Prehistoric times

Discussion in 'General Education' started by mkate, Jan 20, 2012.

1. mkate

mkate Comrade

Jan 20, 2012

Here in Spain the term "Prehistoric times" (La Prehistoria) is considered to cover the time frame beginning with the appearance of homo sapiens sapiens, up through the Ancient Times (conventionally considered to begin with the development of the first civilizations with a form of written language.) Prehistoric time is part of the curriculum here starting from pre-primary, and I was looking for resources in English, but a lot of what I found is about the time of the dinosaurs (which is not covered in our curriculum.) So I'm curious-- what do you teach, if anything, about Prehistoric Times (however you define that term)?

And, any good resources for Pre K-through 1st grade on the topic?

3. wcormode

wcormode Rookie

Jan 20, 2012

Instead of looking for things pertaining to the broad term "Prehistoric" maybe try searching for Mesolithic through the Neolithic periods.

4. a2z

a2z Virtuoso

Jan 20, 2012

I also do not think that any public school in the US teaches that time period in pre-k through 1st. Many kids still fail to understand yesterday and tomorrow let alone that there was a period in time where man lived but did not write so we really only have theories as to what man really did at that time.

Pre-K through 1st primarliy work on "social studies" which includes your school, community, family, place in the world, but not history or historical figures as they did 30 year or so ago.

5. mkate

mkate Comrade

Jan 20, 2012

I was a little surprised about that too, a2z. They do repeat the theme throughout the obligatory education stage (in Primary they do a brief survey of history-- Prehistoric Times, Ancient Times, Modern Age, and the Contemporary Age-- starting in 3rd or 4th grade, and then in secondary school they do it again in more depth.) At the pre-primary level, of course it is pretty basic, though many relics from the Neolithic/Mesolithic have been found here, so in that sense it is (slightly) more relevant...
    But yes, most of the curriculum is geared toward the areas you mention in pre-primary through 2nd-- for history they just talk some about prehistoric times and then also about great inventions. I wouldn't have chosen it as a theme for pre-primary, but the kids do seem to respond quite well.

wcormode, thanks. I did find some things. I guess it mostly just aroused my curiosity-- I don't remember having studied about anything prior to Ancient Civilizations at school (in the US), but of course things change.

6. kimberlyalice

kimberlyalice Rookie

Jan 21, 2012

Try the term "Early Man" or "Stone Age" in your searches. Mr. Donn's has a page of Early Man on his website (geared towards elementary aged students) that could get you going in the right direction.