pregnant teacher script

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by missidy, Aug 21, 2008.

1. missidy

missidy Rookie

Aug 21, 2008

I start back to teaching next week but am anticipating some "concerns" from parents when they see I'm pregnant and hear i'll be missing a few months. I've already heard comments from the tight community that "the poor students can't deal with more than one teacher...." Overall, our school parents are very pushy and opinionated about how we do our job. They comment that everything should be focused around ONLY their child, they try to tell us how to run our days etc etc. I don't let parent comments bother me or influence my teaching, but feel that i need a strong script about how the classroom will run smoothly and there won't be any detriment to their child while i'm gone. I know these 8 year old kids are resilient, and parents need to know that teachers have a life, too! Any advice or key phrases to tell parents? Thanks!

3. teachall

teachall Rookie

Aug 21, 2008

Making sure you have a certified retired teacher to take your place can alleviate many concerns that parents might have. Both times I went on maternity leave I had a retired teacher. I also planned my lessons and had a team that worked together to plan and kept the sub informed.
    Good Luck:)

4. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Aug 22, 2008

Oh good grief... teachers get pregnant all the time and no one has been a failure because the teacher was gone a couple of months having a baby and recooping. I've seen teachers in a classroom all year long that did a whole lot worse with a class.

My kiddos did just fine when I was on leave and this is special ed. My sub was familiar with my class and did great!

5. 3Sons

3Sons Enthusiast

Aug 22, 2008

First, congratulations. You're absolutely right that teachers have lives too, and that this is simply something that occurs sometimes in life.

That said, I would encourage you to consider their concerns valid. Unless your school has a clear policy against requesting teachers, it's quite possible with pushy parents that at least some of them have specifically requested you, and now aren't getting what they wanted. Maybe this will make their concerns more palatable.

My son had his second-grade teacher out on maternity leave, and the mid-year transition was a bit difficult. It probably took him about a month or a little more to be comfortable with the second teacher (who was actually the regular teacher; they started the year with a long-term sub).

Show them that you're paying attention to the transitions (it sounds like you're contemplating two transitions, once when you leave and once when you return), and trying to make them as smooth for the students as possible. My son's teacher spent about a week in the classroom with the LTS during the transition phase, and this allayed my concerns (though, apparently was not enough to completely smooth the transition over). I don't think they necessarily did anything wrong in their planning, and yet it still caused problems.

You might gush a bit over the quality of the long-term sub, giving whatever impressive qualifications you can. The parents may be inclined to give her a harder time than they'll give you, so a strong vote of confidence will help her.

You might also consider pointing out that learning to deal with transitions is part of learning to handle life. I was fortunate in that I was not concerned about my son's academics at all, and viewed the transition as a social learning experience for him. Third grade, though, also happens to be one of the grades that some kids start having troubles with academics.

This may sound obvious, but give as clear an indication as possible of when you'll be out and the sub's contact information.

For many parents, the identity and skills of their child's teacher matters more than the identity and skills of the President of the United States, and they've had less choice in the matter. No one would consider being opinionated on how the President does his job improper, even though we realistically know much less about it. Consider that even though they're "opinionated" and "pushy" you "don't let parent comments ... influence [your] teaching". This means that even though they have opinions on something they're deeply invested in, they have no power. When people don't have a way to change things reasonably, they tend to abandon reasonableness as a strategy.

6. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Aug 22, 2008

They will be fine. This isn't advice-but what has happened here. We're on a military base, so often teachers leave because they get orders someplace else. Last year we also had a teacher recovering from breast cancer, so she had 2 different long term subs, and then randomly some substitutes when both the long term subs got orders.

7. LoVe 2 TcH

LoVe 2 TcH Companion

Aug 22, 2008

I had the same thing happen to me. I was 6 month pregnant last september and my parents ked the same thing. I told them that I will work closely with the sub, and will be monitoring the kids progress.

Hopefully your leave goes better then mine.... I had a parent tell my sub thast "it was irresponsible of her to get pregnant!"

Good luck telling the parents, just remember to stand strong.

8. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Aug 22, 2008

Love2teach, I guess you were supposed to time your delivery for summer so it wouldn't be an inconvenience to that parent? Gee, she had a kid, wonder if anyone called her irresponsible??