Pre-k Questions!

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by Teach'em, Jun 7, 2011.

1. Teach'em

Teach'em Companion

Jun 7, 2011

Okay, I have a few more questions! :)

In 3rd, I used a behavior chart (like the stoplight kind where they move their clips, but they also had the opportunity to move up 2 places and receive good notes/rewards). Does anyone do something similar for pre-k? When I observed in a pre-k class, they didn't have a behavior system and just dealt with the issues as they arose.

Also, do you all send home daily folders? Do you send them once a week or every day? My main purpose would be to hold notes, money, newsletters, calendar, home activities, etc.

That's all for now, but I'm sure I'll have more later!

Thanks!

3. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Jun 7, 2011

In my experience, behavior charts for Pre-K do not work well and it's a lot more extra work for the teacher because you have to do it. Rewards can be helpful as long as you don't rely on them. Pre-K children will do ANYTHING for an m&m or a sticker, but they also become meaningless if you use them too often.
    I generally deal with issues as they happen and find consistency is of utmost importance. It takes a while for them to get used to you and visa versa to find what makes them tick. What works well with my class is "outside time." Children who misbehave over and over again, end up sitting while the others play outside.
    Yes, I do daily folders. I put their art work, etc in them. We also have parent mail spots in the office where I can put a note if needed. I had been doing a weekly newsletter, but our director told us it wasn't necessary so I quit. I write a daily note on the board for the parents to read.
    I'm sure you will develop your own plans as to what works for you.

4. LovetoteachPREK

LovetoteachPREK Companion

Jun 7, 2011

I've never used a behavior management system. I think it is hard for the kids to comprehend at this age. I know other PreK teachers who do. However, I have used little incentives from time to time like:

Writing on the board the names of the kids who are cleaning really well at clean up time.

Rewarding them for coming to circle really quickly by giving them a gummy bear or skittle (I don't do this a lot, but it is a real pleaser!)

Each month, I have a poster about being kind. If I see a kind act, I write it on a diecut and let the kind child put it on the poster.

I do a weekly newsletter - not a narrative, but a list of the week's theme, books, activities and any reminders. My students have daily folders that they put in the basket each morning, and then we put all their work and any notes in it to take home.

5. teacherR

teacherR Companion

Jun 8, 2011

I do not have a behavior system either. I just deal with issues as they come up. I use a lot of positive reinforcement and praise. I try and teach classroom community as often as possible and they seem to be motivated by this. Preschoolers want to please for the most part so if you really lavish them with praise or sing a thank you song with their name in it they will usually learn to cooperate.

6. LovetoteachPREK

LovetoteachPREK Companion

Jun 8, 2011

Oh yes! If I say "Look at how well Johnny is cleaning up the blocks. Thank you, Johnny." Then everyone rushes to pick something up. "Look at me! I'm cleaning up the dolls." Works like a charm!

7. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Jun 8, 2011

Anything abstract does not seem to work in PS. A PS teacher is very busy, so I would not develop anything to take up my time.

8. Teach'em

Teach'em Companion

Jun 8, 2011

Thanks, everyone! "No" to behavior chart and "Yes" to daily folders it is! :thumb:

9. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Jun 8, 2011

Sounds good! You will love it!

10. TeacherGrl7

TeacherGrl7 Devotee

Jun 9, 2011

I agree with everyone else. There are SO many things that you have to do in a day, because the kids aren't capable of it yet. The less work I make for myself, the better! I use verbal praise and a lot of discussion about appropriate and inappropriate behaviors. When a child does something wrong we discuss what they did, why they did it, why it was wrong, what they should do next time, and who they need to apologize to if necessary. It seems like a time consuming process, but it only takes a few seconds and when I do it consistently it removes TONS of behavioral issues. My favorite thing is to hear the kids using my language to tell someone else what they are doing wrong.

I also use little rewards like smelly smackers (a dab of smelly lip gloss on the back of their hands- I stole it from someone else on this site, and they LOVE it!!), high fives, notes home, etc. Another thing that I use all the time and love is our school-wide character ed chain. Every teacher has a folder with strips of construction paper in it, and when we catch a child doing something good we write it down and put it in a slot on the folder. Our fifth grade peer leaders collect the strips on Fridays and staple them into a chain that goes up and down the hallways. My kids LOVE knowing they are getting a strip in the chain!

I also use BEE books as my home-school connection. I modified the books from this site:

http://www.pre-kpages.com/bearbook/

I love it, the parents love it, and it's EASY. My kids come in every day and put their books in a cart that I got with bonus points from Scholastic (https://clubs2.scholastic.com/webap...ogon#OrderDetail_O_1_33151_33152_197362_40014). They used to put them in a big crate, but when I saw this I couldn't resist.

11. Teach'em

Teach'em Companion

Jun 9, 2011

OMG! I LOVE the smelly lip gloss idea! That's genius! I'm going to stock up on fun flavors! I might get the ones that connect to a key chain so I can put it on my lanyard...instant reward! :)

12. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Jun 9, 2011

Smelling lipstick. What a great way to teach sensory. It is hard to teach the concept of smell. You have created a whole new concept for me.

13. TeacherGrl7

TeacherGrl7 Devotee

Jun 14, 2011

Thanks, Teach'em and Blue. I only wish I could take credit for it. I can't remember which member gave me the idea, but whoever it is, I owe you big time!

14. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Jun 14, 2011

Ha, I remember the big discussion on Smellies.....I still don't have any! Where were we thinking to get them? Was it just scented lip smacker stuff? Remind me.......I forget.

15. TeacherGrl7

TeacherGrl7 Devotee

Jun 16, 2011

I use the Lip Smackers ones that I used to love as a kid. You can get them at drugstores, Target, WalMart, even the supermarket. They are cheap because you only have to buy a few and they last forever. I spent 5 bucks on 10 Jell-O scented Lip Smackers in September and they are all more than half full still- and I use them all the time! The kids are always excited by them, and having many different smells really keeps them interested- they LOVE LOVE LOVE when you surprise them with a new smell! Just be sure to get the classic chapstick type ones so you can dab and it doesn't make a mess.

http://www.lipsmacker.com/index.php

16. TeachGA

TeachGA Rookie

Jun 16, 2011

Is there any way you can post a pic of the cart? When I click on the link it just takes me to a sign-in page on the Scholastic website...

17. mkate

mkate Comrade

Jun 17, 2011

Ooh, I'm stealing the smelly lip gloss idea, too! Looking at that website brought back memories of BonneBell LipSmackers from my youth (though we didn't seem to have quite so many flavors back then!)