PreInterview at District office vs at actual school

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by munchkin, Jul 3, 2008.

1. munchkin

munchkin Cohort

Jul 3, 2008

Has anyone out there had experience with doing an preinterview with a district vs a interview with a school? Just what is the difference?
    what kind of questions would they ask that a school wouldn't?

How would you respond? What kinds of things would you bring to the interview besides a resume?:confused:

I've got a preinterview coming up on Monday, at7:30 a.m.!:eek:
    The HR person told me to bring a resume, period. She mentioned that some bring portfolios.... :eek:hmy:
    what kind of things would you bring in this portfolio if all you've been doing for the past 5 years was subbing? and your degree is 20+ years old??:blush:
    Help!
    Munchkin

3. anewstart101

anewstart101 Cohort

Jul 3, 2008

I'm in California and I have done most of my interviews at a district 5 versus 3 at a school.

Still waiting. . .

4. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Jul 3, 2008

I once did a pre-screening interview with a panel of administrators and teachers at the district level. From there, I was put into a pool of candidates that principals could look at for job openings. I nailed the pre-screening interview, but alas, that district had no openings in elementary that summer!

5. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Jul 3, 2008

I've been to a few district interviews and to me the questions seem more general, like "what does literacy instruction look like in your classroom?" than the school interviews. I would just look at the common interview questions and come up with responses for them. Also, as leighball mentioned the district interview usually just puts you in a pool that says you can be hired and the schools can pick candidates from that pool.

It doesn't seem like a portfolio is necessary, but if you have the time to make one it couldn't hurt. You could make up a couple of lessons, a parent letter/newsletter and a classroom management and include any letters of reference you have, teaching certificate, transcripts and so on. But if you don't have the time I wouldn't worry about the portfolio, as usually you only use it as a reference when answering questions. Good luck!

6. frogger

frogger Devotee

Jul 3, 2008

I also had a pre-screening with a district. They just ask some basic interview questions. It was with one person only and then they "okay" you to go on interviews with the schools here. I'm still waiting though for an actual job offer! :)

7. each1teach1

each1teach1 Cohort

Jul 3, 2008

That was what happened with me. I pre-interviewed with the district and they approved me for the eligibility pool (at our district, if they like you enough, they give you an open contract meaning they have no idea what school you'll be at, but the district is guaranteeing you a job). After I was in the eligibility pool, the individual schools begin to call me as they had openings and then I interviewed with the school. Don't get discouraged if it takes a while though. It was two months between the time that the district hired me and the time my school signed me.

8. munchkin

munchkin Cohort

Jul 6, 2008

I already know there is a position for a third grade teacher opened , at a school that has really good ratings according to schooldigger.com (which rates them according to demographics and test scores) . I also know from my phone conversation with HR that they want to make a decision on this position ASAP. School for our area starts in about 5-6 weeks depending what district you are in. Training /orientation for new teachers starts as early as next week in some districts. Lots of summer academies going on for ceu's for teacher recertification going on too. Paperwork usually takes anywhere from 2-4 weeks to process( been through this before...) So I can definitely understand their anxiousness to finding the right candidate.
    I , too have been on multiple pre-interviews with districts. As a matter of fact, this is one that didn't have time for a preinterview with me at the state job fair... their personnel needed to leave early, so I was told to look at the website and call if an opening happened. It did, so I did, and now I have an early morning interview tomorrow. :woot: I will review the Adam Waxler book on interviewing and the questions that are listed here, and pray I don't screw this one up by being too nervous. ::eek::
    Could find no information on their language arts curriculum, but found some generic LRP for third grade for science, math and social studies. I really don't know if any detailed questions will be asked, but if they are, maybe I can give them something to think about. Each principal has some autonomy in their hiring here... just not with the preinterview. Guess they want to make sure that I am no axe murderer or anything....:whistle:
    Wish me luck

9. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Jul 6, 2008

In our district, the ONLY way to get a job in elementary is by doing an interview with HR. Principals cannot interview you if you haven't been sent to them by HR. Just be yourself, and it will be fine.

10. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jul 6, 2008

Like anewstart, I was also interviewed by district in CA. They gave me the name of three schools that had openings, but I ended up getting placed at another school. I never saw or heard from the principal, I was just told that I was hired.

All things considered, I didn't think I should ask what was second choice, or tried to find something closer, because, well... I wanted the job.

In some areas, the district does all the work, and then they send you to school to interview with principal, and if if they like you, you are good. I like it better that way. If supt likes you, and principal stinks, you can try to find something else. If you like principal but supt stinks, they will not help you as much if principal gets mad or leaves. You want the top brass to be happy, least that's how I feel.

A principal may leave faster than a supt. Schools can close, merge, and staff downsized. But a supt who hires you feels confident in your abilities, and will look out for you when changes happen, and try to keep you. Some principals are only concerned about themselves. If you find a good one, stay close. When they move up, they will remember you, and keep you in mind.

However, here in Chicago... principals run the show. So, I guess it depends on district for how the game is played.

11. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jul 6, 2008

I didn't get call until August.

12. MJH

MJH Companion

Jul 6, 2008

I have interviewed at the district level and was offered a contract before I left. The contract was and open one which meant that I would have a position in the district but no school would be listed. I was then given information about the Employment Fair where I could interview with principles at various schools or I could let the HR department place me at any school.

The Employment Fair was unbelievable. Principles were setting at tables with sign up sheets. You went around and signed up for an interview with them. If you were not among the first five you could forget about interviewing because many decided amongst the first ones so they could leave early. It was mind blowing because you were sent out in this large room to find a position.

13. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Jul 7, 2008

How'd it go Munchkin???????? :)

14. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jul 7, 2008

Yeah, Chicago does that. My friend said just drop off resumes. That's what I did.

15. munchkin

munchkin Cohort

Jul 8, 2008

In my county of residence, there are multiple districts, but most- if not all do require the preinterview, or atleast the"state recruitment" application be filled out. Which in my case, I have done them all.
    Ialways figured, they're gonna have to get to know me anyway, why not go on the offensive and give them a positive view of me, the way I am now, and not what I was like 20+ years ago when I graduated.:whistle:

This year is different. This will be the first time in my life that I have somewhat a free rein in WHERE I apply. Its my turn to make the family move this time. So I am naturally really really nervous.:eek:hmy:

Any way the interview at the district office went very well. I was immediately sent to the school for the interview, and that went well. Afterwards the instructional coach gave me a brief tour of the area that I might be teaching. I was thrilled!
    A decision will be made sometime before Monday the 14th. I am one of 3. It would be an unbelievable dream come true if it were to work out.... Now comes the hard part.... waiting. :woot:

16. munchkin

munchkin Cohort

Jul 8, 2008

Believe it or not leighbball, it was a really mind blowing day!
    The first interview was with the district HR super, and she sent me directly to the school. This one was supposed to be only 1/2 hour... lasted 1 hour. The school one the same. Both interviews, I felt went very well. I really loved the feeling of "family" there. I could see that they really cared alot about each other. That is something I would love to have as a first year teacher. More than tons of fancy technology and equipment, tops on my list is the ability to work closely with a team!! :hugs:I will know something by early next week.

The mind blowing part was on the way up there, I check my VM on my cell, and I had gotten a message asking me to drive 250 miles to the other side of the state for a fifth grade position, that I thought I had bombed the interview in May.:rolleyes: ThAT interview lasted 2 and 1/2 hours!! As he was driving off to meet with another candidate for a different position, He gave me the directions to the new school building, so my husband and I drove over and took a look. What an absolutely gorgeous school building! This school is very very very rural ( nothing but pinetrees dripping with spanish moss and swampy area and 2 lane roads in pure undeveloped low country wilderness.

17. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Jul 8, 2008

Congratulations on all of the good interviews! What an exciting day for you! Good luck and I hope you receive the perfect position for you!

18. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Jul 8, 2008

It all sounds great munchkin!! I can't wait to hear good news! :)