Pregnancy!

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by mjennings, Jul 11, 2006.

1. mjennings

mjennings Companion

Jul 11, 2006

I justfound out I am about 6 wks pregnant. I was just changed grade levels to 3rd grade, a grade that is test based. SOL's for anyone who lives in VA. What time is a good time to tell my principle that I am pregnant and plan on taking about 7-8 weeks off?

3. MissBanger

MissBanger Rookie

Jul 11, 2006

I just wanted to tell you......

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!

Best wishes with the pregnancy and the baby:)

4. TeacherRW

TeacherRW Cohort

Jul 11, 2006

Congratulations!! I would wait until you are through your first trimester unless you absolutely can't wait due to sickness, etc. I would err on the side of caution because of personal experience. I announced at our first inservice day that I was expecting my 2nd child in February. That very afternoon I had a call from my OB concerned about some elevated levels on my quad-screen. I had to go in and had a quickly scheduled u/s to look for soft indicators. My quad screen showed elevated levels for a birth defect Trisomy 18, Edward's Syndrome. With that "fear", I wished that I had waited to tell my colleagues and tried to hide my pregnancy that evening during our "Back-to-School Night". If the results were positive, medical termination of the pregnancy would have been strongly considered. We ended up having an amnio that proved conclusively that all was well... my Amethyst Angel arrived on Feb. 4th, 2005. She is an absolute doll!!

Back to the point, I would wait for a while "just to be safe". While it is a time of great excitement, it is still a time of concern and a bit of caution. I wish you the best and will offer any/all advice that I have. I read, read, and read everything that I could get my hands on concerning having a baby. I reread most of my books with the 2nd one. :) I am thinking that my nurses probably wish that I wouldn't have been so knowledgeable.

Again, Congratulations on your February/March baby!!

5. mjennings

mjennings Companion

Jul 11, 2006

Thanks so much for the advice!

6. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Jul 11, 2006

I wouldn't even announce my pregnancy until after I reached 3 months. That's just my opinion

7. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 12, 2006

Congrats!!!!

Good advice! Most people wait until the end of the 1st trimester, just in case. The only exception is if morning sickness becomes an issue. (For me, taking my prenatal vitamins at night were a help. They didn't decrease the MS-- nothing did!!!-- but they moved it to night. I could lay perfectly still in bed and sometimes not get sick.) For many women, MS is a non issue, so I say wait.

Congrats again!!

8. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

Jul 12, 2006

I always announced my pregnancies fairly early. I did have a miscarriage once, and, actually, I was glad everyone knew I was already pregnant...it would have been much more difficult to explain my absences and my generally "down" mood by telling everyone, "well, I WAS pregnant, but lost the baby, so I'm having a tough time." Because everyone knew, I only had to tell one teacher that I was miscarrying, and word got out, and I received an incredible outpouring of support.

I always told my principal RIGHT away, especially when I was pregnant with my 2nd and 3rd kids...because their births required that I miss the first few months of school, and that's a really bad time. I wanted to prepare her for that...
    Kim

9. Alyssa29

Alyssa29 Rookie

Jul 12, 2006

Congrats!!! I was in your shoes last year. Last year was my first year to teach. I found out the 2nd week of school that I was pregnant. I shared the news with a fellow teacher next to me because I needed someone to watch my class when I had to run to the bathroom. I didn't tell my principal until I was 13wks. I wanted to make sure that everything was alright. I explained that to her and she was fine. She didn't care that I had waited. She was just excited that everything was going well.

Good Luck!

10. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Jul 12, 2006

CONGRATS!!! Here's to a happy, healthy pregnancy!!!

I think whatever your comfort level is. I found out after being hired and was going to tell the principal, but she was on vacation, well, word got around & she found out from another teacher, but I did call and explain to hear I wanted to tell her myself!!!

11. Carla

Carla Companion

Jul 12, 2006

Congratulations, I would go ahead and tell the principal now. Just ask her that she keep it under wraps until you are ready to announce it to everyone. This way if something happens while you are at school she will be prepared. A lot of school districts also like to prebook substitutes for long term absences.

12. thecottage

thecottage Guest

Jul 12, 2006

Congrats to you! I always had to tell early because of morning sickness. I am keeping you in my prayers!

13. adria

adria Comrade

Jul 12, 2006

Congrats...enjoy the pregnancy, you can tell your principal after the first trimester..

14. teacherbell

teacherbell Cohort

Jul 12, 2006

Congratulations! Best wishes for a smooth pregnancy!!

15. harbodin

harbodin Companion

Jul 15, 2006

NOW. I teach in VA, but in K, and our principal always like to know in advance so they could line up the "good" subs early. Two of our 3rd grade teachers were out on maternity leave from Dec to at least march (the one all yr bc baby had issues). Principals are much nicer if they know WHY you look miserable, are always in the bathroom, etc. I am preg and told mine right away. I was worried bc the beginning of the year is a horrible time to be out for K (they don't know a teacher's desk or how to walk in a line), but everyone has been great about it.