PreK-3

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by Starista, Aug 12, 2014.

1. Starista

Starista Cohort

Aug 12, 2014

Hi there You Wonderful PreK teachers! I am a fourth grade teacher who also happens to be a mother of a boy entering PreK-3 at a wonderful Catholic school. I am wondering if you could kindly (when time permits) share if there are any skills (academic/social/otherwise) that he will have to master by the end of the year. He is a very social child, but not very interested in coloring or attempting to learn to write his letters. He loves to play, cut, glue and sing.

Thank you so much for all you do for our littlest ones. :hugs:

3. mandamouse123

mandamouse123 Rookie

Aug 12, 2014

For a threes class, I would expect by the end of the year:

Independently using the bathroom: pulling down/up clothes, wiping, washing hands

Sit + listen to short stories

Follow 1-2 step directions

recognize written name

recognize several letters from name

use spoon and fork mostly when appropriate

count to 10 verbally

hold book correctly, turn pages 1 by 1

Pennsylvania has good standards if you're interested in checking them out here. Look for the older toddler parts.

As for writing his name/letters, I wouldn't stress it. It'll come when he's ready. In the mean time, playing with toys that have letters on them (like blocks or stamps) will begin to familiarize your son with the shapes of the letters, which is a good first step.

4. mandamouse123

mandamouse123 Rookie

Aug 12, 2014

Also, I completely forgot about shapes/colors. Threes should be well on their way to knowing all/most shapes and colors.

5. Starista

Starista Cohort

Aug 13, 2014

I cannot thank you enough for this input. Thank you so much for this. If you ever need anything from a fourth grade teacher, please ask me! I'm very nervous about nap time. He still has accidents during nap when in underwear and sleeps at nighttime in a diaper. Should I share that concern with his teacher? Thanks!

Katey

6. mandamouse123

mandamouse123 Rookie

Aug 13, 2014

No problem!

I would let her know, yes. That way his teacher can try to put his cot on tile or something water proof. You can also ask her if she has any suggestions. I've had teachers who preferred pullups for nap time, and others who preferred waking the child up halfway through nap time.

7. Starista

Starista Cohort

Aug 15, 2014

Thanks again. We had orientation today and I mentioned it. She was so kind. I am excited! God bless you for what you do!

8. mandamouse123

mandamouse123 Rookie

Aug 15, 2014

No problem! I hope your son has a blast!

9. Starista

Starista Cohort

Aug 18, 2014

Today was day #1. He screamed and cried for about 15 minutes but then his teacher said he was fine! :)

Only issue (after tears) was that he refused to use the bathroom. No accidents but did not want to "sit on the school potty." As soon as my husband picked him up they went into the church (it's a Catholic school) and he went to the bathroom. We talked about it at prayers tonight but I am so exhausted after my fourth graders all day! Let me know if you have any tips.

Xox

10. mandamouse123

mandamouse123 Rookie

Aug 18, 2014

Awesome! I was wondering how you and your son did!

Make sure to repeat whatever you did today when you dropped him off. If he starts to fuss with you there, remember try not to linger, just the hug and kiss you already gave him and "Daddy/I'll pick you up at 3, after rest (or something on the schedule your son will recognise). The feeling and body language you're aiming for here is "I love you. I believe in you. You are capable to handle your emotions."

For the bathroom, now that you've discussed it, do you think your son is scared of the bathroom, or is he just trying to assert some control? It could be there's a blinking almost-out lightbulb, or a scary poster.

If he's just trying to gain some control of a new situation, I would try to be hands off. Either he's going to decide to use the school bathroom, or he's going to have an accident. Pushing the issue with your son will make everyone tense and will make your son want to gain control even more. Keep in mind that going to the bathroom is a private act and your son doesn't know the room or people very well yet. Chances are once he's comfortable with the classroom, kids and teachers, he'll go on his own. It shouldn't be long!

11. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Aug 20, 2014

I loved reading these posts! I am a Head Start teacher and the kiddos have taught me a lot about potty issues. Thank you to mandamouse for your thoughtful and appropriate responses!

What I've found is that kiddos will be influenced by the children around them. Your son will soon notice that his friends use the potty at school and it is fine. In the meantime, it sounds like his teacher is aware and will help him through this. He also won't like missing out on fun activities when he has to take time out to change into dry clothes. Good luck to you! (Now I'm excited to get into the classroom in a week!)