Pre-S Classroom pics? Anyone care to share?

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by SpecialPreskoo, Aug 6, 2009.

1. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Aug 6, 2009

I'm trying to figure out how to make my room cozier. I would love to see how your rooms look.

http://bcmnc.blount.k12.al.us/rise class tour.htm
    That was how my room looked last year. I haven't taken pictures yet of how it looks this year, but it looks sort of the same, just a little different placement of tables and such. The room still looks... hmm... what is the word I'm looking for... blah? sterile? I don't know, but COZY is not it.

3. lnm130

lnm130 Companion

Aug 6, 2009

Hmmm, I don't have any pictures of my room yet, but how about a rug? Some bright pillows on your couch? They can be easily made even if you can't sew by using no-sew binding. I think that a rug would do a lot for the room, as the floor is so white and the walls are so pale.

4. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Aug 6, 2009

Yeah, I've thought about a rug. I'd love to have one with the designated spots for the kids to sit on.

I need a cover over that couch. It is looking old and rough.

5. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Aug 6, 2009

Oh, I'd thought about a couple of small couches (kid size) for the reading area and listening area. I think they are neat.

6. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Aug 7, 2009

I like this rug. I like the 1/4 circle design, the shapes on it. $329.00 Lakeshore learning
    [​IMG]

These two are from Environments.
    And I kinda like this one. I like the semi-circle part of it. $341.90
    [​IMG]

And I like this one. If you have a kid that needs a little more wiggle room, put them on a rectangle. $294.45
    [​IMG]

Price wise, I'll probably end up with the rectangle one with all the shapes.

7. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Aug 7, 2009

Rugs would certainly help. How about more real things? Like plants, an aquarium. Or soft containers, like wicker baskets. Or more textures and colors. I like your room, the centers are clearly defined. All I would do is tweek a few things to make it softer. To get ideas, I would look at any other classrooms I could find.

8. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Aug 7, 2009

I agree that a rug would help things. You could also go to a carpet store and ask them if they have an remnants you can buy for really inexpensively. I know I got a nice berber remnant once for less than $50.

How about some nice pictures on the walls too? That might make a difference.

9. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Aug 7, 2009

Oh, plants, baskets, blankets, scarves, fish tanks........my room is tiny but those things are very popular inside the small space. Do you have a table they could cover with blankets or something for an alone space if they needed to?

10. KarenPreK

KarenPreK Companion

Aug 7, 2009

Here are my classroom pics: http://prekinders.com/classroomtour.htm

I would recommend adding natural baskets, plants, curtains, rug, artificial flowers. A really helpful book on classroom environment is "Designs for Living & Learning".

11. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Aug 7, 2009

I wish I still had my fake ficus tree!! I know a perfect place for it but it sat here in my house for the longest in the way. I sold it last year in a yard sale. :( I do have a fish bowl that I'm going to set up some where. I can bum from fish from the secretary's tank. She has guppies that multiply like rabbits... lol. I'll have to keep an eye out. I might put a sign up at school for the others to see in case they have stuff at home they don't need anymore.

12. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Aug 7, 2009

Karen, I like your room!! I love all of the pics! Nice!!

13. PrekCAteacher

PrekCAteacher Rookie

Aug 7, 2009

I just finished my classroom today, and I will try to get the pic up over the next week.

14. Alesia

Alesia Companion

Aug 7, 2009

You could get baskets from the thrift store and a neutral colored rug from most dollar stores.

15. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Aug 7, 2009

There are plain (but not necessarily brown----many are blue) rugs at Wal-Marts and the like right now. They are in the "dorm" section. I get mine for about 15-20 dollars, they are a 10x12 or so rug. Anyway using those to define some areas (which you have done well) would give you softness, texture and noise muffling.