PreK - K combination??

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by Miller59, Jun 1, 2011.

1. Miller59

Miller59 Companion

Jun 1, 2011

I teach in a very small private school. I'm finishing up my second year with PreK and I love my job.

I'm pretty sure our director is planning to combine PreK and kindergarten next year. She hasn't come right out and said so -- but I'm fairly sure this is the plan. She has talked about this plan in very vague terms and, so far, isn't offer much guidance in how to structure this new arrangement.

Right now I expect to have 8 PreK kids ranging in age from 3 to 4 to older 4's (turning 5 soon into the school year). We have only 3 K's enrolled right now - one reason for the combination class -- but 1 of the 3 is reading on a strong 1st grade level and has math skill almost that advanced.

I'm not sure I'm going to get the guidance I would like to have from my director. I am not a kindergarten teacher and really feel I lack the knowledge to excel in this role.

So -- I'm not really sure what I'm asking except HELP!! How can this work? What can I do to get ready? Anyone have experience with this combo?

I am worried that a job I love is going to become a job I hate.

3. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jun 1, 2011

The old daycare that I worked with had a pre-K/K combo class for awhile. First, will you be the only teacher? Will you have an assistant?

Next, I would start by familiarizing myself with the common core standards for K. It would give you a basic of what the curriculum could be.

4. christine89

christine89 Companion

Jun 8, 2011

I have just accepted a similar position as a Preschool/Kindergarten teacher and I am a new teacher so I have the same concerns as to how it's going to work. Mainly what concerns me is the strong difference between prek and k. Yes, some of the concepts are the same, but they differ in how the students work with them. For example, if it's a total class of 12 students, could it be done with just me as the teacher? Or would I need someone in there helping out?
    I would kinda like to hear about an example of this particular combination and how it works, how well it works, stuff like that.