prenatal

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by love2teach, May 15, 2009.

1. love2teach

love2teach Enthusiast

May 15, 2009

Is it safe to start taking prenatal vitamins before seeing the dr.? I want to start taking them, but will not see my dr. for another 2 weeks!

I bought one a day womens.....

3. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

May 15, 2009

I know alot of women who take them just for the benefits of faster growing nails and hair so I think it's safe.

4. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

May 15, 2009

Nothing bad will come of taking the vitamins...they usually have extra iron which is good for most women.

5. myangel52

myangel52 Comrade

May 15, 2009

I think it is probably okay -- I never consulted my doctor, and was taking them months before getting pregnant, to build up the folic acid. In fact, now that I think about it, I took them for a few years -- pregnant the first time, kept taking them while nursing, kind of slacked off for a while, but then started taking them again when we thought about a second one. As far as I know, there isn't anything harmful in them -- it is just a different concentration of certain vitamins/minerals, such as extra iron (like czacza said), and more folic acid.

6. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

May 15, 2009

Some MDs recommend taking them when you're TTC. I think it's a great idea.

7. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

May 16, 2009

I would say that it is ok but if you are concerned, then just give the nurse at your doctor's office a call. My friend is a nurse for an OB and she is called with little questions all day.

8. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

May 16, 2009

Yep, you're allowed to take them even before you're pregnant. My OB/GYN encourages that.
    Kim

9. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

May 16, 2009

God bless you. I HATED Those things!!! Took them every single day and hated them!!!

10. love2teach

love2teach Enthusiast

May 16, 2009

So I decided to strart taking them last night....holy horse pill!!! These things are HUGE!!!!

11. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

May 16, 2009

Yeah, they're brutal.

And I always got morning sickness 15 minutes after taking one. (Not limited to those times; they were just a given.)

I love being a mom, but I don't miss pregnancy much.

12. cmw

cmw Groupie

May 16, 2009

I started taking them when we decided we we were TTC. I went to my regular dr a few weeks later & she was really happy that I had begun taking them. SHe said it is really important to get folic acid and other things in your system for a healthy baby. :D

13. love2teach

love2teach Enthusiast

May 16, 2009

I had read that they can make you feel nauseous...I decided I would take them before bed with a little snack. I figured better at night than getting sick on my way to work (25 min. drive away...eek!)

14. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

May 17, 2009

That's what I would do: take them just before bed and lie very very still, hoping not to have to go get sick.

Of course, a good part of that may have been the pregnancy hormones, so you may be safe before you actually conceive. And you may be one of those lucky women who don't even get morning sickness.

15. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

May 17, 2009

And if they really bother you, my dr. told me to cut them in half and take half in the AM and half in the PM. Or, just take TWO flinstones and an additional folate. That's what I ended up doing for baby #2 and #3 because we already had flinstones here for my older child....so it was easier that way.
    Kim

16. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

May 17, 2009

I was going to say no. You might find that you have high levels of something already in your system..like iron or whatever. Then you are adding to your problem.

My doctor had a specific type she wanted me to take that had less iron. I then had to switch to another type b/c they made me sick.

Good luck!

PS eat grapefruit or drink grapefruit juice to get your folic acid now.

17. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

May 20, 2009

Prenatal vitamins are great anytime!! But don't take them on an empty stomach. My friend took them while trying to get p.g. and her hair was beautiful!

18. Amanda

Amanda Administrator Staff Member

May 20, 2009

Yep - they are good for you and even recommended during TTC as others pointed out. I discovered the Rainbow Light brand during my second pregnancy. It is food based so it's easier to digest and more easily absorbed by your body. They have a one a day version and another one that you take 6x a day. (Yes, that's hard to keep up with, but it has more calcium total and it's better absorbed since you get less at a time.) I get it at vitacost.com. You're supposed to take them while breastfeeding too. I haven't kept up with them like I should... I should go take one right now. :eek:

BTW, you are more likely to be anemic when you are pregnant so the iron in the prenatal is good. Your iron levels will decrease over the coming months and it's important to be getting adequate levels now so you don't have to play catch up. They'll do a blood test at your first appointment and that is one of the things they test.

19. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

May 20, 2009

I took mine at dinner, so I would remember to take it. Now I don't take the prenatal, but take my multi at dinner. Actually even my lil ones take them at dinner, so we can remind each other....ummm let me rephrase that they remind me!!! LOL!!!!