Pre-k computer time

Discussion in 'Early Childhood Education Archives' started by Angela2006, Aug 16, 2006.

1. Angela2006

Angela2006 Rookie

Aug 16, 2006

Hello All I teach pre-k 4-5 year olds in a public school. The school just recieved new computers and they would like if I took the pre-k to the computer lab 30 minutes a week. Any suggestions on games, CD's or what I should do with 15 kids on computers. Help Please!!

3. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Aug 16, 2006

30 minute for 15 kids? Well, there are a lot of great educational games for the computer. You will have to rotate kids I guess so everyone gets a turn, but some will be waiting for weeks! Boy I hope someone else has a better idea for you. That's not much time at all.

4. imashortcake

imashortcake Rookie

Aug 17, 2006

Will each child have a computer to use or will you need to rotate kids on just a few computers?

Some great games are the Jumpstart series. They have ones that are by age starting with toddler and then each year up to I think 6th grade.

We have computers for our 3 and 4 year olds at our preschool. They love the Dora games, Blue's Clues and Clifford. All of these the kids just think that they are playing a game, but it is all teaching them different things.

5. PB&J

PB&J Rookie

Aug 17, 2006

besides games, you can have them practice typing their names

write a sentence on a sentence strip and have them practice letters, spaces, periods.

use paint to make pictures

6. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Aug 17, 2006

I personally would recommend JumpStart (Pre-k and K for those kiddos who are advanced) and the Reader Rabbit series as well.

7. Angela2006

Angela2006 Rookie

Aug 17, 2006

Thank you for the help. And yes every child will have theri own computer for 30 minutes each week.

8. ksmomy

ksmomy Companion

Aug 18, 2006

We use Bailey's Bookhouse, Sammy Science, and Millie's Math house. They are by Edmark. I have used them with 3's and 4's. They love them.

9. mrs.oz

mrs.oz Companion

Aug 18, 2006

Our class has a set time that we go to computer lab. We have a technology person that comes once a week to work with the kids. Visit our school website that will give you some lab links. Go to www.scsb.org and then click on school web pages. Click on Atkins Elementary and then Lab Links.

10. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Aug 19, 2006

I second the Millie's/Bailey's/Sammy's our kids love those. We have a touch screen but they don't always use that. Our mouse is broken at the moment and they have had to rely on the touch screen. Some of them have stopped using the computer all together.... they say one is "on the way."

11. tm91784

tm91784 Comrade

Aug 19, 2006

reader rabbit is great. also, there are sesame street letters and numbers games that are good too.

12. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Aug 19, 2006

13. MorahMe

MorahMe Habitué

Aug 20, 2006

The school I was in last year had Dr. Suess's ABC's on their Pre-K computers, and it was great! The students loved them, and you get a lot more words for each letter that Dr. Suess doesn't have in the book when you click on the pictures. We would turn it on to the letter of the week, and the students would click away...