preliminary phone interview

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by HP_Bug, May 15, 2009.

1. HP_Bug

HP_Bug Rookie

May 15, 2009

In all the interviews I've had I've not experienced this before. I have a phone interview set up for this coming tuesday at 1 pm. She said it would be short -- no longer than 10 minutes. Does anyone know what this would consist of? Just wondering what to prepare for.

3. Jem

Jem Aficionado

May 15, 2009

Phone interviews are tough, because you can't see facial expressions, and you can't predict when they will done speaking. I've had to do a few of them, and I've learned to just listen a lot. I'm a huge talker, and want to jump right in with an answer. But sometimes they will add something, or someone else will pipe in with an addition, and then you can't hear it because you're already talking. Don't be afraid of pauses or a little time inbetween questions and answers.

She probably just wants to get a feel for you. I had a preliminary interview with a director at my current interview-school before the official interview. That way she can make sure she's bringing in great candidates without wasting the interview team's time.

4. HP_Bug

HP_Bug Rookie

May 15, 2009

are there any questions i should be preparing for? with such a short time frame i'm not even sure what we can cover!

5. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

May 15, 2009

Be prepared for the normal types of questions--- my phone conversation covered most of the ones I expected to be asked :) Mine was really nice--- we were on topic, but it wasn't uncomfortable at all.

6. HP_Bug

HP_Bug Rookie

May 19, 2009

quick! help!

Hi!

First off, I had my screening interview scheduled today at 1pm, by phone. I was sitting nervously at my desk and at 1:05 I still hadn't heard from them, so I called them. I asked for the woman who was supposed to have called me and the receptionist informed me that she had gone home sick for the day....:eek:

So then I was floored by the fact that no one had informed me. I know that things are busy and complicated, especially so close to the end of the year. But it still made me feel a little bit unworthy, if that makes any sense.

The receptionist put me on hold and tracked down a principal for me to speak with. He asked me some standard questions which I thought I answered pretty well. here's my question:

Do I send a thank you note for a screening interview that was conducted by phone? I know the name of the woman who was supposed to speak with me but I don't know the name of the principal with whom I actually spoke. Anyone wanna throw in their :2cents: on this?

7. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

May 19, 2009

I would send a thank you and can you check out the school's website or the district's webpage to get the name of the P?

8. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

May 19, 2009

I would, absolutely.

9. HP_Bug

HP_Bug Rookie

May 19, 2009

I believe I know the name of the P but I'm not 100%. I can look at the website, but I'm not sure if it was the middle school P or a different one I spoke with. I believe it was the MS P. Should I chance it? Should I send one just to the person I spoke with or both he and the woman I was supposed to talk to? I've never done a screening interview before :/

10. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

May 19, 2009

I would send a thank you to the person you talked to.

11. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

May 19, 2009

You could call and ask the receptionist who you were interviewed by, so that you can send a thank you card. I'm glad to hear that it went well. Good luck!

12. frogger

frogger Devotee

May 19, 2009

I had one before I moved to another state. They just asked some basic questions nothing big, I guess to get a feel for me and then said I was good to go to interview with principals, etc.