Pre-K Behavior Management Question

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by flowerpower31, Aug 20, 2011.

1. flowerpower31

flowerpower31 Comrade

Aug 20, 2011

I've been scrolling back through some of the pages and it seems that everyone thinks the best solution for behavior issues is prevention, distraction, and positive reinforcement.

I'm wondering what your opinion is on something like this for 4 year olds: Have an incentive sticker chart. When they're caught doing something good (such as listening well during a lesson, playing nicely, etc.), they get a sticker on their charts. When a student's chart is full, he/she gets a prize from a prize box. I feel like Pre-K might be too young to do the flip-your-card-to-another-color-and-get-a-consequence thing, so I'm wondering if this method would work more.

3. teach24iam

teach24iam Comrade

Aug 20, 2011

Your philosophy of positive re-enforcement (stickers for doing the "right" things) is a very good one. However, I would be careful about publicly posting sticker reward charts where parents can see it. I have seen many an issue with parents wanting to know why their child has less or none, etc.... We had a pre-k teacher this past year to do something similar but kept it on the back of her closet door so that only the teachers and the kids when they did it, were able to see it. This way it wasn't drawing attention from the parents!!

4. LovetoteachPREK

LovetoteachPREK Companion

Aug 20, 2011

I'm kind of against doing incentive things like prizes and such in prek. I think this age group can be motivated without it.

A couple things I've tried - a class motivation chart that went with the seasons, i.e. a Christmas tree cutout on the wall and an ornament added when someone did something kind (with a description of that kindness and their name,) eggs in a basket for Easter, flowers in a pot for May, etc.

I've also done a sticker on their hand for a great clean-up time or good listening. I always try to motivate the group as a whole.

Plus, I'm a little too lazy for sticker charts and prize boxes.

5. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Aug 20, 2011

In my experience, delayed gratification is something most 4 year olds just don't "get." A kid who makes good choices is going to make them - not because of a future reward. A kid who consistently doesn't make good choices rarely has the maturity to understand if they controlled their actions they would get a reward - later - after they have been good a lot of times. The reason they are having behavior issues is because they don't have the emotional self-control and maturity needed to make a sticker chart effective. Some can - most not. I guess I am old school - I notice and compliment good choices but I rarely reward for expected behaviors. Hope I am making sense.

6. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Aug 21, 2011

I am with scmom and lovetoteachprek. Stickers can be used as a reward, sure, but just stick them directly to the shirt while telling them what exactly you appreciated. "I loved that friend voice you used with Zac." Don't compare and contrast who has how many. They don't get it and what purpose would there be in decreasing someone's ego by explaining it?

When we misbehave we get redirected, sent to a different area more suited for the needs of our body right now, or sent to work (sweeping or something that actually cleans). They don't need to get or not get a tiny toy that will end up on the floor of their car anyway......I don't even think the older kids do either, but that is a different soap box.

7. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

Aug 21, 2011

I do run a delayed gratification sort of program with my Pre-K students, but I don't set it up so that they compare to each other. We have to do something with goals to work toward via our school's PBIS program, and we do a class marble jar. The kid who was doing the appropriate thing gets to put a marble in right away. When it's full, we have a treat of some sort (similar to the treat that the whole school is having for PBIS - a snack picnic, a dance party, extra recess, etc). But because we're working on it as a group, it's cooperative instead of individual or competitive.

8. flowerpower31

flowerpower31 Comrade

Aug 21, 2011

You all have very good points. Perhaps the delayed gratification thing wouldn't work too well. Thanks for the ideas that I can try instead!

I do like the marble jar for the class. I may do something like that in addition!

9. diggerdeb

diggerdeb Comrade

Aug 22, 2011

Dr. jean feldman does "smellies". When a kiddo "does the right thing" swipe a smellie chap stick on the back of the hand.

(Check out her site for more ideas.)
    www.drjean.net