Pregnant/Parent Letter

Discussion in 'Fourth Grade' started by jenluvs2teach, Jul 31, 2007.

1. jenluvs2teach

jenluvs2teach Rookie

Jul 31, 2007

I found out during the last week of school that I was pregnant. My principal and staff know, but I want to be forthcoming as back to school approaches. I don't want parents to fret over my impending maternity leave. Anyone have any ideas for an addendum to my back to school letter? This is my first, so I have no idea how to phrase it professionally and correctly. Thanks:thanks:

3. musicteach

musicteach Companion

Aug 1, 2007

I'm curious to hear your responses...I'm due Sept 17, so I'll only be back at school for a few weeks before I go on maternity leave. I'm the music teacher, though, so parents won't worry over it as much as if I'm their child's classroom teacher. Right now I'm just thinking of including a very short paragraph about my plans for maternity leave, who will be the sub, and how I can still be contacted during that time.

4. collteach

collteach Comrade

Aug 1, 2007

Honestly, and this might sound awful, I do not think I am going to address the issue right away. I will be 24 weeks pregnant at the start of the school year, so I will be there for 4 months before the baby is born. At this point in time, I am not even sure what my plans are. I will either be taking 12 weeks off, or the remainder of the year. I won't make my final decision about that until sometime in October. I just plan to reassure parents that our principal only hires the very best long-term substitutes. When I had my daughter back in 2004, I never addressed the issue with parents until about a month before my maternity leave. I just let them know that I would be out for the remainder of the school year, but I would be in contact with the substitute teacher on a regular basis. I did tell them that if they had a serious issue that could not be resolved with the substitute, they could email me at my school address. Having a newborn at home is a 24 hour a day job. Although I love teaching, I was not being paid for my leave, therefore I had to focus on my family. I did not want to be inundated with calls or emails about things that I had no control over. I plan to deal with things the same way this time. Most families are very understanding and would not even dream of bothering a teacher while on maternity leave, however, there are always the few that will complain and whine and expect instant answers even though they know the teacher is out with a new baby. I want to discourage that as much as possible.

5. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Aug 1, 2007

First of all CONGRATS TO ALL OF YOU!!!
    I'm taught in a small town, so word seemed to spread pretty fast. I did send home in my back to school letter. Here's what I put. I took out the personal info...but you get the gist. I also talked to the students the first day of school that I'll have to have water & eat snacks with them. They were really excited.

Who is Mrs. ?!?
    I wanted the chance to give you a little background about myself.
    Most of the students have had me as a substitute teacher last year as kindergartners. I had been a substitute teacher at ____ for 3 years. I did my internship (student-teaching) at ________ in a kindergarten class. I did a pre-internship in _____ Elementary in a 1st grade classroom. During my pre-internship I team taught with another College of Education student, together we taught math and science lessons for a half year. I graduated ______ from ____ with a teaching certificate majoring in Elementary Education with a Early Childhood Endorsement.
    I live in the district with my husband. We enjoy traveling, listening to music, and watching movies together. We are expecting our first baby this December. I will return in February to finish out the year. We are very excited and I’m sure your student will be as well.
    If you have any other questions please feel free to contact me.

If you haven't read any of my other posts, I'll put my suggestions here. Sign up at gerber.com, enfamil.com, huggies.com, pampers.com. It's all free and some send samples & coupons!!!

BEST OF LUCK TO YOU ALL & BE HEALTHY FOR THOSE BABIES & YOURSELF!!!

6. Mrs_Barrett

Mrs_Barrett Cohort

Aug 1, 2007

I'm currently 35 and half weeks pregnant and plan on sending a parent welcome letter soon in the mail, as soon as I get my school supply list. I'm new to this program, so none of the parents know me at all. In my first paragraph i'm going to talk about me. How i'm excited to teach at this school and get to know your kids. I will then go on to explain how my husband and I are expecting our first baby on Sept 2nd.

I'm hoping that I get to start school, but who knows. If I don't, then this is my way of communicating with the parents before I come back to school.

7. TXTeacher4

TXTeacher4 Companion

Aug 1, 2007

I was a long term sub before teaching full time. I started in September about 6 weeks after school started. In order to make everyone feel better, I went to all of the back to school events that the school put on. I also wrote a letter to the parents introducing myself as the long term sub. I think they felt much better knowing who I was and seeing me around before the transition.

8. collteach

collteach Comrade

Aug 2, 2007

Ok, all of your great ideas has me thinking that maybe I will send something home about my pregnancy after all :) I guess I am a pretty private person, and to me, having a baby is sort of a private, family thing. I think at this point, I will just mention that I am expecting my 2nd child in late-December and that when the students return from Winter Break, I will be on maternity leave. Since I don't have my plans finalized yet, I won't give them a time-frame.

9. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Aug 2, 2007

Collteach....That's basically what I did....

10. jenluvs2teach

jenluvs2teach Rookie

Aug 6, 2007

Thanks everyone for your responses. I definitely have a better grip on the situation now. I thought, at first, that I needed to go into detail. Since I'm going to be on leave after winter break, I am just going to mention that in my letter. I also agree that being pregnant is a private thing and while we are committed to the education of our students, we also have a stronger committment to our family.
    :)

11. JenL

JenL Comrade

Aug 6, 2007

thanks for the posts because i too am pregnant and expecting in january.
    i think since i am unsure of my plans and am not really showing yet that i might leave this information out of my back to school letter. do you think it is ok to wait or do you think parents will think i was hiding it? mind you i teach at a very small school and some parents may find out from teachers at my school just by accident.

12. Mrs_Barrett

Mrs_Barrett Cohort

Aug 6, 2007

JenL~I wouldn't mention it in your welcome back letter. I would probably mention it at conferences though, because it will be closer to your due date.

13. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Aug 6, 2007

Jen L...if you haven't hit the 3 month point yet I probably wouldn't mention it. Because I taught at a small school a lot of people already knew, that's pretty much why I mentioned it as well.

14. JenL

JenL Comrade

Aug 6, 2007

i will be 17 weeks when i start school....
    my school sounds much like yours but having no definite plans makes me tentative to write anything because i won't know how to answer questions.