Pregnancy and teaching

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Pencil Monkey, Aug 13, 2011.

1. Pencil Monkey

Pencil Monkey Devotee

Aug 13, 2011

So my open house went great and I got my classroom put together. My team and admin know I am pregnant. I am just starting to show at 15 weeks. I look chubby right now and have been able to sort of hide my belly. This is my second child, so I am getting bigger faster.:rolleyes:

Anyway, should I tell my fifth graders and when? Or should I let them figure it out? I am really struggling with this.

3. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Aug 13, 2011

I would tell them, but wait as long as possible. I think I told my sixth graders a little over half way through (it was the start of the year and I was clearly showing).

When you do tell them, make sure you have a letter for the parents explaining your maternity leave and that the students will be in good hands. That was majority of the questions that I got.

4. Emily Bronte

Emily Bronte Groupie

Aug 13, 2011

I would agree with Mopar. When are you due...Januaryish??

5. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Aug 13, 2011

Congrats!! I agree with mopar.

6. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Aug 13, 2011

Oh, if your administration knows who your long-term sub will be, it's not a bad idea to see if you can include this in your letter with contact information. If not, just write a letter for right before you start leave to give them the new contact information.

7. teachgrade5

teachgrade5 Comrade

Aug 13, 2011

I am in the same boat as you. I am planning on letting all of my parents know at the Parent Night we have the second week of school. I am further along than you (I will be 23 weeks on Tuesday and I am having twins) so a lot of people already know that I am pregnant.

Congratulations on your pregnancy!!