Prek assessment

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by teachder, Mar 13, 2008.

1. teachder

teachder Companion

Mar 13, 2008

What assessment do you use....sorry that is my question but i also really want to know how you do daily classroom management. You know, behavior management. I've got kids that giggle none stop...during teaching time, snack time, lunch, at every little thing. It's total lack of respect. But talking to them in private or taking away a few mins of free play hasn't helped. I have other students too who are learning the basic hands to self, personal space when talking, talking when appropriate about on topic issues.... We are not allowed to have them pull a card. I try rewards, but there are so many good students that i'd go broke or if they get extra play time, what do i do with those who don't....how do i keep track and/or have them keep track of their daily behavior? I have a daily behavior sheet that they fill out and it's all done on the computer so that we save paper, but i never send it home and I know i'll get some parents who think it's not fair or is to harsh. At least i have the back-up response that i have to make something and have the kids do something because i'm in grad school and it's part of our assignment. Of course i don't get any guidence from there because no one teaches prek and they assume i can just take what the upper grades are doing and lower it....trying....but not sure it's working. I can't ignore certain behavior, i've tried. Tried coming into the day saying to myself i'm only going to acknowledge good behavior...then someones climbing on a table or hitting someone on the buttom or talking continuously during lesson. I can't ignore it, others will see it and do it too thinking they can get away with it.

YIKES

3. dolphinswim

dolphinswim Companion

Mar 13, 2008

I use a slip system...if they misbehave they get a yellow slip then they do not get to choose out of the prize box on Friday...or they loose recess for a certain time. I will move students who do not remain quite or listening. The carpet is a special place and they hate to be asked to leave it. I make a big deal out of it too. I also will move students away from each other if they tend to be talkative. For the most part there will be lost of visiting at this age and lots of "I am being good, look at me" I try to notice everyone at some point and I will point out the not acceptable behaviors.

As for assessment I have them tell me the letters we are learning, numbers, colors, shapes. I also look a lot at social skills, emotional skills, motor skills and so on. Nothing super major because it is not required at this age. Most of my students are able to write 80% of their letters and numbers by the end of the year. They also know how to write their name with upper and lowercase letters and are even recognizing some easy sight words. They also know quite a few sounds. If there is something more specific you would like to know just ask. Hope I said something that is beneficial to you!

4. teachder

teachder Companion

Mar 13, 2008

Could you please explain your prize box and how you make sure everyone gets something. i tried to do star of the day at the end of the day the kid with star behavior got a star. parents and boss wanted to make sure everyone got one....I of course see that as not getting the point....you get one if you behave, you change your behavior to get one. how do you get prizes for your box and not go broke. One yellow slip on monday means they are doomed for the rest of the week? as far as not getting a prize...sorry i am just thinking like my boss and the kids' parents.

5. Mrs_Barrett

Mrs_Barrett Cohort

Mar 14, 2008

I use the behavior system of green, yellow and red lights. Everyone starts on green. You are given a verbal warning first and then moved to yellow light. If you have more behavior or it continues you move to red, which is timeout. I typically don't have that many in timeout anymore. Mostly for hitting (which gets an automatic timeout). I use a lot of visual cue cards which I wear in a necklace around my neck, so do my aides. I have the rules posted with pictures.

As for assessments, I use High Scope COR and informal upper/lower case letters, numbers 1-20, colors, shapes, and counting.

6. teachder

teachder Companion

Mar 14, 2008

What are the visual aids and how do they not get in the way when you bend over to help the kids...

7. Mrs_Barrett

Mrs_Barrett Cohort

Mar 14, 2008

I have visual cues for walking, sitting criss-cross on floor, washing hands, pictures of a certain child eating (having issues with cleaning and sitting while at lunch), clean up, and etc. They are all about the size of a note card, laminated and put on a ring.

No they don't get in the way. If a child needs help, I tend to sit next to them at their tables, so I've never had an issue with it.

8. vannapk

vannapk Groupie

Mar 15, 2008

For assessment, our district has several tests we are required to give the students. However, I do have some assessment resources on my website you can download, scroll down to the assessment section.

As for behavior, here is a link to my classroom management page. I also believe strongly in using visual picture cues.

9. lauriloulou

lauriloulou Rookie

Mar 15, 2008

For assessment, I do the same as Mrs. Barrett (COR, etc.). Other than the High Scope, the rest is informal and more for me to share with parents at conferences, etc.

As far as management, I began the first day of school with a lot of modeling. I modeled how to play with blocks, how to look at books, cut with scissors, clean up toys, etc. I like to use praise, but not punishment. Sure, I have to "discipline" for hitting, but I role play and ask a lot of questions. I try to get in their world and down to their level by sitting on the ground or kneeling. I just don't like to take away play time b/c that is how they learn and I don't like to take away outdoor time b/c to me it is counterproductive (most of these kids NEED to let loose and get out energy). I read Vanna's website mentioned above and my philosophy is so similar to hers it just worked. It's not too early to start. Just model everyday and get into their world. Someone that was also mentioned to me is Becky Bailey.

Oh, and I also use a lot of picture cues too. Talk to some of your speech paths or OTs, etc. to see if they have a program. One that my school uses is Boardmaker.

10. teachder

teachder Companion

Mar 15, 2008

We don't have these at our school....speech paths or OTs, etc. But thanks for your suggustions, i'll look into those.

11. Mrs_Barrett

Mrs_Barrett Cohort

Mar 18, 2008

Boardmaker is excellent!

12. skerns

skerns Companion

Mar 25, 2008

pre k assessment

Here is our discipline system at our school for pre k and kinder. It works great, but the key is being super consistent. I never tell children a second time without taking a blessing buck. They get their bucks back each day, so each day is a fresh start. I have been teaching preschool for 9 years. this is from my orientation brochure.

MORNING DISCIPLINE

The students receive 3 “blessing bucks” at the beginning of each day. They must “pay” one buck for not obeying or breaking a rule. Each buck they lose is 4 minutes of time out. If a pattern is set that needs other intervention, I will contact you for a conference.

If a child loses NO bucks that day, they will receive a sticker on the chart on their desk at the end of each morning. When they fill a row on their card, they will get to go to the little “treasure box”. When they fill their card they go to the large “treasure box”

I use goldfish, marshmallows, etc. for quick incentives during class time. The children may also be caught being kind and receive a kindness coin.

Please be aware that your children, all of them, will probably lose many bucks during the first few weeks of school. This does not mean your child is “bad”. It simply means they are learning the rules. It may take many bucks at first, in hopes to enforce the rules. They will quickly learn when and how to obey. We try to be consistent; children truly love boundaries and are happier when they know them.

OUR ClASSROOM RULES
    1. Stay in your seat.
    2. Raise your hand to talk.
    3. Always obey the first time.
    4. No talking when teacher talks.
    5. No talking when the lights are off.

13. teachder

teachder Companion

Mar 25, 2008

The students receive 3 “blessing bucks” at the beginning of each day. They must “pay” one buck for not obeying or breaking a rule. Each buck they lose is 4 minutes of time out. If a pattern is set that needs other intervention, I will contact you for a conference.

If a child loses NO bucks that day, they will receive a sticker on the chart on their desk at the end of each morning. When they fill a row on their card, they will get to go to the little “treasure box”. When they fill their card they go to the large “treasure box”

I use goldfish, marshmallows, etc. for quick incentives during class time. The children may also be caught being kind and receive a kindness coin.

Please be aware that your children, all of them, will probably lose many bucks during the first few weeks of school. This does not mean your child is “bad”. It simply means they are learning the rules. It may take many bucks at first, in hopes to enforce the rules. They will quickly learn when and how to obey. We try to be consistent; children truly love boundaries and are happier when they know them.

OUR ClASSROOM RULES
    1. Stay in your seat.
    2. Raise your hand to talk.
    3. Always obey the first time.
    4. No talking when teacher talks.
    5. No talking when the lights are off.
    [/COLOR][/FONT][/QUOTE]

Where do the kids keep their bucks and where do you put them when they need to hand one over? We are state licensed so we can't have anything sticking to the desks- not clean-. So i guess we could put it in there cubbie or on the backs of there chairs.? Where do you keep the kindness coins and do you ever get kids saying "looking i did something kind give me a coin" or "He did something unkind, take his buck". My problem is parents will say i'm focused to much on discipline and not on teaching, that their kid comes home and "reports" who has been bad. Do you have an assistent in your room- does s/he also hand out or take away coins/bucks? You mentioned at the end of the morning they get a sticker, we have AM only kids and all day kids should I do everyone at the first dismissal time or just the AM kids? I had a program on our computer but remembering to save enought time at the end of both AM and PM sessions was getting to be a bit much- 5 kids in the morning waiting to tell me which face they get (happy sad or thinking) in three different areas (social, working, listening) and then again with 9 kids in the PM is time consuming. And most kids did age appropriate, I just have a few that really need a firm behavior plan but i've had parents in the past and this is a group that might be the same way, where they say doing it just to a few singles them out and makes them look bad. Plus with all the "good" on target kids, i'll go broke giving them a treasure at the end of every week or month. I'm assuming the row is a week and a card is a month. Also, i tried this year a star student of the day but the parents and boss wanted to make sure every kid would get the star....well, what if there's one kid who doesn't improve or if there is a student that is good all the time, they wonder why they don't get the star. So i see the problem there. Plus i'd be cutting down a lot of trees giving paper stars to every good kid every day. Aghhhh
    Sorry i got off target here. I just know i really need something that I can stick with and doesn't take a lot of time for me or confusion for the students, or has too many steps.

Thanks,
    Melissa (teacher on spring break but in the classroom working):p

14. skerns

skerns Companion

Mar 26, 2008

discipline

THe blessing bucks are on their desks with Velcro, but you could put them in their pencil boxes or Velcro to the back of their chairs. The children have to take the buck off and put it in a box on my desk. My aid records their bucks in an index card binder that is divided by children names. We have a key to help it go quick. Eg: T= talking H= hitting, NO= not obeying the first time, etc.

The kindness coins are on my desk in a cup. I do not give them one if they brag or point out their behavior. I try to catch each child a couple times a year.

My response to parents who say that you are focused to much on discipiline is this. That is what children at this age are learning. Boundaries. We are training them. How else can you train someone except to give them specific guidelines with consistent consequences. Kids really want guidelines and usually misbehavior is a test to learn their guidelines. Once they learn them and see consistency, their behavior always improves.

I give every kid a sticker that does not lose a buck at the end of each morning before lunch. We have a different system for the pm due to us not being in our classroom. We have to move around from recess, naproom, lunchroom, and Spanish. They were a name tag that we can punch holes in.

Anyway I have one little ADHD boy who wears his tag all day and we use one system for him. The punches mean more to him and we had major behavior problems with him. He has greatly improved since we have modified his systems.

As for the prizes, I put up sticky notes at orientation for parents to take off my chalkboard. I list items we will need for the year on them. I get so much donated that it fills a box and I rarely have to buy any. Items such as one dollar toys, multipacks of party toys that are small, packs of gum, army men, toy rings, balloons, etc for the small box.

they are not necessarily going to the prize box every week. Just every five days that they do not lose bucks. It may take some children a month to achieve that, but they all do have the opportunity to go, so technically no one is left out. Of course you have some that go more often because they never lose bucks, but usually everyone loses one sometime or the other. They children are amazing because they encourage each other now and cheer for each other when they get to go to the prize box. At the beginning of the year I would clap and carry on for each child. Now they do it automatically.

We have a leader of the day each day. This gives every child an opportunity to be special and rewarded in positive ways. I have used this system for almost 7 years and it has worked beautifully. Of course you have days that are more stressful but overall., this works. Those parents who criticize are usually the ones with the troublemaking children that need our discipline plan. LOL

Sorry it so long but I hope I answered everything.

PS I have an aid with 14 kids this year. They are taking her away for next year and giving her her own class, K-3.

15. teachder

teachder Companion

Mar 26, 2008

Classroom Behavior Management issue Solved

Okay so I could be getting ahead of myself, but I think I have this issue figured out. Based on some of the info I've read on this site from teacher accounts and practices, here's what i am getting set up to start once the students return from spring break. The image of the self assessment card will be on here later today....it looks great!

On the laminated self assessment card, the student writes his/her name. At the tables, each student has individual clear cups with 6 personally assigned colored puff balls. The object is to have 6 balls in the cup at the end of the day. The balls are removed if the student demonstrates behavior not keeping with the class rules. The class rules are listed on the bottom of the assessment card with words and pictures. Our class has 3 rules- *be respectful * be helpful *be safe. Also listed on the card are picture and word ques of nice behaviors the student should have. During the day, if a student does not follow a class rule then the teacher, assistant or student will take one ball out of the cup accompanied by the teacher or assistant saying “I’m sad to say that a ball will have to come out of your cup for making that choice,_(running in the hall)___ is not _being respectful or safe___. Next time try _walking quietly__. Or if the student is capable of telling you what a better choice would be ask “what should you do next time?” The ball removed is place in the centrally located big container. If a student has lost a ball and then showcases a good behavior then a ball will be return along with praise such as I’m glad to see you were respectful and safe, I am happy to have you get a ball. If a student has no balls in their cup and has another misbehavior, then a black ball is given and that accounts for 2 minutes of lost recess/gym time. But if a black ball is in the cup and the child showcases a good behavior, then the black ball is taken out. At the end of the day, the students take a few minutes to count the balls in their cups. The can either draw the amount or write the number in the space on the assessment card chart associated with that day. On Friday just before recess, the class will count all their numbers on the chart for that week. A helpful way to assist students in counting and adding is to use unifix cubes and have one-one correlation of drawings or numbers on the card. Once the students have their big number that can see if it matches the GOAL. The goal should start out low to ensure achievement by all levels of students. However, after sometime has passed and behavior improvement is noted, the GOAL should be raised. On Friday, those who’ve reached the GOAL get an EXTRA. An extra should not be a toy OR candy. Our extras include extra recess, gym time, 7th grade buddy time, more free play, more snack (which are healthy), parent-story time, one on one with teacher play time, parent lunch time, a special craft, pencil, an award given at the all school assembly, and free play with any buddy (our class has assigned buddies for free play). I love the gift of personal time, not a lot of kids get that these days, it’s been replaced by tv and computers-solitary activity. It’s okay to have no balls in the cup at gym/recess time or at the end of the day. Only negative consequence comes if there is a black ball. And the positive reinforcement comes as praise when a ball is added or when the child (who always has 6) is also doing a great job. The incentive is that on Friday you get to have something of your choice as EXTRA, which is special to you. The card is laminated so that it can be wiped clean on Friday and reused on Monday without wasting paper. If a teacher would like to keep one on file to showcase a student’s growth or lack of growth, it can be either copied or better yet, scanned into the computer files- again being paperless. An additional use of the card is that the teacher and student can talk together about the actions(located at the bottom of the card) that are being repeated either good or bad, and those can be checked or circled so that it is visible as to what is being done. A checkmark would indicate that action is being done nicely while a X indicates it is being done inappropriately. Such as hands- and x means their hands are not being respectful, helpful or safe. But a check mark says they are.
    Fast, easy, educational, and informative. Yeah, hope it works.

16. teachder

teachder Companion

Mar 26, 2008

The assessment card can't be posted, let me know if you want me to send it via email.