Pre-K Sight Words?

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by TXMom&Teacher, Sep 17, 2010.

1. TXMom&Teacher

TXMom&Teacher Rookie

Sep 17, 2010

This week I began teaching at a new preschool, I am teaching Pre-K. The Director has asked that I look up Pre-K sight words, teach and hang them on the wall. I am not sure what I have searched for on the internet is accurate. Does anyone here have a Pre-K Sight word list? Thanks for any help.

:)

3. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Sep 17, 2010

Vanna probably disagrees, but I am not a proponent of pushing sight words on preschoolers. I would put up their names at the beginning of the year and see the level and interests of your children before I went further.

4. TeacherApr

TeacherApr Groupie

Sep 18, 2010

sight words...for PRESCHOOL? um, no...sorry. Kindergarten words are: a, an, the and so on. PRESCHOOL should be learning the alphabet and learning how to write their names.

(FYI: minor in early childhood education. Just so you know I'm not talking out of my butt lol)

5. Miller59

Miller59 Companion

Sep 18, 2010

You can search for Fry's or Dolch words. I made up my own list of 10 words to introduce this year. I started with my and am very gently starting to call attention to it at Morning Meeting.

I personally think sight words can have a place, depending on your group, and the important thing is in how you present and teach the word. This year out of my 3 who will go to Kindergarten next year -- I have 1 child reading fairly fluently, 1 who knows some sounds, and 1 who is just barely starting to understand the whole sound letter relationship. Then I have the kids who will be in PreK again next year and they are all over the place with these skills. They can all find the word my in our morning message after 2 weeks.

6. vannapk

vannapk Groupie

Sep 18, 2010

Here is a link the sight word page on my website. I also have a BA in ECE and have taught pre-k for 19 years. Recent research has proven that young children can learn more than was ever previously thought possible. Even NAEYC has raised their standards considerably, you can check them out here.

I started teaching sight words in my pre-k classroom when my students started naturally learning to read on their own because of the best practices they were engaging in daily in the classroom such as morning message and "name wall". I still advocate teaching with children's names to start, that's what is most meaningful to them and therefore the most powerful tool to "hook" them into learning letters.

I agree with Miller, it's all about how you present it and the methods you use to do so. If presented in fun, interactive, and engaging ways young children can learn anything. When people think of sight words they often think of flashcards, skill and drill, and worksheets- which is definitely not the case in my classroom. Using multi-sensory methods that incorporate all the senses, such as Heidisongs, my students can learn many sight words in pre-k through song and dance. They are not required to do so, it just happens naturally. I do not "push" sight words on my students or engage in practices that are not developmentally appropriate. Here is a link to a video of students learning a sight word with Heidisongs.

Using these multi-sensory methods my students can learn all the letters and the corresponding sounds in less than 3 months or even weeks depending on the age group. The natural progression from there is to teach them how to read if they already know all the letters and sounds. If they know all their letters and sounds early in the year they will become bored and start acting out if I don't move on. Giving children the tools they need to be successful empowers them and helps them learn to love school and reading.

7. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Sep 18, 2010

I need to apologize to Vanna because I didn't communicate well earlier. It is obvious from your site, Vanna, that you are a very thoughtful, hard-working teacher who does loads of fun, developmentally appropriate activities. I also agree that children are very capable of learning so much using multi-sensory activities. I have just bought my first Heidi Songs CD and look forward to using it.

I think my point is I keep wondering just because they can learn it....should they at this age? Is this precious time in their lives better spent learning sight words or discovering more about the wonders of the world and themselves in a more experiential, discovery-type environment?

I respect your knowledge and philosophy, but as a more Reggio-inspired teacher, I come from a different direction.

8. vannapk

vannapk Groupie

Sep 18, 2010

no need to apologize :hugs: I've been in public education for the last 19 years where experiential learning and self-discovery are frowned upon :rofl:

9. TeacherApr

TeacherApr Groupie

Sep 18, 2010

Preschool is all about learning how to socialize and to be in a structured environment before they enter Kindergarten. Exposing them to themes such as dinosaurs, farm animals, etc. and books as well as giving them time to do art projects and IF THEY ARE READY to practice writing letters and/or their names.

It is NOT expected for preschoolers to know how to read any words. If it doesn't happen, it's OK.

Not only have I learned these things through my early childhood classes but I also have my BA in Child Development. Yes, their brains can work that way but it DEPENDS on the kid. Kindergartner's brains are ready to put those letters into words. On the norm, preschoolers are not ready.

I just feel not to push it. Weed out those kids who MIGHT be ready and talk to their parents to find out who is interested and take that groups of kids and do more academics.

Just because China has kids that are 10 steps ahead of us in education doesn't mean they are on the right path. There are a lot of suicides over in Asia because of all the pressures that are being put onto kids over there when it comes to education. AND they are PUSHED. I don't agree with that.

Sorry for the tangent :lol:

10. K3 teacher

K3 teacher Companion

Sep 18, 2010

In our pre k classes our students must know 2 sight words to be Prof. at the end of the year. This is usually not a problem for any of my kids - most of the time they know more than 2: is, the, my, mom, dad. They learn these just through the activities we do in the room - morning meeting, games, songs, etc. They are so excited to learn words. My message in the morning has the same structure everyday. Through this they learn The and is within weeks. Sometimes we circle it or spell it with chants/cheers.