Pregnancy question...

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by mrs_thompson, Mar 7, 2009.

1. mrs_thompson

mrs_thompson Rookie

Mar 7, 2009

Okay, so I am really confused. I went to see my doctor last week because I was having severe pain on my left side. I called the doctor on call the night before at midnight. She was thinking a cyst that had ruptured. The doctor that I saw concluded (using ultrasound) that yes there was a cyst on my left ovary. I am on Clomid and he said that the cyst is from the medicine. Anyway, while I was there he did a urine sample. It came back as positive for pregnancy. So, I had blood work done, and my doctor told me to come back in a week so he could check on my pregnancy and the cyst. Now that I have told you the story, here is my question. Is it possible that I really am pregnant when I just had a two-day period on February 22nd and 23rd? My doctor has said that according to those dates, I am about two weeks pregnant. Can someone explain this to me?
    Thanks.

3. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Mar 7, 2009

Yes, you can be pregnant and still have a slight period caused by the egg implanting in your uterus.

4. mrs_thompson

mrs_thompson Rookie

Mar 7, 2009

So, tests will reveal that someone is pregnant even at only two weeks?

5. myangel52

myangel52 Comrade

Mar 7, 2009

Some will -- the ones that your doctor does do. They are hyper-sensitive to levels of HGC (I think that is the hormone). Far more than store bought brands -- even those are getting pretty sensitive, though!

My horror story about cyst: I had a cyst rupture so badly that it caused internal bleeding, and had to have emergency surgery to repair things. It was then, in the Emergency Room, that I found out that I was 2 or 3 weeks pregnant with our first child. They didn't know it was a ruptured cyst until I was in surgery -- they thought it might be an ectopic pregnancy.

At least you don't have to go through that! :) Seriously, though, beckysuek is right... it is completely possible to be pregnant. Good luck

6. mrs_thompson

mrs_thompson Rookie

Mar 7, 2009

Okay, thanks for the information. I am just nervous about the whole situation because I have been bleeding/spotting since I had the pain last week. I am hoping that I am pregnant and things go well.

7. lilmisses1014

lilmisses1014 Comrade

Mar 7, 2009

:hugs: I'll be thinking of you!! The bleeding might be from the implantation? I've never been pregnant, but some of my girlfriends have mentioned that happening to them.

Many happy thoughts and prayers are going your way!!!!

8. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Mar 7, 2009

Implantation bleeding is pretty common. Having light periods your first month is also common, but not as common as spotting at implantation. I would say it's time to congratuate you on the impending arrival :)

9. Mrs. Q

Mrs. Q Cohort

Mar 7, 2009

It could have been implantation bleeding, or it could have been a light period. Either way, it would be possible for the doctor to tell that you're pregnant. Congrats! :)

10. mrs_thompson

mrs_thompson Rookie

Mar 8, 2009

Thanks everyone. You have all made me feel better. I will feel even better when I go back to the doctor this week. That way I can tell him what I have been experiencing, and he can tell me what the problem is.

11. mrs_thompson

mrs_thompson Rookie

Mar 12, 2009

Okay, another question...
    Last Wednesday I went in and had my HCG levels tested. They were 335. Yesterday (the following Wednesday) I went in again for the same thing. They were 354 yesterday. Can anyone explain what this means?

12. Teaching Grace

Teaching Grace Connoisseur

Mar 12, 2009

The HCG level tells the doctor how pregnant you are for one. When you are pregnant it increases slightly every day. HCG (can't remember what it stands for) is the hormone in your system that also triggers the pregnacy test.

13. Kindergarten31

Kindergarten31 Cohort

Mar 12, 2009

I also think that you should write down these questions and ask your doctor or at least the nurse. They can give you the most accurate answers! These are important and serious questions and although I like to get other people's opinions, your doctor is the one you need to talk to.

14. mrs_thompson

mrs_thompson Rookie

Mar 12, 2009

I am going to see my doctor today. I have all of these questions written down. I am just not patient, so I thought I'd see if anyone had any advice or comments. I don't go to the doctor for 5 hours, and I am soooo impatient.

15. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Mar 12, 2009

Yes the levels go up as your pregnancy progresses.

Sadly, I lost 2 pregnancies. The doctor knew the pregnancy had failed because of the blood tests on 2 consecutive days - the hormone level was going down each day.

So it sounds like good news for you! I think the cyst could also affect hormone levels and cause a "period." But do write down your questions and let us know how it goes!

16. mrs_thompson

mrs_thompson Rookie

Mar 12, 2009

Well, I wish I had good news. Unfortunately, I found out today that I have an ectopic pregnancy.

17. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Mar 12, 2009

Oh, I'm so sorry/

18. myangel52

myangel52 Comrade

Mar 12, 2009

Oh no.... I am so sorry! I wish I could give you a big hug. But that does explain the pain you were describing.

I wish there was something that we could say to help you feel better. I am so sorry.

19. lilmisses1014

lilmisses1014 Comrade

Mar 12, 2009

Oh, I'm so sorry!! :( :hugs: to you!!

20. mrs_thompson

mrs_thompson Rookie

Mar 12, 2009

Does anyone know of anyone that has used methotrexate injection? It is used to shrink the ectopic pregnancy. It is a shot, and I am really nervous about it. I have to go tomorrow to get it done.

21. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Mar 12, 2009

:hugs: ms_thompson. I'm so sorry that this happened to you.

22. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Mar 13, 2009

I don't know about the shot - call your pharmacist and get the pros and cons.

I am sorry about the ectopic pregnancy. Thankful they caught it and are treating you. It certainly explains the pain you were having. Maybe the doctor can tell you teh "why" of ectopic p.g. My understanding is that sometimes they just happen that way.

Hope you are better soon. I don't know how you feel emotionally. But if you get the "blues" please remember you DO have p.g. hormones floating around and it could take a bit to settle and feel like your normal self again. And it is ok if you are sad over the loss. Pamper yourself a bit.