Prep for unknown grade

Discussion in 'General Education' started by REW, Jul 19, 2021 at 9:41 AM.

1. REW

REW Rookie

Jul 19, 2021 at 9:41 AM

I accepted a position that will be k-2, but unsure the grade yet. Admin has been on summer break. The board director said she’ll let me know ASAP. What can I do to prep in the mean time? I feel a bit lost. I’ve been teaching Prek-K for 3 years. Not sure how much of my class set up and open house material would work for 1st and 2nd. All of my centers are Prek-K based.

3. otterpop

otterpop Phenom

Jul 20, 2021 at 9:38 AM

My advice? Enjoy your summer. If you’re dying to prep something, pick a theme (frogs, rainbows, emojis, etc.) and get stuff to decorate. You can do bulletin boards for any grade (“Jumping into a great new year!” for a frog theme, for instance) and create a welcome sign. In my experience, even in a job you’ve done for awhile, stuff changes so much year to year that it’s hard to prep over the summer. Every time I’ve done so, I’ve only been able to use 50% of what I’ve made. They’ll change computer programs last minute, or announce a new STEM or SEL initiative a few days into staff training, or put out a new format for lesson plans meaning I have to go restructure what I’d already planned. It’s annoying, but I’m resigned to it at this point, so I’m not planning ahead right now. I’m also starting a new job, though, and am looking forward to trying different things!

4. REW

REW Rookie

Jul 21, 2021 at 5:16 PM

Otter pop that’s how I’m feeling- just enjoy the summer. I want to prep
    *something*, but I have no idea what I’ll be walking into. It’s a shared space with the church (short term while the building is under construction). So I don’t know how much I can even decorate.

5. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Jul 22, 2021 at 7:14 AM

Don't worry about decorating. When you start school decorate with the students' work. And not even that much depending on if you'll be moving your class due to the construction.