Pre-K teachers, can we share organization tips?

Discussion in 'Early Childhood Education Archives' started by bijansmom, Aug 1, 2004.

1. bijansmom

bijansmom Companion

Aug 1, 2004

I want to start the year as organized as possible AND keep it that way. Can you share tips -- things you do each year at the begining of the year -- things which make the day go smoothly --

I would appreciate ideas on organizing anything from puzzles, games, sensory table 'stuff' --ANYTHING you can share.

TIA!

3. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Aug 1, 2004

You get an aide that is really organized... lol. ok... organized is my middle name... UN- is my first name. I am the queen of unorganization... Beth keeps me in order... I don't know what i would do without her... well I know what I would do... LOSE EVERYTHING because I would forget where I put it! That and everything would be in big stacks... stack here... stack there... pile here pile there...

I hope someone does put some tips... goodness knows i need some!!

4. bijansmom

bijansmom Companion

Aug 2, 2004

My TA -- whom I adore -- is the Queen of Disorganization. She piles and piles stuff everywhere. We BOTH need help.

The day get so busy that at clean up time, we rush around and place things willy nilly.

5. Brenda S.

Brenda S. Comrade

Aug 2, 2004

I am getting another filing cabinet this year. I am going to file things by the month that I use them. When I pull the month of August, all of my materials, ideas, even bulletin board stuff will be in that section.

I am an organizer at school. My house is a mess. I guess I have control over my classroom, so I keep it clean. I make the kids clean the room. All trash must be off the floor and I make the kids keep their desks clean. The toys, centers, and books have to be put away neatly by the kids.

Brenda

6. beckyeduk8er

beckyeduk8er Comrade

Aug 2, 2004

HI,

One thing that helped me was to get rid of my desk becuase I never sat there...just piled stuff on it! I am not a very organize person (drives my aid nuts) so it is an uphill battle for me. One thing that I did though was buy one of those drawer things with 7 draws (3 small, 4 large) to keep things in. If it didn't fit in the drawers I took care of it before I went home. As for games, I am fortuate to have a large closet in my room so one shelf is for games, another for puzzles, etc. I only put out two or three games at a time in the center to make sure they are taken care of the same with puzzles in the puzzle center. On Fridays it is HouseKeeping Afternoon and each table/pair is assigned a center/area to clean. It is their responsibilty to dust, whipe down the shelf, sort, ect. what ever is need to make sure the center is cleaned up properly. If thier center passes inspection (and they all do before the end of the day) They choose one thing to put back in the closet and another to come out. Teachers are the only ones alloud in the closet. Another thing that has helped us is to make sure the class is responsible for as much as possible. I hope this makes sense.
    Becky

7. Seich30

Seich30 Comrade

Aug 4, 2004

I have a computer table, but no desk. I have a shoe holder hanging inside my front closet with all my supplies like markers, pens, stapler, etc. I can see where everything is at a glance. I have found that binders work better for me than files. I have a 1/2" binder for each letter of the alphabet--the activities are divided in 2 sections (year one and year 2)--that way if a child is in my room for 2 years they won't be doing the same activities. I also have larger binders for math activities, seasonal stuff, and units. I love it because I don't have to search through resource books anymore--the page is copied and put into the binder. I also keep patterns and extra pieces in the page protectors. I can do a months lesson plans in about 30 minutes.

Everything has a place on open shelves for the kids--like games, art center, etc. I gave up the battle with housekeeping though--if it is behind the closed door-I don't care where it is-as long as can't see it. :)

8. Teener

Teener Companion

Aug 4, 2004

LOL!!! I am the same way! My home is a mess of stacks and piles of stuff, but when it comes to school, I am very picky about how things are put away!