Pre Service Teacher Employment

Discussion in 'Student & Preservice Teachers' started by tdawson1313, Nov 18, 2016.

?

Would you take on teaching STEM in a casual role whilst studying?

1. Yes

1 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. tdawson1313

tdawson1313 Guest

Nov 18, 2016

I am currently in the process of launching a new business bringing STEM education to the early years. I will need, very early on to employ others to run sessions within early childhood settings covering STEM and digital technology sessions (1 hour max with 5-10 students). Is this the type of pre-service employment that students currently undertaking their teaching degrees would be interested in? I envision it being 15 hours per week per teacher at a part time or casual rate. They would implementing a play based digital curriculum that encompasses STEM concepts. I believe that employing pre-service teachers would be an ideal employment link - thoughts? ideas? feedback?

3. miss-m

miss-m Devotee

Nov 18, 2016

I don't think I could have done anything for 15 hours a week when I was in school. My teaching courses and field placements were almost full time. If it was closer to a couple hours then maybe; but the pay would have to be enough to make it worth the extra time.

4. heatherberm

heatherberm Cohort

Nov 18, 2016

In the first few years of undergrad, I probably could have (and would have) done this if the schedule worked around mine and the pay was equivalent to what I'd make at another part-time job. I was a non-traditional student so my life was in a different place when I was doing my teaching undergrad, but most of my younger classmates when to school full-time and had a part-time job so I don't think school and work are necessarily a conflict. My student teaching year it wouldn't have worked just because of time and scheduling.