PreK with no assistant...anyone one else? Plus, behavior management tips needed!

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by PreK4/5, Sep 9, 2012.

1. PreK4/5

PreK4/5 New Member

Sep 9, 2012

Hi. This is my first year teaching Pre-K in my elementary school. This is my 10th year of teaching, and I have taught every grade from K-3rd. This year, I have a Pre-K 4/5 year old class of 11 students. Originally, I was told that I would have an aide like the other two sections of preschool at my school. However, since my class size is small, the aide was pulled to another class and now I have no assistance.

My question is this- Is there anyone else on here that doesn't have an aide in Pre-K? How do you manage small group instruction time? How do you handle assisting a child in the bathroom and leaving the rest of the class alone in the bigger area of the room? This has happened four times already and tomorrow is only the 4th day of school! How do you handle taking the kids outside for playtime, only to have a student tell you five minutes later that they need to use the bathroom (even after everyone just went before coming outside!) again. With no aide, I have to line everyone back up to go back inside to take that 1 child to the restroom. What do you do??

Also, the majority of my class has really impressed me so far in regards to following rules, sitting quietly at story time, playing so nicely together at playtime, eating and taking care of garbage/clean-up, and they clean up like champions when Free Play is over. However, I have one student that will not sit at the carpet for circle time. He wants to sit on my chair, or on my lap, or he will simply get up and wander around, take out toys, dump the food in the play kitchen, climb up the steps to the top of the loft area, in which case I tell him I will count backwards from 5 down to 0. When I reach 0, if hasn't listened to the teacher, he will have a time out. Usually, he's not even listening to me, even though I am at his level right in front of him and asked him to look at me. He won't stay in the time out chair. He goes and hides under the easel, or under a table.
    I also have jobs in my room and he feels he needs to do every job before the other person has a chance. Even after he gets in line, he will rush up to the front of the line to try to be the line leader. He will race to the light switch when I ask the actual lights helper to turn off the lights, etc. When he does decide to join the group, he just sits and makes loud growling and gurgling noises the entire time I'm teaching. ANY SUGGESTIONS?? I am going to try a behavior plan this week and see how it goes, but even the psychologist came in to observe this week and said he has issues. No kidding!
    Thanks in advance for your advice!
    :)

3. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Sep 9, 2012

wow :( I'm so sorry, because I truly feel that all Pre-Kinder teachers & Kindergarten teachers need an aide at all times.
    Could you explain (or put it in writing) it just like you did here to your principal? Sometimes, they just don't think about all the little things that pop up. And do mention that child as well.
    I wish you well. Keep in touch.

4. OhThePlaces

OhThePlaces Cohort

Sep 9, 2012

I have a class of threes this year (our program is 3 half-days a week). I do have a FT aide and only 7 students... Another aide was out on Friday, so I had to share mine... Being without an aide is tough! I give you a lot of credit for doing it on your own every day! We're having the same bathroom issues. We only have our kids for 3.5 hours. We ask all parents to take their children potty before dropping them off each morning, then we make a group trip to the big restrooms halfway through our morning. My poor assistant spends most of circle time and recess taking kids to the restroom. :(

5. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Sep 9, 2012

I can only tell you that I think it's ridiculous how our aids in kindergarten do not go with the students to their activity classes. Instead they stay behind and help the teacher cut things and make copies. If a teaher who specializes in kindergarten needs an aid for her twenty-two kindergarteners, why would a PE teacher not need one for those same children? Those same children who sometimes act crazy because they see those classes as being an extra recess?

6. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Sep 9, 2012

None of the pre-k teachers around here get aides anymore, even with classes much larger than yours. My friend has 27.

You need a conference with the principal. Does he require line of sight at all times - if so, how does he suggest you handle these situation?. Better yet, put it in an email. That way if he says you can let them go to the bathroom by themselves you have it in writing.

Try to recruit parent volunteers.

Take them all to the bathroom before small group time.

It will get better as the kids mature and get used to you.

I think you will need to spend a lot of time teaching procedures, procedures, procedures before you get much small group time in. With a group that size, I might just try instruction as a whole group until they settle down.

7. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Sep 9, 2012

I agree, large classes means the routine is Paramount! Do you have rhyming songs or short finger rhymes, or some very short, very engaging sort of game that can be played while waiting in line? Line them all up and go "potty" at the same times (one of them prior to recess) each day. Play the games so that the time you sit in the line isn't "lost" in the eyes of the admin. It will get better, but make sure you are working your routine EVERYDAY! Any changes and they will totally be on to you and you will have to start ALL over again.

Small group time won't really work well until the group is working as a team with success. That is fine, even older classrooms are working on routines at the beginning of the year. For you routines IS your learning objective. Slide the other things in as you can...but focus on routines. Even a song like "down by the bay" can work on phonemic awareness while you are all sitting in a line waiting for everyone to go potty.

8. mrs_sarahscott

mrs_sarahscott Rookie

Sep 9, 2012

I have nothing to add here, but I just wanted to bump this to the front and let you know I feel your pain. I have 14 pre-kinders and no aide as well. I also have a 4-year-old girl who sounds exactly like your challenging student, and I'm still trying to determine if she's just immature or if she's slightly delayed.

You're not alone!

:) Sarah

9. preschoolheart

preschoolheart Rookie

Sep 9, 2012

Sounds like a challenging situation.
    Could you talk with the other teachers and try to go outside with another class so that if you need to take a child in for something, the other teacher could watch your class for a minute?

10. Rebel1

Rebel1 Connoisseur

Sep 9, 2012

Outside is the time that most of us teachers get to run in to do something while the other teacher watches, AS LONG AS SHE IS WITHIN RATIO. It is not the safest time to leave a teacher with a bunch of kids, because of all the different activities that the children are doing; the slide, merry go round, the swings, ball games, etc., BUT it's the time we do it.
    I have had 15 with no aide, and I just had to rearrange my times for certain things. I have a child like yours and last week I found something he loves to do. In fact, I found 2 things! I have a horse shoe shaped magnet with a ton of metal bottle caps. HE was doing this activity for the looooooooooooooongest time, and he won't leave it alone! The other one was a ball bouncing activity. I taught him how to bounce a small basketball and catch it, AND this kid mastered it in about 30 minutes. He did this for about 2 hours until he went home! I use the Positive Modification chart; I move his sticker every time he does something nice. When he gets to the end then he will go to my treasure box.
    Rebel1