Pregnant Teacher

Discussion in 'General Education' started by PCdiva, Sep 10, 2011.

1. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

Sep 10, 2011

My nephew just made the jump from catholic school to public school...now entering 3rd grade. I picked him up from school yesterday and was asking him all about it.

He said his teacher was dumb (which I then had to discuss that you don't ever call an adult dumb, but that's a whole diff. issue) because she's having a baby in a month and when they come in they are supposed to say hello to her belly (now he's 8, so for all I know- one of the kids could have started it...but still I agree it's kind of weird) he said then the teacher says the baby says hi back. When I asked him, he said they don't say hi to her when they come in the room, they say hi baby.

Anyway, if this is completely true and not the perception of an 8 year old....anyone else think its kind of weird, or is it just me?

3. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Sep 10, 2011

I think it's weird if that have to say hi to her stomach. If some of the kids are just doing it, then that's cute, but if it's expected that is weird.

4. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Sep 10, 2011

That would be strange-- I'm sure he must have misheard though or maybe the teacher really is THAT excited to be having a baby.

5. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Sep 10, 2011

It is weird if she's asking them to do it, but my first thought is that it's something one of the kids started doing and the others followed suit.

6. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Sep 10, 2011

That's sort of what I am thinking too.

7. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Sep 10, 2011

I can picture one kid telling another, "We have to say hi to Mrs. Teacher's baby every morning." The other kids will take it at face value even though the teacher never said it.

8. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Sep 10, 2011

lol! That is exactly how things like that happen!

9. KatherineParr

KatherineParr Comrade

Sep 10, 2011

When I taught *college* and was pregnant, one of my students loved to call out "Hi, baby!" from across the quad. He was a delightful guy, but he just could not understand why I wanted him to stop.

Not really an answer to the OP, I guess, but I thought you might find it amusing.

10. flowerpower31

flowerpower31 Comrade

Sep 10, 2011

That's really odd. Maybe it's a situation like another poster suggested....the kids just do it on their own. I don't think I, as a teacher, would be comfortable forcing my students to say hi to the baby in my belly (when I have one)! :huh:

11. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

Sep 10, 2011

That's pretty much what I think the real story is too.

I just had to post, bc never having been pregnant, I thought maybe it was just me thinking it was weird.

12. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

Sep 10, 2011

Being College....that is amusing!

13. Joyful!

Joyful! Habitué

Sep 10, 2011

Can't you just ask her? (Hey, my nephew tells me the cutest thing. He tells me he says hi to baby everyday. Does that bother you? Should we encourage him to stop?) So, you'd open up the conversation and be able to discern the truth. (and yes, it would be weird if it were true)

14. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

Sep 10, 2011

It's not like my nephew lives with me, I just picked him up from the bus so we could go out to dinner to celebrate the 1st week of school and he slept over. I mentioned it to my sister when I dropped him off before-maybe she'll mention it at meet the teacher night, but I doubt it...not a big deal at all. I was just posting here bc maybe people actually did that- like I said before, I never had kids so I really didn't know.

15. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Sep 10, 2011

I find it very odd. Hoping it was something one of the other students started.