PreK, 6th, 5th, 3rd, maybe K?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Bella2010, Dec 20, 2014.

1. Bella2010

Bella2010 Habitué

Dec 20, 2014

So, that's been the progression of my career, lol. As I posted in the gen ed section a week or so ago, I'm thinking of asking to go to a lower grade because the pressure of the 3rd test is about to give me a head full or grey hair. :|

There may be a K position opening. I'm not counting on it, and even if there is I'm not getting my hopes up for it to happen, but I'm thinking about if it did.

I know when I taught PreK the kids at the end of the year were way different than they were at the beginning - much more independent, mature, etc. I'm thinking K would be okay. I know that just because K doesn't test, there is a whole new set of stressors. So, I know it's not going to be a cake walk.

Anyway, has anyone gone from upper to lower, specifically K?

Thanks!

3. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Dec 20, 2014

I've always heard to NEVER go down. It's so much harder. But if that's your thing, go for it! I went PreK, 2nd, 3rd, 6th, 7th. :lol: I need the independence. I just cannot with the neediness.

4. dr.gator

dr.gator Comrade

Dec 20, 2014

I escaped K after 18 years to teach third grade. This is my second year and I love it. The change was a much needed one. Won't say why I left because it is much like why you are wanting to leave. Will say that every grade level has its positives and negatives. With a change you have to be willing to accept both.

5. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Dec 20, 2014

I went from 6th to 1st. It was a HUGE jump down, but I love it! I actually went up to 2nd this year and miss the little firsties. Every grade has its challenges and any change will shake things up. If that's where your heart is then give it a try. You never know where you'll find your niche unless you take some risks.

6. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Dec 20, 2014

I wholeheartedly agree!

Side note: I, too, have taught 1st, 2nd, and 6th! :D

7. Froreal3

Froreal3 Companion

Dec 21, 2014

I would go for it. The Ks are more independent than Pre-K. The only thing is that since many states don't mandate pre-k, many Ks come in knowing literally nothing. It will be like starting from scratch for a lot of things, but imo that's ok.

8. Jerseygirlteach

Jerseygirlteach Groupie

Dec 21, 2014

I went from 7th/8th to 3rd/4th. Soooooo much better!!! I would never want to go lower, though. But that's just me.

9. melnm

melnm Companion

Dec 21, 2014

I have that question in reverse. I want to move to a higher grade level. I taught PreK for the past three years and am now back in K. It does still take some time at the beginning of the year for them to get the routines down. And yes, as another poster said, they come from all different places, so they are at all different levels coming in. Overall though, for me, it is much better than PreK.

I'm feeling a need for change for a variety of reasons. I don't know if there are going to be any openings in my school yet, but I am going to be trying to move up if so! Good luck to you!

10. Bella2010

Bella2010 Habitué

Dec 21, 2014

Good luck to you as well. :) The biggest change for me moving from PreK to 6th was all the papers floating around. Grading, putting them in the computer, who turned in what and when, absent work, benchmarks, etc. It will be nice to get away from that. I know there's paperwork in K also, and there is a whole new set of work to replace the paperwork that the upper grades entail, I just think the change would be nice.

I'm going to talk to my P around Spring Break. I think that's when most people give notices and what not. That's when I was hired, anyway. Also, I don't want her to think I've thrown in the towel on 3rd grade.

She taught 3rd for something like 15 years and was awesome at it. She only had a handful of kids score unsatisfactory on their state tests over the years, which adds a whole new element of pressure. :unsure:

Thanks for all the input and advice, everyone!

Beth

11. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Enthusiast

Dec 22, 2014

I taught K one year and then moved to first for 4. I am now in K again. Last year i hated hated hated it. This year i just hate it. So maybe next year i will start to like it. Lol.

12. Bella2010

Bella2010 Habitué

Dec 22, 2014

What are some things you don't like? Just curious...maybe there are some details I'm not taking into consideration, lol.

Thanks!

Beth

13. MrsJay

MrsJay Rookie

Dec 22, 2014

I went from 6th to K and am so happy. I realized quickly that the upper grades weren't for me. I was miserable. I am so happy in K. I wish to stay in K for a very long time. It has it's own kind of stress, the kids are needy and come from different levels ... however, it is the perfect place for me. I am very motherly, upbeat and have small children of my own. This is where I belong.

For me 6th was a lot more challenging than K, but I'm sure there are people that would say the opposite. I really think it comes down to your personality!

14. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Dec 27, 2014

It's definitely hard to go down. I went from 4th to 3rd and it was a rough transition. Esp. because the class that left me was "high" and definitely ready for 5th grade and I got a class of 3rd graders that were on average on 1st grade level. It was a tough adjustment. But I ended up loving 3rd grade. I looped to 4th this year but I'm hoping to go down to 3rd next year.

15. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Enthusiast

Dec 27, 2014

I think mainly it was the class i had last year. Actually one particular student. This kid just turn 5 the day of meet the teacher. He cried everyday for the entire year. His parents were no help he would stay for weeks on end with a famiy member who is purely evil so no help there either. Towards the end of the year he was involved in accident which somehow the relatives deemed my son's fault. ( son was not even there or had anything to do with ) i had two other students who parents ages were barely above the drinking age which meant they were way to young to be having kids. I had another parent who threw me under the bus to another parent. ( i was later vindicated by the principal and it made the other parent look pretty bad ). i had a coworker who at every turn tried to make me feel less than scum on scum. It was a tough year professionally. I survived and came out on top. This year is not quite as tough. In fact its been pretty good. Supportive parents for the most part. No kids crying everyday. I do have three very low kids, one of which will be tested to spec ed soon. The other two have come a little ways in the grand scheme ofmthings but have made giant steps in my class.

16. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Dec 30, 2014

I completely agree with this!

I made the opposite switch - from 1st to 5th. I have never been happier. And I never would have tried 5th by choice - it was the grade I always said I would never teach! So really, you never know where your niche will be!