PreK Student Hit by School Bus on School Grounds

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by RainStorm, Jan 11, 2009.

1. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Jan 11, 2009

This is not in my district, but one in a neighboring area. It is just the saddest thing I've read. A 4 year old little boy was hit and killed right in front of the school -- with other students looking on! His mother was a teacher at that school!

http://hamptonroads.com/2009/01/4yearold-meme-was-full-energy-brought-lot-joy

We have no idea what really happened, and won't until the investigation is complete. I'm glad the media isn't jumping to any conclusions -- so many times people instantly blame the bus driver, or blame the teacher, or blame the parent, or blame the child, without knowing the facts or details.

I'm so glad my school doesn't allow PreKs to ride the bus. Even the Ks have to be walked to the bus and actually put on the first step of the bus by their teacher. No Ks are dismissed until all of the buses have arrived and are parked -- so there is no way a K could get hit by a bus while boarding the buses.

My heart goes out to that little darling's family.

3. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Jan 11, 2009

I'm scared to even read that article. I might start bawling. How sad!

4. Arky

Arky Comrade

Jan 11, 2009

Please let us know when you learn more.

5. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jan 11, 2009

Yeah, I'll skip the article too. But I will go hug my kids.

What a horrible thing! I'll keep the child and his family in my prayers.

6. becky

becky Enthusiast

Jan 11, 2009

A similar thing happened long ago at the elementary next door. They eventually remodeled the layout of the entry/parking area, and added a bus lane.
    At another school further away, a child was hit by a car crossing the road to get to school. This happened on a hill, and the driver didn't see the child until it was too late.

7. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jan 11, 2009

I do traffic duty everyday...I see parents driving FAST through our loop, double parking, waving their kids off the curb into traffic...It's ridiculous. I'm out there DAILY reminding kids to stay on the curb until their car stops AT the curb, reminding parents to have a little patience and wait until a spot opens, to drive slower...I'm fearful of something tragic happening...there have been a few 'fender benders' as parents drive with their cell phones on their ears (illegal), scanning the sidewalk for their kids instead of looking at the cars in the lane with them...I wish I could write tickets!!

8. Ross

Ross Comrade

Jan 11, 2009

This is a nightmare. I am devastated reading this.

I will second czacza's comments. Everyone needs to pay attention and slow down. When I have bus duty, the buses exit the slots like race cars. I often thought the buses were overpowered. The parents and teachers do not drive any safer.

The result is a tragic accident.

9. emmakate218

emmakate218 Connoisseur

Jan 11, 2009

:(

10. Lindsnh

Lindsnh Companion

Jan 11, 2009

That is so sad... people can be so careless when driving on Friday while we were on the playground our counselor drove on the grounds while our kids were running around!! We were screaming stop! We had no idea who it was or what they were doing.She was too lazy to walk across campus (she was bringing food to a emd class who earned a reward). The classroom she was going is a mobile unit beside the playground. When we were like "What are you doing"??? She got an attitude! She said maybe I should not have driven back here then laughed!

11. Ms Petunia

Ms Petunia Rookie

Jan 11, 2009

This is such a sad story. I have worked at 2 different school districts and the craziest part of the day is at dismissal. At my present school many parents pick-up their children by car and buses load and exit all at the same time, it is chaotic! We are lucky we have never had something like this happen.

12. terptoteacher

terptoteacher Connoisseur

Jan 11, 2009

Tried to read it, but couldn't get past the picture. So sad

13. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jan 11, 2009

This is sad. I will keep the family in my prayers.