Pregnacy Update

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Teaching Grace, Nov 18, 2009.

1. Teaching Grace

Teaching Grace Connoisseur

Nov 18, 2009

Hey everyone! I just wanted to tell you what was going on in my corner of the South East :) A lot of you know that I am expecting my second child. Well, she's due on January 8th but I was having pains over the weekend. Monday I went to the doctor's office to have them checked out... and ended up in the hospital because I was having contractions and needed to monitored. My little girl is only 32 weeks and 5 days. She would be okay if she was born today...because that's what it's looking like is going to happen. I was 2 cm Monday, 2 cm yesterday, and 4 cm an hour ago when they checked me...... Just need some support from all of my wonderful friends here. We've talked to the NICU doctors about the possibilities of what would happen if she was born. She'd have to be in the NICU for several more weeks until she could breathe and eat on her own as well as maintain her temperature. It just very scary. On top of it all, I am exhausted from sleeping in a very uncomfortable hospital bed, tired of being poked and prodded, as well as missing my son.... I haven't seen him since Sunday since my husband is out of work and has been keeping him at home while I work.

3. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Nov 18, 2009

Sending you lots of good wishes and hugs - keep us updated, as best you can. :hugs: :love: :hugs: :love: :hugs:

4. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Nov 18, 2009

I'm sorry to hear the news tn2:hugs:. I was born a month early and think that I turned out perfect :lol:. Keep your knees crossed and hopefully your little girl will hold off for another week or two.

5. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Nov 18, 2009

Prayers & tell that baby "stay in there"!!! LOL!!!

My friend was 8 wks early & is on scholarship for a sport in college!!!

6. Dzenna

Dzenna Groupie

Nov 18, 2009

My good friend's grandaughter was born 6 weeks early this June due to a situation which sounds like yours. We were so scared. After a week in NICU the sweet little girl went home. Today, we laugh when we see the double chins and chubby arms and legs of this healthy 6 week preemie.

Sending hugs and prayers your way. :hugs:

7. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Nov 18, 2009

:hugs: As the proud mother of a trio of preemies, I can tell you that while this won't be easy, all the worry and stress is worth it in the end. My boys were born at progressively earlier gestations, and while we had our ups and downs, they all turned out just fine in the end. The NICU can be a scary place, but the staff will probably hold your hand throughout the entire process.

The other thing you have going for you guys is that you're having a little girl. Girls tend to be healthier, heartier and recover sooner than boys.

Feel free to PM me if you need an extra hug from somebody who's been there. I'll keep your family in my prayers.

8. Teaching Grace

Nov 18, 2009

Thank ya'll for the wonderful thoughts! I am definitely love the great positive stories :) The NICU nurse that we spoke with also had a daughter who was born about this time (33 weeks). She was telling us that her daughter was about 2 months behind developmentally until about 16 months. I.E.- crawling at 6 months instead of 4 and walking at 14 months instead of 12. I'm feeling okay about all of what's going on.. well as best as possible. I'm more unnerved about the fact that I haven't been home, tired of being stuck with needles, and haven't seen my son since Sunday. My grandmother is bringing him later so that I can see him.

9. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Nov 18, 2009

Sending lots of good thoughts your way.

10. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Nov 18, 2009

All the discomfort will be worth it in the end. I was hospitalized for 14 weeks in my last pregnancy (the hospital stays were shorter in the other two...more of an in and out thing, so I lost track of the time for those two). Trust me. Just like the pain of labor, you forget all about this when you finally get to hold your baby (be prepared for the fact that it might be a while before you can hold her...it's still worth it though).

11. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Nov 18, 2009

My twins were born at 35 weeks. Their doctor told me to use their due at as their developmental date.

12. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Nov 18, 2009

I agree with this as well. All my children were "behind" according to their birthdates, but just fine and dandy if you calculated from when they should have been born. The only one that has any issues anymore is the youngest, and those issues are minor. We recently moved him back to first grade and I made the joke that he is just on his conception schedule instead of his birth schedule.

13. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Nov 18, 2009

I'm thinking positive thoughts and sending prayers for you and your family.

14. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Nov 18, 2009

This is exactly how dd was! She's a normal kindergartener!!

15. SouthernBuckeye

SouthernBuckeye Companion

Nov 18, 2009

Yay January 8! That's my birthday! :D

16. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Nov 18, 2009

I was born six weeks early and started walking at nine months.

But I'm still praying for your daughter to stay in there a few more weeks!

17. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Nov 18, 2009

Teaching N 2... stopped to check on you & babe. Hope all is well tonite.

18. Teaching Grace

Nov 19, 2009

Hey ya'll! Just an update! About 5:30 last night I started having contractions that they were (finally) able to see on the monitor. They pumped me full of fluids and muscle relaxers and I'm pretty sure that they stopped. They didn't pick up any last night while I was asleep. We're just waiting on the doctor to come in for rounds. That way they will probably check me again to see if I've dilated anymore. If I have (but haven't been feeling the contractions) I definitely won't be going home since I wouldn't be able to tell when to come back and might possibly end up having a preemie at home (yikes!!). Not quite sure what the other possible scenarios are. I guess one would be staying here to continue being observed. Or if I have continued to dilate then and am far enough along they may just let the baby come. I'm not really sure. Thank you to everyone for all of your wonderful support though! It's really hard just to sit and wait.

19. fast chalk

fast chalk Comrade

Nov 19, 2009

I´m praying for you and for your baby!
    the biggest hug!!!! all about your pregnancy will be fine,
    I´m sure!

20. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

Nov 19, 2009

Good luck!!

21. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Nov 19, 2009

Glad to hear you got a little sleep last nite. I know you are hating the sitting & waiting, but probably the longer the better!!!

22. smalltowngal

Nov 19, 2009

Praying for you!! I know when I went into labor early they gave me pills 2x a day to stop the contractions. They worked for another month so instead of having her at 26 wks I had her at 32 wks.

23. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Nov 19, 2009

You and your baby are in my thoughts.

24. Teaching Grace

Nov 19, 2009

Okay, a new update....I might get to go home by Thanksgiving. How depressing is that? Oh well, I am just hanging out and waiting. Everyday is another day that will help her be better prepared for the world. I'm just watching tv and surfing the net. Wow is it weird to go from the teaching day of go, go, go to just sit, sit, sit!

25. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Nov 19, 2009

Enjoy that sitting while you can!!!

26. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Nov 19, 2009

You guys are in my prayers. Have they given you sterioids to speed up her lung development? That can make a HUGE difference if she does come a little early. Take a deep breath and relax. That's the best thing you can do for your baby (even if it's the hardest thing for you to do right now). Ask the hospital if they have any patient services geared toward patients in your position. When I spent all those months hospitalized, they brought in craft teachers, a billion books, and various other projects to keep me occupied while I waited it out.

More :hugs: Glad things are stable.

27. Teaching Grace

Nov 19, 2009

Yep. We've had steroids (2 doses on Tuesday) and they keep giving me lots of wonderful antibiotics as well :) I called and updated my school. I think they're going to try and get some stuff together for me to keep me busy. My mom is also going to bring me some crochet later. I'd love my cross-stitch but with this IV in my hand, I won't be able to grip the loop firmly enough. Thanks for thoughts ya'll!

28. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Nov 19, 2009

YOU SHOULD BE RESTING!!! LOL!!! Don't stress yourself out about the school stuff either. I hope the crochet will help keep you busy!!!

29. Teaching Grace

Nov 19, 2009

Lol, I think that they were thinking more like books and magazines to read than anything else. I'm working on "forgetting" about the writing papers in my car that need to be graded.....*looks around at the ceiling*

30. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Nov 19, 2009

If you really must work, research teaching methods and call it professional development. :D

31. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Nov 19, 2009

I fell at school and went into labor over a month early. My daughter was in ICU for 3 days and turned out great. She is a wonderful, smart, and kind girl.

32. smalltowngal

Nov 19, 2009

teaching~you sound just like me. I was actually in the hospital over Thanksgiving. My parents, sister, and husband brought a traditional Thanksgiving dinner up to the hospital room. I got out the day after Christmas. DD came home 5 weeks later.

33. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Nov 19, 2009

Actually, I have a better idea. Spend all your time letting us keep your spirits up, and occasionally read actual school related threads and call THAT professional development. :D

34. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Nov 19, 2009

We are helping with your typing, spelling & communication skills!! LOL!!!:D

35. Teaching Grace

Nov 19, 2009

lol Ya'll crack me up! Well it's 10 after 7 here. At about 4:30-5:00, I started having regular contractions that were about 3-5 minutes apart. They started firing me up with LOTS of drugs! They were able to stop the contractions. Apparently the overall goal is just to get me to 34 weeks (next Friday). That's the minimum before they will just let me go into labor apparently. But at least I know that I won't be going home for the next week and I can just settle in (into my super uncomfy hospital bed!). I did get to see my son again today for a little bit. He acted like he's mad at me and his dad since he hasn't seen us that much this week. Bless his heart. I feel so guilty about it.

Thanks again for making me laugh, smile, and keeping my hopes up!

36. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Nov 19, 2009

Ask for an egg crate bed pad. It made a world of difference for me.

37. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Nov 19, 2009

We'll take turns staying up with you if you get bored in the evenings. My assistant's DIL just went through this same thing a few weeks ago. She went into labor at 32 weeks, they got her stopped until she was 34 weeks, and she had a beautiful boy who went home right on time. Keep rested!

38. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Nov 19, 2009

Ditto on the eggcrate mattress - you need to be comfortable. Have someone bring you some audio books for a change of pace, or some DVDs that you can play on your computer. Catch up on the classic movies you've always meant to watch.

39. KLSSwimmer

KLSSwimmer Habitué

Nov 19, 2009

Sending hugs your way - Enjoy this time of "peace" as much as you can! :hugs:

40. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Nov 19, 2009

I was never in your position, so ladies who are/ I feel for ya.

Glad we are "helping" in our own little ways for ya!!!

I like the catching up on movies.

So TN2 are you getting caught up in any daytime dramas?!?! We DVR Y& R but now that Victor's on his "rehab" not all that interesting.

Just to let you know they are predicing measurable snow for us next week sometime!!! Yay!!! LOL!!! Time to get snowboots & coats...those darn lil ones have a habit of outgrowing from yr to yr!! LOL!!! Luckily mine all still fit!!!

41. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Nov 19, 2009

I third the motion on the egg-crate mattress pad.

I can spend hours with the newspaper and the daily puzzles. If you're not into Sudoku yet, give it a try.