PreK parent here with question....

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by woobie5, Nov 3, 2009.

1. woobie5

woobie5 Comrade

Nov 3, 2009

This is my son's first year of preschool. He attends a morning preschool session two days a week for two hours. They are done at 11:00 a.m. My question is ... it seems almost every day when I pick him up the teacher hands out some sort of treat, either a sucker, candy etc. Sometimes it's from the teacher and sometimes it's from other kids in the class.

The problem I am having is that my son MELTS DOWN if I try to take his "treat" away from him. Normally I wouldn't care .... and let him enjoy the treat ... but it's RIGHT before lunch time :eek: And I drop him off at daycare and he usually hasn't finished his treat in time which isn't fair to the other kids at the daycare. I also pick up another little boy that goes to th same preschool and same daycare. So trying to take TWO 3 year olds treats away seems daunting! I am also rushed for time b/c I have to get back to work so I can't just let them sit in the car and finish their treats.

My questions is ... would it be wrong to ask the teacher to put the kids' treats in their backpacks and let the parents decide when they can enjoy them? Or how would you handle it or want it handled if I were one of your kids' parents?

3. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Nov 3, 2009

I don't think that would be wrong at all. Personally, I would ask for treats to be limited to once a week, or less. And when they are handed out, to be put into a backpack. And I would explain the reasons you just gave.

My dd1 has awful teeth. We severely limit her exposure to sticky candy, and I would be pretty upset if she were getting candy all the time from a teacher. Blame your dentist!

4. Mrs_Barrett

Mrs_Barrett Cohort

Nov 4, 2009

I would talk to the teacher and explain your issues with the treats. I don't see why she wouldn't listen to you.

5. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Nov 4, 2009

I'm not one who gives out treats every day... occasionally, sure, but definately not every day (Even if it is a 2-day-a-week program). But if I were that type, and you came to me with what you asked us, I'd do everything I could to help you out. I agree that it makes sense to let the parents decide when the treat is OK.

Not to mention that we're not allowed to giveo ut any candy or junk food at school, period. (Kids who brought candy or cupcakes or whatever on Halloween had to take it back home with them, they couldn't even pass it out. Made it really tough on the teachers who had to disassemble the treat bags to remove all the candy and leave the pencils and stickers).

6. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Nov 4, 2009

I don't think you're over stepping either. We don't give our own very much candy. Even the grandparents ask if it's ok. I would say a sticker or even a lick & stick tattoo, might be a little more reasonable.

7. Rebel1

Rebel1 Connoisseur

Nov 4, 2009

:(THAT sucks!:eek:
    Well! I know MOST of the public schools have rules like that. I work in a privately owned Pre-school. The Director is pretty cool about letting the children share what they bring BUT they have to be "STORE BOUGHT".:)

For the Pre-school parent...
    Ask the teacher and hope that she's cool and understanding.
    Some of the teachers will not even allow you to keep anything in your child's bag, because he/she knows it's there. Through out the day, that child will be trying his/her best to sneak a bite @ every chance he/she gets. To avoid confrontations among the children; taddling abt. Alex eating and not sharing, etc., it is best that you do not even have it in the bag. I've had other children sneak into other children's cubbies & party on whatever is in there. It all depends on the teacher and what mood she's in!:lol:
    Good luck,
    Rebel1

8. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

Nov 5, 2009

I don't think that's wrong at all. We have a no candy policy, and the teachers are not supposed to use any type of food as a reward/incentive. The school's philosophy is to try to get them to learn to be good because of internal regulation, not for external rewards.

9. sarzacsmom

sarzacsmom Groupie

Nov 5, 2009

Perhaps the program needs to relook at the whole policy--- I would never be allowed to do something like that---hard enough to even get to do it on holidays

10. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Nov 5, 2009

I have handed out baby suckers at the end of the day. I did it for a reason, to have parents come into my office so I could discuss their bill with me. I had parents complain, so I stopped except for special ocassions. Sometimes teachers slip, and parents must remember that we are not perfect.

11. shellie1619

shellie1619 Rookie

Nov 6, 2009

I do not think that you are out of line at all. I would like to know what the teacher is thinking giving out a food treat at the end of the day and allowing the children to open it and begin to eat it as they are walking out the door with the parent.
    As a teacher I would hand it to the child with the parent present and state "ask mom/dad if you can eat that now" and leave it to the parent to make the decision.

12. LvToyFoxTerrier

LvToyFoxTerrier Rookie

Nov 6, 2009

If my students are given a treat, I always tell them to put it in their cubbie and they can get it out when it is time to go home. Then they must ask their parents when it is Ok to eat it, explaining that their parents may want them to eat lunch first, etc. I have never had a problem with this with the kids or the parents. :whistle: