pre-made lessons for sub...

Discussion in 'Fifth Grade' started by HufflePuff, Sep 7, 2008.

1. HufflePuff

HufflePuff Cohort

Sep 7, 2008

i am a new teacher and on top of the millions of other things i have to do...i have to create a sub folder that has premade plans. i was supposedly supposed to have it done on friday, but haven't done it. this is totally not a top priority for me...so does any1 have any ideas where i can find some basic lessons i can print out to keep in my folder for all subject areas besides science? thanks!

3. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Sep 7, 2008

I don't know of any online that are preset the way you want them, but if you look at Edhelper, Scholastic, A to Z, and Crayola.com you should find many lessons that you can tweak for your needs. If you were to just print them out for now and perfect them later that might be an option as well. The Mailbox magazines always have great ideas as well. Do you or your school subscribe to this mag?

4. kalper07

kalper07 Rookie

Sep 7, 2008

If you have basil readers or textbooks, you can choose certain selections and have the kids read them and answer the questions. This is not the way that I like to teach, but when I suffered from migraines last year, these kids of assignments came in handy.

5. michelleann27

michelleann27 Cohort

Sep 7, 2008

I made a 5 day emergency lesson plan and we had to it was declared by the P. I just took stuff from the textbook and listed it, the rules, the classroom rosters, and lunch times, etc.

6. buck8teacher

buck8teacher Devotee

Sep 7, 2008

I bought three days worth of sub activities from Teacher's Clubhouse, they are all centered around a different book (Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs is the one that comes to mind), and work great in case of emergencies. I believe they have them for 5th grade. The money was well worth it, as I didn't have to make up the activities myself, and they are actually pretty hands on and engaging! :) I've had to use them before and the kids love them.... :)
    http://www.teachersclubhouse.com/emergencysubactivities.htm#5th_grade_sub_activities

I would also put detailed descriptions of attendance, discipline, and lunch count type procedures so the sub knows what to do for those housekeeping jobs.

7. scooter503

scooter503 Comrade

Sep 7, 2008

I don't have sub plans together yet (but have 6 years of subbing experience). I'm gonna have to get on that, cause I take my 5th graders on a field trip on the 26th, so will have a sub for my 6th graders. My 5/6 class this year is really into Mad Libs, so I would suggest leaving those as a language activity. Also, I know a lot of teachers leave Time for Kids or Weekly Reader as a Reading or Social Studies activity. Also, I have given my kids a few ABC challenge activities that they've done well on....find a country, river, lake, city, etc. for every letter of the alphabet as a social studies activity. It really makes them use the maps/atlases in their book.

That's all I have so far. Hope it helps.

8. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Sep 9, 2008

Wow! I have never seen these! I may have to purchase them for myself.

9. tbed63

tbed63 Rookie

Sep 10, 2008

This is easier said than done, but I train my students to run the classroom. If I'm out, the sub is basically just there as a formality because the kids know the routine. I have one student each week who facilitates all lessons, so if I'm not there, it makes no difference...he/she just carries on as usual. Try to make your class run without you when you are at school so that when you aren't, nothing falls apart. Though this may not satisfy the requirement placed upon you by your administration, I believe it's what really makes the difference when you must be out for a day.
    Student-run classrooms are very amazing to see and great for the kids!
    Tim

10. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Sep 10, 2008

Uhm ya I'm guilty too and I might not get to it until this weekend. :D Good thing I don't plan on being out sick any time soon :p