Pre-k Graduations

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by ksmomy, Jun 29, 2013.

1. ksmomy

ksmomy Companion

Jun 29, 2013

Does anyone else have formal graduation ceremonies for your pre-k students? We recently had ours and it was a disaster. The children talked all the way through it and they were very silly singing the songs. We have done these for several years and they normally go okay but this one was horrible. It makes me feel bad as a teacher but, it is my opinion that this type of program isn't developmentally appropriate. The owner of the school does it for the benefit of the parents. The children are expected to sit quietly in caps and gowns holding fake diplomas. They obviously start hitting each other with the diplomas and yell that their hats are falling off because they don't fit well. It just left my co-teacher and I with a bad feeling about the whole thing. How do you guys feel about this type of program?

3. Preschool0929

Preschool0929 Cohort

Jun 29, 2013

I taught at one school that did a pre-k graduation. We did "class of..." t-shirts instead of caps and gowns and gave them a diploma on stage but then had a teacher collect them before they sat back down so that they weren't holding them when sitting. Of course it always turned a little silly, but parents always liked it. The school I work for now doesn't agree with preschool grad ceremonies, so we aren't allowed to do them. Some parents get a little upset, but we always assure them
    that they will have a kindergarten graduation, and we still send diplomas home. I would suggest you talk about this years issues with your director and try to make it better for next year. Keep it short. Diplomas, 1 group song, and you're done.

4. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Jun 30, 2013

I also believe that PS graduations are not DAP. I have been forced to have them, as well as Christmas Programs. I have written my own agenda, and made them as DAP as possible.

5. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Jun 30, 2013

I don't think they are appropriate, but am required to do them. Nearly all of my programs have been excellent. I'm not bragging, please believe me!
    What works for me is to tell the kids if they behave and do a nice job, we will have an ice cream party the next day. I drill it into them that they do not want their parents and grandparents see them being naughty. If they are 'naughty," they will be in BIG trouble with me and I give them the "LOOK." They know I mean it and that I will follow through.
    This year was especially good. We sang songs from Hap Palmer and the kids just loved the songs. They were silly songs that they could act out to, so their need to be silly was fulfilled!
    We usually do about 5 songs and they recite their "daily" poem that they were used to saying through the year. This years poem was, "May the sun shine upon you, all love surround you, and the sweet light within you guide your way."
    Next years poem will be, "Peace be to you, peace to your friends and family. May all the world be blessed with peace."
    The parents just ooohhhed and ahhhed!
    I would like to add that, if a child acts up during the program, I remove them from the group if necessary or I go up to them and tell them to straighten up. The good thing about it is that parents get to see how naughty their child really is at daycare and what I put up with everyday!

6. ksmomy

ksmomy Companion

Jun 30, 2013

Thank you so much for your replies. Trust me Grammy Teacher, we talked and talked about behavior and how parents would be watching. We did movement songs so they had plenty of opportunity to move. The problem is that the ones who misbehaved don't really care what their parents think. Also, this was the first year we had to combine our program with two other classes so there were around 45 kids on the stage. Normally everything works out fine. This was my 6th time I've done graduation in this particular program and it was the absolute worst. And we are allowed to go speak with a child (and we did A LOT) but not remove them from the program. It would probably help if we had more power over consequences. This was the first time we did it at this particular venue. We had to gather everyone in the dance studio of the high school which is wide open and encouraged running. Only two of us were in there to help all of them get into caps and gowns because the whole thing was so disorganized and a couple of teachers were late arriving. I think this probably helped get them really excited before even going out on stage. I'm just praying that the powers that be will see that some changes will need to be made for next year to help things go more smoothly.

7. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Jun 30, 2013

Grammy teacher. Good for you!!! I hate to work under "You have to do this" situations. I am rebel enough to do it my way, and it sounds like you do as well.

8. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Jun 30, 2013

Last year I had little support or encouragement and I was upset. So, I told the directors if they want this program, they need to support it or I won't do it anymore.

9. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Jul 1, 2013

Good for you Gram. I vote for a celebration with ice cream.

10. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Jul 1, 2013

I must admit to being pressured into doing a Pre-K graduation, but have turned it into a more relaxed event. We have a family potluck, then sing a few songs the kids have voted as their favorite that year (adults join the singing), then do a short presentation. We do it outside on the grass so it is less intimidating and if a child wants to sit on their parent's lap, or not participate at all, that is okay. Parents bring the food, make the hats and decorations, set up and clean up afterwards. In the end, I decided the pleasure it brings parents and grandparents outweighs the DAP issue because we make it a family event rather than a production.

11. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Jul 1, 2013

I love family events, and you are right ....having it outside with parents making the hats and doing the leg work makes the day less stressful. In general I don't like the graduations of lil folk....but I do think there are ways to live through a "have to situation". This parent day is a great combo. Nice job!

12. ksmomy

ksmomy Companion

Jul 1, 2013

I love the family potluck idea! It sounds much more fun and relaxed. I would love to do an informal celebration. Unfortunately, we have absolutely no part in planning the whole thing other than picking the songs we want to sing. I'm hoping the owner will begin to relax a little bit on issues such as this. She does not have a background or experience in early childhood so this is what we have for now.

13. mandamouse123

mandamouse123 Rookie

Jul 1, 2013

I'm HOPING for a cookie bar (each family bring in some sort of cookie), a sing-a-long, with kids sitting with their families, hand out certificates, and a free for all on the playground.

Ours isn't until August, so we will have to wait and see if that's what happens, or if a graduation ceremony is going to be forced on me.

14. wyvern

wyvern Companion

Jul 15, 2013

This is the first year in decades that I decided not to. They are so much work, and so hard on kids. The very fact that it is so hard should tip us off that it's innappropriate. A lot kids become very upset for a variety of reasons. I decided to just do a family day and food and that was it! Much better.

15. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Jul 15, 2013

My nephew is in Pre-k and I don't think they had a ceremony. I think caps and gowns are just going way overboard. No wonder the kids did not behave. The t-shirt idea and maybe a certificate to give out that could take maybe 10 minutes then have a little get together with the parents.