PreK pay

Discussion in 'Early Childhood Education Archives' started by JillC, Aug 29, 2006.

1. JillC

JillC Rookie

Aug 29, 2006

I interviewed this week and was offered a lead teacher position in a Universal PreK and was just curious if any of you would be willing to share what your starting pay was? I have my masters and don't need health benefits and it really seems like what they are offering is too low.

3. tm91784

tm91784 Comrade

Aug 29, 2006

I work in a private Catholic school preschool program and make $15,300 a year and half of my health benefits are paid for. The school is prek-8 and all teachers are paid the same wage. They do not offer any increase for a masters (I have a bachelor's).

4. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Aug 29, 2006

Well here Pre-K in many sites is run by the public schools So I make public school teacher salary--- I believe starting now-a-days is 35,000 but I could be off by a few 1,000. (up or down)--- Masters you would get more...

5. JillC

JillC Rookie

Aug 29, 2006

This is a prek through the school district, but it is at a childcare center. We would follow the district's school calendar- same days off, etc, but it would be hourly pay nowhere close to regular teacher salaries in the district.

6. Sabby12s

Sabby12s Companion

Aug 29, 2006

I teach preschool, not Pre-K, for a non-profit agency. Before taxes I make $28,000 and my benefits are 100% paid for!

7. JillC

JillC Rookie

Aug 29, 2006

This isn't sitting right with me and I'm thinking they're trying to pull something over on me. With 8 years of school- bachelors and masters degress in elementary ed prek-6 you would think I would be worth more than $10/hr, right? Am I completely crazy?

8. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Aug 29, 2006

Um considering I made $12.50 an hour with out my degree doing after care (mind you it was a high needs population) but yes that is CRAZY if you ask me...

9. Sabby12s

Sabby12s Companion

Aug 29, 2006

I have a master's degree but it isn't in early childhood. I made more than $10 an hour when I worked as a counselor for the Boys and Girls Club.

Are you sure you heard them correctly?

10. JillC

JillC Rookie

Aug 29, 2006

Oh I heard her correctly, cuz you bet I questioned her on it after she said it- almost hit the floor! 10/hr with morning and afternoon sessions- 18 kids in each.

11. JillC

JillC Rookie

Aug 29, 2006

AND I DON'T NEED ANY BENEFITS! SORRY JUST VENTING!

12. MsTeckel

MsTeckel Comrade

Aug 29, 2006

Daycare Pre-ks do not pay much. 10 an hour is actually pretty good for a prek in a daycare center. Day Cares around where I live only pay like 7.50-8/hour for teachers. the teachers only have to have a 2 year degree.

Do you have to be a certified teacher? You probably could get more money working as an aide in a public school. Depends on what you really want to do.

Just asking...not attacking in any means...but why look in a day care when you have a masters?

13. JillC

JillC Rookie

Aug 29, 2006

Yes- you have to be a certified teacher/4 yr degree. This isn't a daycare- the school district has implemented a Universal PreK program and utilizes the center simply for the space/rooms. I would get visits from school principals and the district superintendent. I graduated with my masters in 2004 and el. ed. positions are very hard to come by/ very cometitive. New York is one of the toughest to get an elementary position. I have applied and reapplied everywhere since I earned my degree and you're lucky to get a prescreen interview. Thought I'd try Prek to get some experience, but for $10/hr it's not worth leaving my 2 young sons, buying a wardobe, supplies, gas $, etc

14. MsTeckel

MsTeckel Comrade

Aug 30, 2006

oh wow, Thats nuts. Its like an insult to recieve 10 dollars an hour. If you need the experience, its up to you. Depends on how much experience is worth to you. Good luck in whatever you decide!

15. Alitig1

Alitig1 Rookie

Aug 30, 2006

I was offered a UPK position in a daycare setting - am and pm 3 hour classes and they started of at $10 per hour here as well, and I have a master's degree too.

I took a job as a SPED pre k teacher in the public school system for $38900

Big difference here.

16. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

Aug 30, 2006

I'd also consider that pay insulting. If you decide to turn down the job, make sure you tell them why...I'm sure they already realize how little they are paying compared to public school teachers grades K and up, but it can't hurt to point that out to them!
    Kim

17. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Aug 30, 2006

It depends on your school/center. If you lived here, there are places that pay even less than that.

18. tm91784

tm91784 Comrade

Aug 30, 2006

Yes, I get paid less than that even though I get a salary.

19. aprilgurlie

aprilgurlie Rookie

Aug 30, 2006

Yeah, wow, isn't the reason we go to college is so that we can make MORE than 10 dollars an hour? You are worth so much more. In my district, paras make more than that and have benefits. They need almost no education for some positions here. With a masters, you deserve more.

20. JillC

JillC Rookie

Aug 30, 2006

Thanks everybody. I turned down the postion today and they called back and offered 25 cents more than they originally did. UNBELIEVABLE in my opinion- my time home with my kids is worth more than the experience. I was very insulted- now they're stuck trying to find a teacher by next Wednesday. Parents are calling wanting to meet the teacher and they have to tell them they don't have one!

21. Sabby12s

Sabby12s Companion

Aug 30, 2006

I guess a lot of it depends on your area's cost of living. The cost of living in Seattle can be high especially if you want to buy a house.

22. mrs.oz

mrs.oz Companion

Aug 31, 2006

I am a licensed teacher working in a public school also. I only have a bachelors so wouldn't know what a masters would make starting but I make $36,000. But that is after a 10 year step.

23. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

Aug 31, 2006

Wow, ms. oz, I'm not far from you...but my pay is much higher. Ever think of moving north to MD? I am on my 11th year, but had 6 months subtracted for maternity leaves, am also in a public school preK and I will make $48,500 this year.
    Kim

24. mrs.oz

mrs.oz Companion

Sep 1, 2006

Wow! Would like to come there. Don't think my husband would move though. You make that with a Bachelors degree?

25. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

Sep 1, 2006

No, I do have my master's. Here, it's required (that or an equivalency). You have to start it within five years of receiving your first certification, and have to finish it within five years of starting it....but the pay raise when you get the master's is only $1000 a year. So, without it, you'd be making about $47,500 - if you could even teach without it.
    Kim

26. MUgrad1990

MUgrad1990 Rookie

Sep 2, 2006

This is my first year teaching at a private, church-affiliated preschool. I am teaching 2's, 2 mornings a week. So I'll be teaching 6 hours total a week, and my starting pay is $14 an hour, no benefits. I have my BS with dual certification in Elementary and Early Childhood Ed. I am fortunate that I don't have to put food on the table with this money. It's all extra. I'd be in trouble if I needed to "survive" on this job! But alas, I'm doing it because I love it, not for the money!

27. Shylac

Shylac Rookie

Sep 2, 2006

I too once got interviewed for a pre-k position in NY because i wanted a job right away they offered me $11.00 and hour and no benefits, and i had my bachelors in ele education 1-6 and i was pursuing my masters degree. I told her while i was there that i wasnt interested at all and she pretended she got a phone call to make me leave!

28. JillC

JillC Rookie

Sep 2, 2006

It's very insulting and so sad for those kids- you would think they would want qualified teachers in those rooms. The job sounded great, the staff was wonderful, but I am not willing to do it just because I love teaching and love the kids. I have my own family to think about too. School starts Wednesday- wonder if they found someone yet? As of last Thursday they thought they would have me in there. What really ticked me off was that during my interview they told me my pay would be around $15/hr- then everything changed when they called me with the job offer. Her excuse was that "I must have misunderstood." I didn't misunderstand anything- I have all my notes from the interview as proof of that.

29. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Sep 3, 2006

Jill, if it is in a childcare center, not that I am siding with them, I can understand why their pay would be low. A lot of people don't understand the budgeting of a childcare center. A lot goes back into the programs (or should) and so much revenue (80% of it) goes towards salaries already. Then there is utilities, supplies, etc. I'm wondering why it's in a childcare if it's part of the school system. I guess that doesn't make any sense to me. Does the PS rent out the space or something?

30. ksmomy

ksmomy Companion

Sep 3, 2006

In NC we have a program called More at Four that runs along with the public schools. It is a pre-k program for kids that will be entering kindergarten in the fall. Some of the programs are in the public schools but a lot of them are set up in child care centers. The salaries of the teachers are the same as if they were teaching in the public schools. They get the same holidays, benefits, etc. The money for the salaries is provided through the state; the center does not have to pay them.

31. irismom

irismom New Member

Sep 4, 2006

My family educator job recently had hours cut down, so I needed to look for an additional job. I was offered two at various daycares (both of which were 30 miles + each way). Both were less than $8.00 an hour. I find that very sad considering I have a bachelor's and am halfway through a grad. degree. I turned them down and accepted a very part-time position (7 hours a week) at a Christian preschool. This pays $12 an hour. Obviously, this is still not enough hours a week. I figured I would have better luck substitute teaching in the area schools. It may not be consistent, but the pay is better. It just seems so sad that most early childhood positions aren't considered important enough to be paid well.

32. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Sep 4, 2006

That makes a lot more sense to me. I'm wondering if that is the same type of situation as Jill's, but it doesn't seem to be. Not with that low of pay. I wonder if they say they work with the school system, but they are really part of the daycare? Can you explain this a little more Jill? It just doesn't add up.

33. teachder

teachder Companion

Sep 4, 2006

This is my first year at this school, it's first year with the prek program. I get around 30,000 before taxes as well as full medical and dental. I took this job for many reasons. My last job was 10.75/hr with no benefits. And i was the main teacher with little assistance. I also was the room janitor. I took that job because i wanted a full time job in a school setting. I tried being a paraed but couldn't in the class/school i was assigned. I loved the job-the kids/parents/staff but always knew i would find something more. That is where i am now....a catholic school prek teacher with salary, benefits and a janitor(s) and an assistant. Plus the feeling of a community within the school i can't wait to see my students continue in grades to come at the same school. I always had to give reasons why i didn't just take a higher paying job for a higher grade, but to me i knew if i held out i would get what i truly felt called to do. Given all that, i still live at my parents house. The cost of living near seattle is high therefore most of my pay this year is going into a savings account a great APY. But mainly the fact that i am not spending is the best way to help for next year (or perhaps the winter) when i do move out. Just as with my career, I know what i want in housing and I won't move out just because i should....I am not going to rent, i'm going to own a house so that it will be another investment.

Sabby12s- what part of washington state do you live in? I'm near everett.

Well, time to go for a hike before tomorrow's first day!
    Good luck this year everyone.
    Melissa

34. Sabby12s

Sabby12s Companion

Sep 4, 2006

Jenpooh ~ Does this help answer your question? Seems like the school district is just utilizing the child care center's space. Jillc - correct me if I'm wrong.

35. Sabby12s

Sabby12s Companion

Sep 4, 2006

Melissa ~ I leave in Seattle and teach in Bothell. Congrats on finding a well paying pre-k position!

36. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Sep 4, 2006

I do remember reading that, but I am wondering how honest the center was in explaining it and everything, or wondering if they explained it well for that matter. For example, we have a preschool here who runs exactly with the school district calendar but it is not an actual part of the school system, but many people assume (because they follow the calendar) that they are "part" of the district when they are not. Perhaps they didn't explain it how it really was. Or, perhaps they really are a part of the system and the pay really is that bad. That is what I am wondering, if that makes any sense. Not sure if I am explaining it well.

37. MissENJ

MissENJ Rookie

Sep 4, 2006

Are you in NYC? If so, would it be worth it to come to Jersey? Our starting salary is in the mid-40's for Master's (I'm in North Jersey....about 15 minutes to NYC).

38. Sabby12s

Sabby12s Companion

Sep 4, 2006

JenPooh ~ I know the kind of programs you are talking about. At the preschool I work at there are 3 classrooms. The half day preschool classroom operates on the local school districts calendar. It is closed when the public schools are closed and so on. However, our preschool is not affiliated with the school district, they are two different entities.

Hopefully, Jillc will come back to explain.

39. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Sep 4, 2006

Actually, MissENJ just quoted something that sums it up quite well! I don't remember seeing that post. It sounds like they utilize the space for the PS. I wonder why their pay is so low then. I'm not from around where JillC is. Could it be rural? Do they even have many rural areas in NY? I know rural areas can pay a lot lower than in the city. Perhaps maybe it's just a struggling district.

40. Weaver

Weaver Rookie

Sep 4, 2006

I started out as an asst in pre-k, after 2 years moved on as head teacher( Nobody else seemes to be sticking around) in the Pre-k Program. It is a daycare center, 10 years later and a CDA (didn't need it already grandfathered in) making about $10 an hour as Head. Since I've been on board as head teacher, I do graduation shows, yearbook committees, staff involvment and open houses, all on my own creativity and long hours on weekends and nights, all unpaid. I guess I ask myself why I stay? Just as soon as I'm ready to leave, the next class of parents always say they are looking forward to their child getting me as their teacher. Use to get recogniton in the beginning but now it's expected of me every year, so that has even worn off. Oh well, I know overall staying in a daycare center, pay will always stay low. I just feel it's my job to get the kids off to a good start into kindergarten, no matter the cost.

41. Weaver

Weaver Rookie

Sep 4, 2006

Forgot to mention that I also close the daycare at night and receive no health benefits through them.