pre school dicipline

Discussion in 'Behavior Management Archives' started by newmanfan12, Jun 17, 2005.

1. newmanfan12

newmanfan12 Rookie

Jun 17, 2005

:confused: I just became the 4 year old teacher at our daycare. The 3's, 4's and about 12 school age kids are together in a room. It can get very noisy and confusing. Any suggestions? :eek:

3. Mamacita

Mamacita Aficionado

Jun 17, 2005

Why are school-age kids in the same room as little 3's and 4's? That is not fair to either age group!

4. cmxgc1234

cmxgc1234 New Member

Jun 17, 2005

qiut time

put in to groups there ages and little one you can get the m quite by bubbles and thell them that is quite time then the older should know quite fingers

5. newmanfan12

newmanfan12 Rookie

Jun 19, 2005

In our daycare we have a 1 year old room, 2 year old room and the as I said the rest are in the same room. During our 45 minutes of class time my the 3's and half of the school kids are outside. My 4's and the other half of the school kids are inside doing class work. (the school kids do word search's, memory games) then we switch and we go out and the 3's come in. We are then together the rest of the day.

6. Margo

Margo Devotee

Jun 19, 2005

I reiterate Jane's question of why there are school aged kids in with 3's and 4's? Why are they not elsewhere?

7. TeachWildThings

TeachWildThings Comrade

Jun 20, 2005

I'm guessing a space issue? How old are the school age kids? Is there some way to set up a buddy system with the younger ones, wheretheolder ones are responsible "models" & they can do some shared activities?

8. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Jun 20, 2005

It would make more sense to have the one year olds together with the 2's, put the 3's and 4's together, and let the older kids have their own room. It can always just be for the summer months and then switch it back to the way it is now when the older kids are gone. Maybe you can suggest that to the director?

I can understand space issues, but that is just highly non-developmentally appropriate. I ran a preschool program at a center for about a year and when the school agers were there, I somehow ended up with them along with my 3-5 year olds I already had. It was a nightmare and not appropriate practice at all. The difference between a 3 year old level and a school ager that is 10 years old (for example) is soooooooooooo different it is impossible to engage all those children at the same time. A school age summer program should consist of lots of field trips, games, lots of large muscle action, and fun fun fun (not saying the 3-4's shouldn't have fun, but "different" fun). Once in awhile it is nice to have an older helper in the room, but that's when it's only one or two who would like to help. School age kids don't want to be stuck watching little ones all day, not that you didn't have a good idea, TeachWildThings. I don't mean it to sound like that.

I would suggest some moving around for the summer if that's possible. If that's not an option, then follow some of the suggestions above. Sometimes you just have to deal with the circumstances you are given I guess.

9. TeachWildThings

TeachWildThings Comrade

Jun 20, 2005

No worries, it is an impossible situation! I like your ideas, that makes more sense; hopefully it can be worked out for the sake of the kids & sanity of the teacher! :eek:

newmanfan12, how much support/aides do you have? Perhaps you can have them help set up alternative groups as JenPooh suggested, esspecially since you are already doing inside/outside activities. The kids I work with are 3-5 in one setting (also spe ed) & it does work.

10. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Jun 20, 2005

Yes, even if they are in the same "room" per say, there shouldn't be a mix of the school aged kids and younger ones together. Instead, there should be a 3-4 year old group, and a school age group, not two mixed groups. Even if it is a space issue and my first suggestion isn't an option, the director should see about hiring someone (if you don't have someone already) about overseeing just the school age kids. A room can be shared somewhat as long as each teacher is responsible for his/her own age group. That would make it much easier and less stressful. At my last daycare I always hired someone just for the summer to oversee that age. I usually found a great college student who needed the experience to graduate or something. My concern is what the school age kids do all day. Do they get to go on field trips on a regular basis? I would think that it would be a crucial part of a "day camp" experience. I know you are not at a day camp, per say, but it's a lot more fun for the kids to not think of it as "daycare" or "school". The last thing they want to do is feel like they're back at school for the summer.

11. newmanfan12

newmanfan12 Rookie

Jun 21, 2005

All of your ideas sound great. I'm just a teacher, not the owner, or director. The school age kids range from 5 to 10 years of age. I keep hinting that maybe the director can be in charge of the school kids for the summer. (The director just gave up the 4 year olds) Plus we have a new teacher for the 3 year olds. (Just out of highschool with CDA) So I have to learn how to work together with her. I guess It's just summer and I'm looking forward to vacation. I do appricate your help! I will make these suggestions to the owner. Thanks for letting me vent! @-->---

12. cmxgc1234

cmxgc1234 New Member

Jun 21, 2005

No problem You can aslo try turning out the lights and turnon a flashlight let everyone know that when the flashlight goes out so does the noise of course you turn it off right away

13. newmanfan12

newmanfan12 Rookie

Jun 22, 2005

We do flash the lights but I like the flashlight idea! Thank you!

14. roselover772

roselover772 Rookie

Jul 23, 2005

I can't believe that your center would allow such a large disparity of ages in the same location at the same time. I am also in FL and I thought there was a DCF guideline that stated they could not be together for safety reasons. I could be wrong but it seems very strange. What city are you in ?

15. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Jul 23, 2005

We have a rule that states when there is a mixed age such as this, you can only have up to so many kids per room. If there is even one toddler (one year old) in the mix, you can't have more than 8 in the room total. Do you have a rule like this? Maybe this is the reasoning behind the wacky decision.

16. newmanfan12

newmanfan12 Rookie

Jul 24, 2005

I'm in Springhill. I was told by the director that I can have 20 4's and older at a time. The 3's can have 15. On Aug. 8 I will be starting the VPK program and the older school kids will be back to school. I guess I can handle it for 1 more week (I go on vacation 8/1-8/8) I am hoping that they decide to give me my own room. Now I am in "the big room" where every class has to walk through when they go on the playground, also where everyone who enters the school has to come in. It's very disturbing. Thank you for you help and support! :)

17. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Jul 25, 2005

20 4's!?!? Oh my, our 4's ratio is 13! 3's are 10. I have heard that Florida has higher ratios than most, I guess it is true hey? Sounds like you have an all around disturbing classroom. I hope for your sanity that it's at least a nice place to work for regardless of space and ratio issues.

18. roselover772

roselover772 Rookie

Jul 26, 2005

JenPooh
    I just read your post and the gal in Springhill who has 20 4 yr olds in her class is out of compliance. The director needs to get another person in the class to assist.

19. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Jul 26, 2005

This center obviously has some issues they need to consider and fix :eek: .

20. newmanfan12

newmanfan12 Rookie

Jul 26, 2005

:eek: I'm only going by the directors instructions. Even when I talked to Child Developement the ratios seem to be high. CDS comes in once a month and counts up the kids. So they are in agreement. Anyway, summer is almost over and the school kids go back 8/8/05. :) Thank you for all your help and listening to me rant. :angel: It does help.

21. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Jul 27, 2005

Wait wait wait...if I'm not mistaken...ratios go by a point system. Our infant ratios are 4/1, but if I have 3 infants and 3 school agers, I am still in ratio. Is this what you mean? So, you can't have 20 4 year olds alone, but you can have maybe 10 4 year olds and 10 school age children mixed together to still remain in ratio. So you're not talking about 20 4 year olds, you're talking about your mixed age group being in compliance. That would make more sense.

It still seems high though, how do you stay sane? I feel for you!

22. newmanfan12

newmanfan12 Rookie

Jul 27, 2005

I mean that I can have 20 4 year olds at one time by meself. Our ratios are: 1year old room 6 to 1 teacher, 2 year old room 11 to 1 teacher, 3 year old room 15 to 1 teacher, 4 year old room is 20 to 1 teacher. The school kids get put in with either the 3 or 4 year olds to make us 20 apiece. Today though between the 3 & 4 year old room we had 44 kids. Our director lends a hand when she HAS to. Sane???? I don't know what that is. Except that when a child looks at me and tells me I'm pretty, :confused: or tells me they love me....my day goes alot better. :D

23. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Jul 27, 2005

Someone in Florida has their information wrong then. Roselover, where did you get your ratios from? Newman, have you seen the ratios in the state handbook? Someone has their ratios wrong and since I'm not in Florida, I can't tell you which one of you is right. Do we have a middle man in Florida anywhere that can tell us which ratio is correct?

24. roselover772

roselover772 Rookie

Jul 28, 2005

Ok JenPooh, here it is right from the State of Florida licensing web site:
    In Center-Based Care the staff-to-child ratios are1:4 for birth-12 months; 1:6 for 1- to 2-year-olds; 1:11 for 2- to 3-year-olds; 1:15 for 3- to 4-year-olds(State Licensing Regulations)In Family Child Care the staff-to-child ratios are1:10 (with no more than 5 pre-school age children, and of these, no more than 2 children under 1 year) OR 1:6 (preschool-age children only with none under 1 year) OR 1:6 (with no more than 3 children under 1 year) OR 1:4 (if all children are under 1 year)(State Licensing Regulations)In Group Family Child Care the staff-to-child ratios are2:8 (if all children are birth to 24 months) OR2:12 (with no more than 4 children under 24 months)(State Licensing Regulations) ***confusing huh??***
    I work at Head Start so we have 1 teacher for 10 children no matter what age.

25. roselover772

roselover772 Rookie

Jul 28, 2005

The low ratio is one of the reasons I choose to work here...it is a very good program.

26. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Jul 28, 2005

I'm use to running/managing both group and family childcare centers so it's not that confussing to me. I'm use to translating the licensing manuals.

Newmanfan, I would grab a hold of a state licensing book and show it to your director asap. Either she's trying to pull a fast one on you, or she's just clueless (sad to say, there are a lot of clueless directors out there).

27. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Aug 8, 2005

Wow... hearing 1:20 makes my heart stop!

We have the following ratios in New Brunswick, Canada:

1:3 - 8-24 months
    1:5 - 2 years
    1:7 - 3 years
    1:10 - 4 years
    1:13(?) - 5 years
    1:15 - 6 and up

I'm not sure on the five year-old ratio... but it's obviously somewhere between 1:10 and 1:15. I can't imagine 20 four year olds... wow.

28. newmanfan12

newmanfan12 Rookie

Aug 9, 2005

Now that our school year has started, I have the universal voluntary pre kindergarten class I can have 10 to 1. My owner has been helping me out because I have 18 in the morning and as of right now I think that I will have 8 in my pm class. Some of my morning kids are "wrap around" they are at the daycare all day. We all knew that VPK was coming but we weren't sure how or what was to be expected. (last week I only had 5 kids for the am class) I do know that between Aug and May my kids need to have 540 hours. I only get 3 hours in the morning and 3 in the afternoon. If a child misses a day because of illness I need to set up make up classes.And I'm hoping that they WON'T be Saturday classes.