pregnant while teaching

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Pencil Monkey, Jul 28, 2009.

1. Pencil Monkey

Pencil Monkey Devotee

Jul 28, 2009

hi everyone. I'm 30 weeks pregnant and will be teaching until I go on maternity leave at the end of September. my energy levels in the third trimester have really been pretty low. I am planning to take it easy when ever possible while at work but that is going to be difficult with my incoming group of energetic second graders. do you have any advice for keeping up my energy during the school day?

Has anyone ever done maternity leave in the middle of a school year? How did you prepare for your sub?

Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks.

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 28, 2009

Congratulations!!!!

One of my friends and I have daughters born a day apart. Each of us was in work the day before our daughter was born; school started the next day to the news that there was a new "addition to the math department." All I can suggest is cutting yourself whatever slack you can. Be sure you can take frequent bathroom breaks, stay hydrated, and try to take it easy.

I also missed a month of school last year, starting on the 6th day of school, due to a mastectomy.

I prepped an outline of the work I would cover if I were there, had last year's planbook ready, and left a lot to the sub. He observed me for those first 6 days, and then just took over.

4. mom2ohc

mom2ohc Habitué

Jul 28, 2009

congrats! I had three school year pregnancies. One daughter born in May, one in January and the last one a few days after school ended. The last one I was really tired! The thing that made it easier was that it was the end of the year though, and the kids were soooo well trained to our routines. I can not imagine being pregnant like you are for the beginning of the year. Good luck! Is your replacement going to come in with you? What are you going to do if you go early?

5. Teaching Grace

Teaching Grace Connoisseur

Jul 28, 2009

My sub gets 2 weeks of detailed plans and then plans the rest of the time with the team or my planning partner. I know when I was pregnant with my son I was due at the end of January. I spent alot of time sitting. I would have the kids come to me instead of me going to them. Those last 3 weeks I was super duper lazy!!!

6. wcvetwife

wcvetwife Rookie

Jul 28, 2009

I had my son in September of last year. I just did what I could. I had copies ran off for two weeks for my sub, but then I let her pull stuff as needed and what was appropriate for the children. I was able to make it through the first six weeks of school, which was important for me to establish MY routines with the children. I had a sub who was a certified teacher and that made it a little easier to leave my children. Just take a break when you need it. When you can sit, sit with your feet elevated and it will help with the swelling. During PE time, I would close my door, lock the door, and then turn the lights off so I could get a quick nap in. That really helped me make it through the rest of the day.

7. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Jul 28, 2009

I had a room upstairs when i was pregnant with my last son. We'd go up and down those stairs 15 times a day. So near the end my team would pick the kids up and take them to P.E. and return them to me. It helped me not get so worn out.

8. bobcatkristi

bobcatkristi Rookie

Jul 28, 2009

I had a baby during last school year. I was due the end of may but had her April 22nd. I knew I was at risk for early delivery so I was prepared. Our subs are not very well trained so I had every detail planned out for her for the entire 6 weeks. I just laid it out on a calendar and all the materials she would need copied and sat out on the counter for her. Since yours is due at the beginning of the year I would focus on really establishing routines, and due my best to lay out a plan or pacing guide for the sub. As for taking it easy I got really good at that because I didn't have a choice. Being high risk I had to take it as easy as possible. Anytime my kids need to go somewhere one of the other teachers took them and brought them back so i could limit my walking. I had a rolling chair so I was still mobile around the room but wasn't on my feet. I elevated my feet as often as possible and I snacked a lot through the day to try to keep my energy up. But it was health snacks rather than caffeine based that would just make you feel more tired in the end. Eat things like granola bars, pretzels, and fruit. Make sure you drink a lot of water and give yourself time for lots of bathroom breaks. Plus don't be afraid to sit and give yourself a break during a time when you would normally be up and about. Be honest with your kids about how you're feeling and they'll be more than happy to help.

9. jenejoy

jenejoy Companion

Jul 28, 2009

I was teaching kinder when I was pregnant both times. I did as others suggested and had the kids come to me. I had a comfy office chair on wheels and I arranged my groups so that I could easily roll myself along as needed for seat work. I also set up a desk with everything I would need at the front so I wasn't walking back and forth all the time. I highly suggest having a sub come in a few days early to see your routine ( afriend of mine even offered to pay 2 days of sub pay for the sub to come in since she wanted things set up a certain way because she would be coming back as well.) You will also want to write your routines out and various procedures out so they can refer back to them. I planned the first 2 weeks that I was out and left everything for the sub to plan the rest. Any questions were typically directed to my team members since we were supposed to be at the same place at the same time, but I did leave my number for them to call if any questions came up. Another of my suggestions, though it sounds pessimistic-sorry, is to not count on your students learning much during this time. If you are lucky they will and it will be just fine. But most of the time my experience has been that even with very capable teachers subbing, the changing sets them back. I'd also be thinking of how you can pick up the slack when you return. That way if it all goes well, you are happy and if it doesn't, you're at least prepared when your emotions will be volatile leaving your baby. Again, sorry that sounds so pessimistic, but I'd rather you be ready for worst case.

10. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Jul 28, 2009

Congrats and enjoy the pregnancy. After mine were done, I missed parts.

My sons' births were Dec. and Feb with the latter being twins.

While working, I had the kids come to me more and more each day. I taught the routine stuff sitting and only the new, more difficult material roaming. Other teachers helped walk kids to and from classes, picked up my mail, etc. I had parents come in to help with copying, hanging displays, etc.

Each year, I always write out a year plan for which units I planned to cover and when. I gave those to my sub along with past years' lesson plans for her to plan herself. She also knew has access to all my files and harddrive as well as copies of the curriculum. My district expected my sub to plan.

If possible, get a sub who is a retired teacher from your district. This happened this past year with another teacher and boy was that helpful to her and us as well. She knew who to call, where to go and when, school fire procedures, everything.

Good luck...and again, enjoy!

11. CFClassroom

CFClassroom Connoisseur

Jul 28, 2009

I'm in the same situation (30 weeks/3 days today), but am expecting twins so will deliver earlier than that. I'm REALLY hoping to make it if for the 1st week or 2 and get things going, but I'm pretty achey and exhausted right now. My suggestion would be to plan as if you are not going to be there. That way things will be over-planned and if you are fortunate enough to teach up to the end then your life will be much easier.

12. clld2tch

clld2tch Rookie

Jul 28, 2009

I went out after Christmas break last year to have my son. If it's possible, it really helps to see if you can find out who you're sub will be. Somehow, my principal worked it out so that my sub could come in for the last few days before break to see how I ran the classroom. *This was PERFECT considering I missed the last two days because of contractions:)* This way the kids were familiar with who was teaching them in January and the sub got a chance to see everything in action.

I only had to plan for the first week. The sub took it from there. (She was a regular sub for the district and had done long term several times before.) But when I planned, I did it down to the smallest detail, so she at least had a skeleton plan to work with.

As for the energy thing, I was blessed not to have too much of a drain. Either way, our classroom was a trailer so it was significantly smaller than a regular classroom. I just got my chair and sat in front of the kids when I needed a little break.

Good luck and congratulations!

13. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Jul 29, 2009

Congratulations!!!

Drink Gator Ade, eat nuts or some other high protein food, elevate your feet as often as you can.

Ask the teacher across the hall to help you out with getting the kids to and fro.

14. karebear76

karebear76 Habitué

Jul 29, 2009

Ditto pp suggestions.

I've always had the energy drain, so I just make sure I sit as much as I possibly can. My students one year even would ask me "Are you supposed to be standing right now?" It was cute. Kids know & usually respond when you aren't 100%.

I'm in the same situation: 27 weeks, so I'll be leaving end of October.

The last time I had a LTS I left at Christmas break, so I'd had my routines in place. I left a 4-5 page list of procedures & routines so she'd know what to do. I met with her once to explain everything, and then planned about 2 weeks & left her with a skeleton plan for the remainder. Reading was planned the whole time b/c I wanted to pick the pages to work on. I also made all of the copies for that. I basically left an outline of where I wanted them to be when I returned. I'm flexible, so it didn't matter if it was strictly followed. (I can't even strictly follow my plans...)

This time it's a lot sooner, and I will have to spend 2-3 weeks with baseline assessments, then write/facilitate IEP meetings before I leave. Not much time to set up routines for 17 rowdy kiddos. P has said she'll try to get the same LTS I had before, which will be helpful.

Best of luck to you, and congratulations!

15. natelukesmom

natelukesmom Companion

Jul 29, 2009

I taught all the way up till the day before my son was born. It was difficult toward the end, but I used my chair on wheels a lot! I was so used to walking around like crazy, but had to give that up toward the end. The kids got used to me "rolling" to their desks!! It was quite funny. You'll just have to adapt, but it won't be too bad as long as you're healthy.
    With my second son, I also worked up until a few days before he was born. It actually seemed easier the second time around because I had been-there-done-that.
    My first son was born toward the end of the school year (May) so I only had a sub for a few weeks. I gave her the general "run-down" of how my daily plans went, and let her kinda do things as she wanted. She had just finished her student teaching, so she was on top of things and I didn't have to worry too much.
    With my second son, he was born in September. I took the whole rest of the year off - so they hired a full time sub. I didn't really have to do much before I left, and she pretty much took over.
    Good Luck with everything!! And Congratulations!

16. Ms.T

Ms.T Comrade

Jul 29, 2009

I'm going to be going on mat leave in Nov. If there are any subs reading (or people who used to long-term sub), what sorts of things were really helpful to you when doing a long term assignment?

Right now I'm just trying to make detailed instructions as to my routines/daily expectations for the students. I figure I'll give the sub my teacher manuals and tell them where to start and stop (with the full understanding that they might not cover it all). I'll also leave directions for my procedures as far as which reading groups to call and how I do my guided reading. But I'm not planning on making detailed plans for every day. As long as my students are happy and following procedures and the sub is generally getting things done and my room doesn't get trashed, I'll be happy!

17. princessa48

princessa48 Companion

Jul 30, 2009

I had my youngest son in April of 06, and worked up until the day I went into labor. It was really exhausting, but I think that being so active throughout my pregnancy made my labor and delivery that much easier! I second the chair on wheels :)

Hopefully, I will be pregnant with a May or June baby of 2010...fingers crossed.