Pre-K Teacher Dress Code

Discussion in 'New Teachers' started by luvteaching25, Jul 27, 2007.

1. luvteaching25

luvteaching25 Rookie

Jul 27, 2007

Hi everyone,

I know this might be a stupid question, but I was wondering if anyone can give me tips on dress code.

I know the obvious--Business casual, but I wanted imput from you guys.

I will be teaching Pre-K so I know I am going to be on the floor a lot, but don't know if capris are appropriate or if wearing tennis shoes everyday is ok. I remember when I was in elementary school, some of my teachers wore jeans, dresses and heals. I am used to wearing a uniform for work and am going to need to buy new clothes.

Any input is welcome.

3. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Jul 27, 2007

I think it is school dependent.

At my school I can get away with tennis shoes though they aren't really allowd except Friday.

I say wash and wear clothes and you may want to think about getting darker colored pants that hide paint etc...

4. MsWK

MsWK Habitué

Jul 27, 2007

At my center, teachers wear anything that is not ripped, revealing, low-cut, or otherwise offensive. So, jeans, capris, and sneakers are the order of the day. We take the kids on lots of long walking trips, and our playground is covered in dusty mulch, so we would probably laugh (politely) at anyone who wore heels to work--and they would probably only do it once! To be honest, most of the time I'm inside the center I'm barefoot, because I'm in and out of the baby rooms all day. My advice is to wear anything you're comfortable in, that you don't mind being covered in bodily fluids. And keep an extra set of clothes at work! You never know when you'll get puked or peed on. :) Gotta love the little ones!

5. carlea

carlea Comrade

Jul 28, 2007

I taught kinder for several years & got paint, glue, & dirty hands all over my clothes - I'd sit on the floor a lot so I wore comfortable clothes that I didn't mind getting dirty. So if it's fine with your school, I say go for the capris and tennis shoes!

One of my kinder co-workers always dressed beautifully & I could never figure out how she stayed clean!

6. katrinkakat

katrinkakat Connoisseur

Jul 30, 2007

Check with your school's dress code policy first. I know that you'll need skirts longer than your knees for circle time, because the kids are right at your lap level. Also, you bend over a lot picking up things and it's awkward with a short skirt. We can wear jeans, but it looks better if you wear nice jeans and a dressy shirt, imo. Capri pants are great and look more professional than shorts. I like long dresses and skirts with casual tops.
    Have fun! pre-k is great!

7. childcare teach

childcare teach Comrade

Jul 31, 2007

we can wear jeans and shorts all long as they are not tight. i can wear sneakers and sandels and in the winter i even can wear slippers in the class room.

8. Azula Fleur

Azula Fleur Rookie

Aug 24, 2007

I suggest the follwing:
    -Jeans
    -Cardiganes
    -Sneakers
    -Sandals
    -Boots
    -Long/knee length skirts
    -Something you wouldn't mind getting messy in
    -Nice tops that you can't see through, or when you bend over

Things not to wear:
    -Leather (You wouldn't want to get dirty in this)
    -Long earrings
    -Big neckalaces

9. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Aug 24, 2007

I wear cords almost every day as soon as the weather is cool enough. I love love love them. And khaki's.

Anything that can be bought inexpensively but still looks nice :)

10. scooby

scooby Rookie

Aug 24, 2007

teacher to be

im studying to be a teacher any tips

11. mstemple05

mstemple05 Cohort

Aug 24, 2007

what's imo?

12. dianafish

dianafish Rookie

Aug 24, 2007

I would also check with your school for the dress code. In my school we have the same policy as an earlier poster. As long as it isnt ripped, low cut or is one of those "attitude" type shirts (which I can not stand) anything is fine. I live in capris or jeans and t-shirts. Skirts are just too uncomfortable on the floor.

13. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Aug 24, 2007

imo - in my opinion.