Prep Time vs. # of "preps"

Discussion in 'General Education' started by LA/FLnewbie, Apr 22, 2009.

1. LA/FLnewbie

LA/FLnewbie Companion

Apr 22, 2009

Hi! Just for fun, I wanted to compare typical teaching situations...I teach Religion, French, Social Studies, 8th Grade Language Arts, and 6th Grade Language Arts at a Catholic school, and I have two 40-minute preps per week. How many prep periods (free periods) do you have a week, and how many subjects/periods do you teach?

My school is struggling financially and so they might cut PE next year (our only "prep" time) and I don't know how I will survive if they do!

3. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Apr 22, 2009

I teach 1 section of AP Euro, 2 sections of APUSH and and 3 sections of World History. I have a 50 minute of prep time everyday for a total of 6 50 minute classes.

Do you really only have prep time twice a week?????

4. Ceyber

Ceyber Rookie

Apr 22, 2009

I teach 18 hours and get 6 hours prep...

5. ANGRY AL

ANGRY AL Companion

Apr 22, 2009

We get 27-minutes a day prep time. We teach three 85-minute block periods per day, a duty of some sort for 35-minutes, and a 27-minute lunch. This spring, I am teaching all one level of English. In the fall, I taught 3 different subjects.

6. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Apr 22, 2009

I get one 85-minute prep period each day, plus my contract time before and after school (about 45 extra minutes).

I have four different preps: Latin I, Latin II H, Latin III H, AVID. Next year I'm adding Latin IV AP.

7. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Apr 22, 2009

I teach five 55-minute senior English classes, four college prep and one standard. I have one prep period each day. Mine happens to be right after lunch, and since I teach those five periods before lunch, I'm able to sneak out a bit early when I want to. Of course, most days I stay until the end of the school day anyway.

8. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Apr 23, 2009

I have two different classes to prep for (I teach three 80 minute blocks) and I get an 80 minute prep each day. I also get a 40 minute lunch each day (and have a 40 minute study hall duty for the other half of that block). So between lunch and my prep block I have 2 hours in school each day to get work done. It's great! I do have a longer day though than most high schools around here, 7:15 to 3:00.

9. Mrs. R.

Mrs. R. Connoisseur

Apr 23, 2009

I teach a total of 5 42minute periods a day: two blocks of g/t LA and half a block of regular LA. I also have 20 minutes of homeroom ("babysitting") at the end of the day. I have one period of team meeting and two periods of planning time in addition to lunch. I have no extra duties unless I want to sign up and then get paid for them.

I know.... I'm very lucky.

10. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Apr 23, 2009

We have 200 minutes of prep time a week (usually 4-50 minutes blocks).

11. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Apr 23, 2009

This year I have 3 preps, technically: Algebra I Honors, Algebra I for our slowest track, and SAT prep. Sometimes I can dovetail the 2 Algebra preps, sometimes not.

As to prep time: Each day I get at least one full period of prep, ranging from 29 to 38 minutes depending on our schedule. And I'm also on call an average of once a day (sometimes twice, sometimes not at all, depending on which day of the schedule). If those on calls don't become subs, I can prep then as well.

12. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Apr 23, 2009

A typical schedule at my school is to teach 3 90 min. blocks (usually 1-2 preps) and have 90 min. planning.

My schedule is 2 classes (2 different preps) and then 2 back to back 90 min planning periods, plus my lunch, too. So that's 10:30 - 2:30 4 hours - because I am dept chair.

13. Shanoo

Shanoo Habitué

Apr 23, 2009

I teach 3 80-minute blocks per day and I get 1 80-minute prep period. As well, I have a 65 minute lunch. I only do 30 minutes of lunch duty every two weeks.

14. seduflow

seduflow Companion

Apr 23, 2009

WOW! so many different classes

15. Lindsay.Lou

Lindsay.Lou Companion

Apr 23, 2009

I prep for 4 classes
    I have 85 minutes of "prep time" per day.

16. Lindsay.Lou

Lindsay.Lou Companion

Apr 23, 2009

Also wanted to add, i only have a 22 minute lunch, which is BRUTAL. By the time all the students leave my room so that I can leave and lock the door, walk down to the teachers room, open up my lunch and get going, I'm down to 15-18 minutes left. Of course, I also have to leave myself ~2-3 minutes to walk back to my classroom after lunch.

Needless to say, I end up eating my lunch during my prep a lot.

17. goopp

goopp Devotee

Apr 23, 2009

When I grow up I want to be a high school teacher!

I have 8 "preps" (reading, writing, spelling, language arts, math, science, social studies, and health) and I get 40 minutes of planning every day, and at least one day each week we have some kind of meeting during our planning.

18. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Apr 23, 2009

I teach 6 60-minute classes and have 3 Preps--Physical Science (H), Physics, and Physics (H). We are on a rotating schedule and have 6 classes per day. I am off 1 60 minute period per day execpt on the 7th day of the rotation when it is my prep period that rotates out and I teach form 7 am to 3 pm with a 45-minute lunch.

19. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Apr 23, 2009

I do all those preps but for 6 grade levels each day and we have no prep or lunch time. My assistant and I break each other for bathroom breaks and we give each other some meandering time each day to and from the restroom so we can each get a few minutes of down time. That being said, I wouldn't give up my present job for anything!

20. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Apr 23, 2009

We can have up to 150 kids in a given day (depending on the type of schedule) to remember and differentiate to.

21. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Apr 23, 2009

Four 40-minute preps Mon, Tues, Thurs, Fri.
    One 50-minute prep on Wed.

30 minutes after school, but I'd rather socialize and then go home and prep.

22. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Apr 23, 2009

I teach: EngIII, EngIV, EngCP, SIP
    I have 1 prep period per day

23. Charger

Charger Companion

Apr 23, 2009

I teach 6-8 math, science, health, algebra, and an elective. I get 3 breaks/preps a week and that falls under specials like art, pe,etc. If those get cancelled, we do not get our breaks.

24. nattles19

nattles19 Comrade

Apr 23, 2009

We are required to have a minimum of 200 minutes of prep per week, but get more. I get 150 minutes in pullouts and then 2 hours on Wednesday afternoons (early release day).

25. wig

wig Devotee

Apr 24, 2009

I have seven different preps and lunch/recess duty every other day. I have five 40 min. prep periods a week (plus duty free lunch/recess every other day) ONLY because we are in a partnership with the public school district and our specials are covered by their staff. They get to count our kids as one-fourth of a student (I think) for state monies. It is a win-win situation. Teachers that might have been laid off get to retain their job. And we are not teaching outside our area. They travel between the parochial schools teaching foreign language, pe, music, computer, band, and art. The downside is that we never know from year to year if the program will continue until August. We have had excellent teachers. They say they like it because even though they travel (they get mileage) they have far fewer behavior issues to deal with.

26. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Apr 24, 2009

Then do it, absolutely!! There's no point in doing a job you don't love!

The age group is wonderful. Teenagers are so much fun to teach. Once you gain their respect it's really not hard at all.

And I love the material, especially with the older kids. (I lost seniority when I was a SAHM for 6 years. I'm slowly working my way back up to teaching Precalculus and Calculus.)

Math, Chemistry and Physics tend to be the areas where it's easiest to find jobs, in case that influences your decision.

27. Historyteaching

Historyteaching Cohort

Apr 24, 2009

I teach Global Issues-3x and World Civ 3x. I have one 55 min class period prep time. Our lunch period is 4th, I have 30 min with students, 30 min lunch, 30 min with students-just because of my lunch being the 3rd of 5 lunch groups. We don't have to be at the school until 755, the bell rings around 800. I come in by 730..sometimes earlier when I get going to do things and stay after on occasion to finish stuff up.

28. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Apr 24, 2009

What's prep time? I teach 5th grade in a small parochial school, and teach everything except for PE (including music, computers, and art). This year, I actually have about 25 minutes of prep a day after lunch, while my kids are at recess. Next year, though, we probably won't have aides because of budget cuts, so prep time may disappear altogether.

29. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Apr 24, 2009

I'm full time, grade 2. Everyone in my district (specials included) has 175 minutes of prep time per week. For me, this is when my kids go to specials- one per day. The specials range in time from 30 minutes to 45 minutes. Plus I have 1 hour duty-free lunch daily.

30. Doug_HSTeach_07

Doug_HSTeach_07 Comrade

Apr 24, 2009

I teach: US History, American Government, World Geo, and Soc. with one 42-minute prep period every day.

31. Samothrace

Samothrace Cohort

Apr 24, 2009

I have 33 classes a week I see. All different. I generally have 4 different preps each day and Friday's I have 5. My only 'planning' time is fridy afternoons at a different building where my major supplies are kept. So that is mostly spent figuring out my plans and getting supplies, or holding meetings for all the art, music and pe teachers. My actual time to get my cart ready and do any other paperwork is the half hour at the beginning of the day while the kids arrive at school or my own time afterschool.

I would get so much more done if I had time in the week. I teach 7 classes a day with nobreak in between...with the exception of my lunch break.

32. Ron6103

Ron6103 Habitué

Apr 24, 2009

I get one 80 minute prep per day. I teach 4 different classes... World History, Geography, Government, and American History.

33. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Apr 24, 2009

Preps... an interesting one to explain.

Ok, so I do behaviour intervention. I have a set schedule in which I see students. I also work at two different schools. One in the afternoon, and one in the morning. To make matters more complicated, one week I'll be at school A in the afternoon, and the next week it's the morning.

Basically, on weeks when I'm at school A in the morning, I try to leave school A at 11:25. I will drive to school B (30 minutes or so on a nice day) so by the time I actually get to the school it's actually around 12:05-12:10 (in the winter it was much later of course). My prep is from 12:10-12:40. This gives me enough time to eat my lunch. (In other words, not a lot of prepping going on during that prep.)

My other week, I leave school B at 11:05 and arrive at school B around 11:45-11:55 in time for lunch until 12:45. Then I have a prep at 1:15 for half an hour. These are the weeks I get much more prep done (though I tend to get more prep done after school or at home than on my actual prep times anyway.)

Of course, the other problem is that it's often hard to prep for school A when I'm at school B, and vice versa. I can't be carrying my resources around for both schools.

Overall though, I'm starting to get into a rhythm, and the roads are much nicer to travel now than they were in the winter when I ended up totalling my car in the ditch.... so I do get more time out of my prep.

34. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Apr 25, 2009

We have a 6 period, 7-class rotating schedule. The typical teacher teaches 5 out of 7 periods. As department chair, I teach 3 out of 7 classes. Currently, I have 1 APUSH, 1 Western Civ. Honors, and 1 Geo CP. Next year I will (if we keep the schedule) have 1 APUSH, 1 Intro to Law Honors, and 1 AP Euro. Every year I am told I will not teach a math course, but end up teaching one, I am hoping next year I go back to Algebra I or move up to Algebra II. I am much more an Algebra guy, then geometry.

35. ancientcivteach

ancientcivteach Habitué

Apr 25, 2009

4 75 minute classes a day of Social Studies - early world history for the rest of this year. I get a 75 minute prep and lunch with the children.

36. Samothrace

Samothrace Cohort

Apr 27, 2009

I find it interesting that highschool..and sometimes middle generally get the most planning/prep time? anyone know why that is? lol

37. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Apr 27, 2009

I can only speak for myself, but I need every minute of all my planning time to grade papers, respond to parents, and plan for my classes. Unlike an elementary school teacher, I have 200+ students, which means 200 assignments to grade, 200 progress report comments, etc. What takes a 3rd grade teacher 10 minutes to grade takes me a lot more, simply because of the number of papers I'm grading...not to mention the fact that the assignments I give cover the material much more deeply.

38. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

Apr 27, 2009

I get 45 minutes of contract time before school, one 45 minute prep per day, and 35 minute lunch. I teach 3 90 minute blocks.

39. Samothrace

Samothrace Cohort

Apr 27, 2009

I agree and that is exactly what I thought..but I'm an elementary teacher with about 800 students I see each week, yet I have the least amount of prep time. A lot of my time is needed for hanging projects. I'm a strong believer in promoting the arts and the aesthetic feel in a building. I have so many projects that just don't get put up b/c of time. Or only certain classes b/c they fit into my time a bit easier as far as where they are in the building in location to my boiler room....lol

40. wig

wig Devotee

Apr 29, 2009

Having taught everything from PK to 8th, I see the logic behind middle school and high school teachers having more prep time. However, I do think that ele teachers deserve a minimum of 30 minutes a day plus duty free lunch and recess.

41. LA/FLnewbie

LA/FLnewbie Companion

Apr 29, 2009

interesting to see the variety on here! I am debating looking for a traditional middle school or high school job as opposed to my parochial middle school job where I have so many preps and so little time...not for next year, but maybe after that, just to see if it's a better fit.