Prelimary credential to Clear credential

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by Flewin, Jul 8, 2017.

1. Flewin

Flewin Rookie

Jul 8, 2017

Hi,
    I had preliminary credential for single subject English teaching issued back in 2005.I passed CBEST in 2007.I never taught in any school.Because of family, I was not able to complete any required coursework by 2011 which was the deadline. I have worked as para educator in special ed for 10 years.Now I want to go back to teaching.But my preliminary credential can't be renewed. I called county they said
    1.I have to apply for an appeal to one year extension. Can anyone tell me what documents or letters can I put accompanying the application to support my case?
    2.Can all required coursework towards clear credential be completed from different universities e.g. some from UCSandiego,UCLA?
    Do they give transcripts?

3.After coursework and exams like CSET, U.S.Constitution are done how do we apply for clear credential?
    Is done through CCTC online or we have to request it though college,university, county?
    4.If I don't get extension of 1 year ,I will not get job,then how will I clear my BTSA requirement? What could be my options?
    I would appreciate any help anybody can offer since I feel very confused.

3. justwanttoteach

justwanttoteach Cohort

Jul 8, 2017

1.I have to apply for an appeal to one year extension. Can anyone tell me what documents or letters can I put accompanying the application to support my case?
    Letters of Rec from your direct supervisor AND Principal at your school site. (Where you were a para)

2.Can all required coursework towards clear credential be completed from different universities e.g. some from UCSandiego,UCLA? Do they give transcripts?
    Yes they give transcripts-I would order OFFICIAL and Unofficial transcripts. When you submit your stuff to the CTC you will need OFFICIAL. Some will likely transfer..some might not depending .but the best thing to do is to have the CTC or maybe another University counselor look them over to see what all you would need. If you have the time, I would make an appointment to speak with someone in the Dept of Ed for the county you work in and try and meet face to face with someone who handles credentials. (This way you can ask all kinds of questions and you have a name that you can refer back to) I am assuming you have done the TPA's? If you can get on somewhere as a teacher...some districts pay for the induction/BTSA process for you. (This is important information to ask while you are interviewing.)..I mean why pay the money for classes if you dont have to? The only thing I had to pay for was the application and processing fee for my Clear. (It was like $130

3.After coursework and exams like CSET, U.S.Constitution are done how do we apply for clear credential? Is it done through CCTC online or we have to request it though college,university, county? Have you passed the CSET/Constitution exams? The short answer is-you can either go back to a university and go through their Clear Credential Program or Go through the county office of Education or as I said above-complete Induction program through an employing district. WHICHEVER, route you take will determine who and how you are recommended for a Clear Credential
    4.If I don't get extension of 1 year ,I will not get job,then how will I clear my BTSA requirement? What could be my options? You would likely have to go back to school. You might think about applying for an Emergency and or Emergency Sub credential in the meantime. If nothing else it will allow you to work and gain classroom experience while this is being sorted out. GOOD LUCK

4. Flewin

Flewin Rookie

Jul 8, 2017

Thank you very much for answering question by question.I really appreciate it.I haven'the pass cset or constitution exam yet but have stated working towards it.Also figured out from where can I do courses.I had called county credential advisor but she refered to direct my questions to CCTC & apply for appeal &not to apply for courses until I figure out.
    Sorry but I didn't understand what you mean by TPA'S? I know that the district I work as para have BTSA for free.If they hire me,I can get BTSA done but it is 2 year program & I will get extension only for one year .What will happen for second year,will district apply extension on my behalf? I really don't know.

5. mathteachertobe

mathteachertobe Cohort

Jul 9, 2017

My district has an accelerated BTSA option, which only takes one year. It is available if your preliminary credential is close to expiring. I think most CA districts that have their own BTSA programs offer an option like that.

I'm a little confused, though. I don't understand how you have a preliminary credential without having passed the constitution test or your CSETs.

6. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Jul 9, 2017

This is my question, too. I never had to take the constitution test (can't remember why), but CSET is definitely a requirement. And how did you take your CBEST after being issued your credential? Something tells me this might have to do with the year you got your credential - maybe the requirements were different? - but I'm pretty clueless about this.

7. Flewin

Flewin Rookie

Jul 9, 2017

Hi,
    I have completed my teachers program out of country.Passing CSET & U.S. constitution are the requirements given to me to clear my credential. Thanks for your reply I will check about accelerated program.Thanks!

8. Flewin

Flewin Rookie

Jul 9, 2017

Maybe because I am out of country applicant.Also I submitted my foreign transcript evaluation to cctc.Based on the coursework I have completed, I think through evaluation report they give required courses that I have to take &exams I need to clear.

9. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 9, 2017

yellowdaisies, if you didn't have to take a US Constitution exam, it's probably because your undergrad coursework included one or more classes that fulfilled the US Constitution requirement. (Graduates of CSU and UC are automatically exempted from the US Constitution exam for this reason.) CBEST has been the chief way to establish basic-skills competency since at least the 1990s.

Flewin, thanks for explaining why you have a teaching license without CSET and the US Constitution test; I was as puzzled as were yellowdaisies and mathteachertobe. I think extensions to preliminary credentials are being issued fairly routinely - when teaching jobs were in very short supply a few years ago, a number of people's preliminary credentials expired, and the standard advice then was to apply for the extension when one was finally in a position to do something about it. You'll apply for the clear credential through CTC online, yes. Teaching Performance Assessments (TPAs) weren't being required in 2005, so it's possible that you don't need to worry about them; if you do, CTC will let you know (though it would make sense to ask sooner rather than later).

10. Flewin

Flewin Rookie

Jul 9, 2017

11. Flewin

Flewin Rookie

Jul 9, 2017

Thank you Moderator! If clear credential can be applied online then I should start taking reading skills,health education & other courses required for my clearing credential through University & should request original transcripts &submit it with my application ,right?

12. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 9, 2017

Several of those courses sound like prerequisite courses; you might see which of them you can take at a community college, which will charge much lower fees than a CSU does. But your first order of business, I think, is to apply for the extension to your preliminary credential.

13. Flewin

Flewin Rookie

Jul 9, 2017

Sure Moderator, I was trying to enroll because someone told me that I can show enrollment confirmation as a proof of my working towards clearing credential. I will check in community colleges for the courses.Thanks for advise!

14. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 10, 2017

("Moderator" is a role: I'm one of the volunteers who help keep A to Z Forums friendly. My username is "TeacherGroupie".)

The chances are pretty good that the school of education at your local CSU (examples: San Diego State, Cal State Northridge) will have a webpage that lists those prerequisite courses and their equivalents at the local community colleges (examples: Cuyamaca College, Pierce College). For that matter, the education departments at the community colleges are likely to list the courses that serve as prerequisites for the local CSUs.