Pregnancy/Due Date planning?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by cby1224, Nov 12, 2012.

1. cby1224

cby1224 Companion

Nov 12, 2012

DH and I are thinking about ttc (actually did ttc the last couple of months to no avail). My biggest issue is that if we conceived this month or the next few, I would be due August, September, October respectivly which covers the first three months of school. I am in the midst of changing careers and I am not currently teaching but I hope to get a job this summer and I would be obviously pregnant at any interviews. I am on the fence about the issue. I have talked to others and have mixed opinions about it. I don't want to blow a chance making this career move but I am also not getting any younger. Dh is on board with whatever I feel like is best so the decision is totally mine. I guess, with all that said, I would love to hear more opinions from teachers about the timing of the pregnancy and due date. :)

3. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Nov 12, 2012

I really wanted to time a due date. I had it all planned-I would get pregnant and be due towards the end of the school year so I could have the summer off with a baby. However, my husband and I have now been trying for 9 months without getting pregnant. So I'm past trying to plan it-I will be happy any time of the year that it happens.

So I don't think you should plan around a job. Schools are used to teachers going on maternity leave. They will be able to work around it if you are pregnant.

4. cby1224

cby1224 Companion

Nov 12, 2012

I guess that is my biggest delima. If I could "pick" a due date, it would have been this May 13'. I am just hesitant to have a possible August due date and not get a job, just because I will be out on ML the first 3 months of school. :confused:

5. melnm

melnm Companion

Nov 12, 2012

I agree with Far. It took us 11 months to get pregnant with our first. At that point, planning didn't matter. I just wanted to be pregnant.

6. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Nov 12, 2012

You can plan to NOT have babies, especially at a time that is inconvenient.

To the OP, if you're concerned about a beginning-of-school due date, then maybe you should consider taking a very short break from baby-making, just for a month or two, and then pick back up when a due date will be more suitable. I think that would be smart. To me, it is certainly much smarter than adopting a devil-may-care attitude and ending up in a situation where you can't provide for your new family because you can't get a job.

7. BettyRubble

BettyRubble Rookie

Nov 12, 2012

I agree with Caesar. I was also going to suggest putting it on hold just for a couple months to get past the start of the school year.

8. cby1224

cby1224 Companion

Nov 12, 2012

Caesar- I agree that we can prevent for a few months if we decide to. I do have a job that I will not leave if I don't have a position teaching H.S. Chemistry or Biology so the not having a job isn't an issue. Honestly my only issue is a potential employer not hiring me because I am about to have a baby at any moment.
    I appreciate everyone’s advice. DH and I are still discussing this and maybe the best compromise is preventing a few months and then ttc for a winter due date.

9. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Nov 12, 2012

It took my husband and I almost two years and multiple rounds of fertility drugs to get pregnant both times. While it would be nice to "plan" a due date, sometimes it just doesn't happen that way. There is no "ideal" part of the year to miss. Students will still miss instruction from you whether it's in August or May. If you are able to support a baby now, without the teaching job, continue trying. I know many more people who regret choices they have made regarding family than jobs.

10. K1teach

K1teach Companion

Nov 12, 2012

I agree that it is very difficult to plan due dates. With our oldest, we were hoping to have a due date during the school year to use up some sick days so that if I was offered a job in another district I wouldn't go to 0 sick days and want a baby soon. He was born in June and I used no sick days other than one or two doctor appointments! Baby planning is often outside our realm of influence!