Prediction

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Miss Kirby, Sep 13, 2007.

1. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Sep 13, 2007

What are some good books for predicting?

I'd like to read aloud a book, stop at a certain part and have students draw what they think might happen next, then read the rest of the story and confirm their predictions.

3. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Sep 13, 2007

You could use "If you give a Mouse a Cookie", "If you take a Mouse to the Movies" Those are the only ones I can think of. We used it in 2nd grade. We read the story, then wrote our own as a class. Then I divided the students into groups and they had to draw a certain scene of our story.

4. jacksprat379

jacksprat379 Rookie

Sep 13, 2007

In one of my field experiences for my education program, I used the book Lost in the Woods by Carl R. Sams & Jean Stoick. There's a certain part in the book where the baby deer is hiding & a shadow approaches. It was a good place for my 2nd grader to determine who the shadow belonged to (the mommy deer.) The book has photographic illustrations of a baby deer & other animals of the forest. I made a journaling sheet w/some deer clipart for her to write her prediction on.
    http://www.amazon.com/Lost-Woods-Photographic-Carl-Sams/dp/0967174880

5. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Sep 13, 2007

We already read all the If You Give.... books! Thanks though!

Keep the ideas coming!

Last year I read The Royal Bee, but I don't have that book, I had to borrow it from someone. And I want to do that book later in the year.

6. KatieS

KatieS Rookie

Sep 13, 2007

Stanley's Party is good for predicting.

7. teach2004

teach2004 Companion

Sep 13, 2007

I did that with The Class Pet from the Black Lagoon. The book talks about all of the different and crazy things that the class pet could be. I stopped right before she brought the pet in and had my students draw their prediction of what they thought the pet was. They couldn't wait for me to finish it.

8. lcluigs03

lcluigs03 Cohort

Sep 13, 2007

i like duck on a bike. there is a part in the middle of the book that has all the animals just staring at you...predict what happens next. and at the end duck is looking at a tractor rubbing his chin...predict what duck is thinking. there are other spots too, but these are what i remember right now. :) kids love this book at all ages!

LC

9. Youngteacher226

Youngteacher226 Enthusiast

Sep 13, 2007

Honestly Kirby, you could teach prediction using any book.
    I have the kids "turn & talk" and make a prediction for almost every read aloud I do. Kids can make prediction in any simple book like Wimberly Worried, or any book that you think the kids can make a connection to and be able to predict what might happen. It doesn't necessarily have to be a "predictable" book. I hope this makes sense.

10. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Sep 13, 2007

Very true. I just want to find one that would be great for them to draw what they think is going to happen next. I just need to look at my books at school, I'm sure there are many options I can use!

11. Youngteacher226

Sep 13, 2007

I see what you are saying. Can you explain why you want them to draw? I'm just interested in hearing about the lesson.:)

12. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Sep 13, 2007

Honestly I'm doing this for a master's class assignment. One of the lessons we can teach (we have to do three on prediction) is called Stop and Draw. This is from Strategies That Work. So you read up to a certain point, students are supposed to draw what is happening right now in the story, and then draw what they think is going to happen next. Then you go back and finish reading the story.

Last year I did something a little different. I had the students write their prediction, and then write their thinking about their prediction. This was when we read The Royal Bee.

13. Youngteacher226

Sep 13, 2007

I gotcha! I got some assignments due for my master's class too!:)I hope someone can add some more insight to this for you. I just can't think right now off the top of my head.:(I wish I was looking @ my classroom library right now.

14. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Sep 14, 2007

Thanks!! I'll figure it out for sure. There have to be a lot of books I can use sitting on my shelf, I'll scope it out on Monday.

It's a little difficult because we do a new strategy a week (schema, questioning, inferring, prediction, etc). I really wanted to focus on songs and nursery rhymes and lots of procedures all of September but I have to do 3 comprehension lessons a week, so that leaves me two other days of freedom (well one day we have a spelling test, so that really leaves one). Last year I spent 4-6 weeks on one strategy. It's frustrating, but I'm making it work!! Hey- no final exam, no research paper, just doing good things with my kids. It works!

15. [gloworm]

[gloworm] Rookie

Sep 14, 2007

This sounds like a fun lesson!

The first story that came to my mind is "The Mitten". I'm thinking ... you could even give them a mitten-shaped paper, they draw the animals already in the mitten, then what they think comes next... I'd love to see someone tear the mitten into pieces for the ending!

If you'd rather use a less-familiar story one of my new favorites is "Skippyjon Jones". I think it's only been around for a few years...at least everytime I've read it either to my own preschoolers or when I've shared it in my children's elem. classrooms none of the students (or teachers) have heard it before. They always love it (very funny) and has some great places you could pause with real drama!!!

Not sure whether you're looking for a story where they can accurately predict the next part of the story, or creatively come up with their own reasonable ending based on the events of the story so far... but either way, now you've got my brain going....:lol:

Good Luck! -Glo.

16. jacksprat379

jacksprat379 Rookie

Sep 14, 2007

Gloworm - My 5yo ds & I LOVE Skippyjon Jones, & I recommend it to everyone for a fun read!

17. [gloworm]

[gloworm] Rookie

Sep 14, 2007

Yea,... I'm a little embarrassed to say that I just can't get enough "Skippyjon Jones" :eek: Guess that it shows my true maturity level ... pre-K! :p

But the teacher in me says "Oh, the vocabulary!...the rhyming!...the foreign language and cultural diversity!" (Even if it is only between siamese cats and chihuahuas!)

I tie it into my lessons whenever I can ... the kids never get tired of hearing it and I get to practice "my very beeest Spanish accent"!;)

18. jacksprat379

jacksprat379 Rookie

Sep 14, 2007

Sorry to take over the thread w/Skippyjon, but....I know exactly what you mean. My son loves to clap along w/the songs & I love the language. (My ears are too beeg for my head, my head is too beeg for my body! I am not a Siamese cat, I am a chihuahua! lol) Our fave is still the original although I quickly snatched up In Mummy Trouble & In the Dog-House, too.

So anyway just want you to know I'm on the bandwagon with you even if it does put us at the preK/Kindy level!

19. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Sep 14, 2007

Skippy Jon is the best! I call my dog Skippy Jon Jones/Skippito Friskito sometimes.... because he's a dog who likes to pretend he's a cat.... he gets mad at me when I call him Mr. Kitten Britches... hahaha.

Back to prediction... I want them to predict what is going to happen next and I want the book to confirm their predictions.

20. jacksprat379

jacksprat379 Rookie

Sep 14, 2007

How about King Bidgood's in the Bathtub:
    http://www.amazon.com/King-Bidgoods...4970519?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1189799804&sr=1-1

The premise is that everyone in the court tries to get the king out of the tub, but he ends up w/everyone in with him until the tub is brimming with people. Finally (the prediction) not knowing what else to do, the page pulls the plug & they all get out. The pictures are really detailed.

21. jacksprat379

jacksprat379 Rookie

Sep 14, 2007

Old favorites:
    Very Hungry Caterpillar (what happens after he makes the cocoon?)
    Where the Wild Things Are (will Max go home or stay w/the wild things?)
    Green Eggs & Ham (will he eat them?)

22. patti2

patti2 Cohort

Sep 14, 2007

How about a mystery book? There is one out there about a stolen jam sandwich and I can't think of the title. Mysteries are full of prediction!