Pre-School

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by rockangel312, Jan 21, 2010.

1. rockangel312

rockangel312 Companion

Jan 21, 2010

I got called for a Preschool teaching position, but I am only certified K -5. Is it worth going to the interview?

3. dragonfly05

dragonfly05 Companion

Jan 21, 2010

Preschool generally doesn't require a credential of any sort. Most likely, you are overqualified for the position and will be getting paid less than you would as an elementary school teacher (at least in CA). So, if that is something you are okay with--it definitely would not hurt to go to the interview!

4. rockangel312

rockangel312 Companion

Jan 21, 2010

I looked on their website and it said I must posses Pre-school to grade 3. But I indicated in my cover letter and resume that I have my CEAS in Elementary Education. I'm not sure now if it'll be an issue. All well, we shall see!

5. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Jan 21, 2010

dragonfly, that depends on the specific of the job...

public school preschool/preK generally DOES require teaching certification. I worked in a corporate/chain preK program for a few years, and, for any classroom over the age of 2's, they ONLY hire certified teachers (or those with an AA and tons of experience)... even though that's not required by the state.

Mine did, however, hire EC (birth-3rd grade) or elemenraty (K-9) certificates, they just wanted to be able ot say all of their lead teachers are teacher certified ;)

So... to answer rockangel's question... I say it's ALWAYS worth going to an interview :) You've been up front about what certification you have... they may be able to overlook it. And good luck!

6. green78

green78 Companion

Jan 22, 2010

What school is the interview for? Once I know that I could help you better because I use to teach preschool in NJ.

7. dragonfly05

dragonfly05 Companion

Jan 22, 2010

Oh! I was unaware of this. I have 5 friends who work in a preschool with no college degree...and I actually taught preschool when I first started college. I've been looking at preschool positions, and almost every single one requires an AA degree and 12 education units. Like I said in my original post, that is what I have noticed in California. It sounds like it's different depending on where you are. ;)

8. greengables

greengables Rookie

Jan 23, 2010

4 years ago we moved to a new town. When I went to register my daughter for school I asked if they had any openings (sub, aide or teacher). They needed a preschool teacher, my credential was for elementary. They hired me anyway, with the provision that I would take the Praxis to get certified in ece. They even paid for the test! Go for the interview-you never know what may turn up!

9. Rebel1

Rebel1 Connoisseur

Jan 23, 2010

If the job is in a Public school THEN you better go to that interview. They will pay you what you are worth. If it is with a privately owned Pre-School, then it's a different story, BUT you DO NEED TO GO TO THE INTERVIEW regardless of who is doing it. You'll NEVER KNOW who can make it OR break it for you. What if the person who was supposed to interview you KNOWS someone in a school district that you WANT TO WORK IN? What will he/she tell someone who might WANT TO INTERVIEW YOU IN THE FUTURE FOR A PUBLIC SCHOOL POSITION? Let's see, "Oh! Her? NO! She was supposed to interview with us, BUT didn't even show. In fact she cancelled it @ the last minute! If I were you, I wouldn't even waste my time on her!":eek:
    Think about it,
    Rebel1

10. darlibby

darlibby Companion

Jan 23, 2010

Rebel, that is a bit of a stretch. But I agree, go to the interview and see what happens.

Good luck!

11. Rebel1

Rebel1 Connoisseur

Jan 23, 2010

I know, BUT stuff happens!:D
    Never burn bridges.
    Rebel1

12. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Jan 24, 2010

I can believe the story. When we got married, my parents sold their house the same day they listed it, which was two days after my wedding. My husband went to the employment department for help in job hunting, he was new in town. The interviewer at the Employment Department was the man who just bought my parent's house. He sent my husband down to a new company in town, and guess who interviewed him--our new landlord. He got the job.

13. green78

green78 Companion

Jan 24, 2010

Did you go on the interview??? If so how did it go??

14. rockangel312

rockangel312 Companion

Jan 24, 2010

Green- It's for a school in Glassboro, NJ. Are you familiar with that district?

15. rockangel312

rockangel312 Companion

Jan 25, 2010

Nevermind. The secretary just called and told me that my interview for tomorrow was canceled. She said they filled the position internally. :/ I'm bummed, but at least she called and told me so I didn't waste my time.

16. Rebel1

Rebel1 Connoisseur

Jan 25, 2010

Sorry RA312. I hope something else comes up soon.
    Good luck,
    Rebel1

17. webmistress

webmistress Devotee

Jan 26, 2010

well, I won't even apply to pre school positions anymore unless they specifically say k-6 certification is ok. I have never gotten an interview. I think it's because I have no ece experience. They are big on that in my area.