Pre-reading for The Outsiders

Discussion in 'Secondary Education Archives' started by Mrs. R., Nov 5, 2006.

1. Mrs. R.

Mrs. R. Connoisseur

Nov 5, 2006

Hello. All!
    I'm planning my lessons for The Outsiders with my 7th graders. I want to take a different tack this year with my prereading, providing some schema along with incorporating lessons on questioning. Do any of you have ideas for picture books or short stories appropriate for seventh graders centered around the theme of family (traditional or not)? Another theme on which I want to provide schema is the early 1960s.

Any ideas you might have would be great. I thought about showing them West Side Story, but I don't have the time. I still might use excerpts, though.

Thanks in advance!

3. agsrule!

agsrule! Companion

Nov 6, 2006

Patricia Polacco has good books that deal with lots of family types. Gary Soto's short story Broken Chain is about 2 brothers and their differences.

As for the 1960's theme, it may be useful to obtain an old high school yearbook from that era (I know Half Price Books often sells old yearbooks). Or, get images from the internet and put together a powerpoint presentation. I think clips from West Side Story would be good.

Now you've got me thinking for next year! We've already read the Outsiders this year. We are starting The Giver later this week.

4. BibliotecaLady

BibliotecaLady Rookie

Nov 11, 2006

When I assigned projects for The Outsiders, one of them was a graffiti wall. The kids designed their wall based on the 60's. They had to research movies, history, songs, etc. A picture had to be included with a short typed blurb underneath as an explanantion. They also designed a logo for the Socs and the Greasers.As part of the project, they worte their own names on the wall.

5. smarkham01

smarkham01 Companion

Nov 15, 2006

At 151 minutes Westside Story does take a lot of time, but it is firmly rooted in the '50s, not the '60's! If you're looking for the "gang" relationship, perhaps Asphalt Jungle? It's more manageable at 112 minutes, but not quite the same presentation as WSS.

If it's the '60s you really want, try Alice's Restuarant. 111 minutes of alternate family styles and unpopular ideas. Besides, it's close to Thanksgiving and I always try to plug Alice's at Thanksgiving.