Pre-K 3 days a week?

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by Shiloh17, Mar 1, 2014.

1. Shiloh17

Shiloh17 Companion

Mar 1, 2014

Hi everyone,

I would like to hear your thoughts about a Pre-K program MWF 9-11:30AM. Have any of you done something similar?

Thanks!

Shiloh

3. Rainbowbird

Rainbowbird Groupie

Mar 1, 2014

I haven't taught one, but my children attended a program like that when they were 4. It was fabulous for us. I was a SAHM and I didn't want a full-time program. I was looking for socialization opportunities for my kids and some enrichment so that I didn't have to do it all, LOL.

4. asha

asha Rookie

Mar 1, 2014

I was never a fan of those for few reasons:
    I feel like a child just gets put in for few hours and is pull out while others are continuing on their day. What I do not like about it is that they miss on all of those activities, books, moments and when it is mention to them they do not know what teacher is talking about.
    In every school there is a schedule so that child may miss the afternoon activity like art. That just how I see it.
    I think in my opinion, I would send a child for all day but 2 or 3 times a week. This way they get the whole experience of the day. Hope that helps

5. msaly

msaly Comrade

Mar 1, 2014

I think the poster is referring to a part time program that only runs MWF 9-1130. But I may be wrong.

Assuming you are referring to a part time program: I have taught a MWF class but it was from 9-12. My children were prepared for kindergarten just as the kids in a full day program were. I actually prefer the part time program rather than a full day. It is great for parents who don't need full time care, and the kids really benefit from it. It's a great opportunity for socialization and kindergarten prep. I feel I get more accomplished during the day and the kids do not get tired of being at school. It also relieves the stress of nap time(for the kids and the teacher!!) If you have any specific questions id be happy to answer!

If you are referring to a full day program and only sending your child part time I would agree with the previous poster that it might be hard on the child not continuing on with the day.

6. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Mar 1, 2014

Have taught it for 18 years. (9-12)

LOVE IT!

I get compliments every year from the kinder teachers that my children are very well prepared.

They get to do things that are just as important (probably more important) for kids to do the other times - play, go places with their parents, bond with their families, learn how to entertain themselves, etc., etc., etc.

Is it for everyone? No, but I strongly feel 4 and 5 year olds who have supportive families will thrive and do not need to be in full-time structured school so early in their lives. Being with family is a natural, learning, nurturing, supportive environment.

7. Shiloh17

Shiloh17 Companion

Mar 2, 2014

Thank you rainbowbird & asha!

@msaly You are right. It is a part time program. Thank you so much for the info! I would love to hear more about the program you taught & how you set up the daily schedule. I really appreciate you responding :)

@scmom Wow! Great to hear. Thank you for answering and sharing benefits of this program. I really appreciate it!

8. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Mar 2, 2014

I do a flow of the day rather than an exact schedule, but here is approximately how it goes. If something isn't going well, I skip it or cut it short. If they are super focused on something, we do it longer.

9 free play
    920 circle time
    940 centers
    1040 music and movement
    1055 snack
    1110 sharing
    1120 outside play
    1150 closing circle

9. Shiloh17

Shiloh17 Companion

Mar 2, 2014

@scmom Thank you for sharing. I understand the schedule definitely needs to have some flexibility!

What is sharing?

10. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Mar 2, 2014

Old fashioned show and tell but I tweak it to meet my needs. Once a week they can bring something from home within the parameters I give them. I am trying to promote language experiences and they seem to love it. Sometimes I want to get rid of it but it is powerful to see preschoolers who are willing to get up and talk in front of a group.

11. msaly

msaly Comrade

Mar 3, 2014

My schedule looked like this:

9:00-9:10: welcome activities
    9:10-9:30- circle time
    9:30-10- playground
    10-10:10-bathroom and hand washing
    10:10-10:30:snack
    1030-11:30- free choice centers and small group activities (I pulled students to do art and small group activities during this hour)
    11:30-11:50-music and movement
    11:50-12: story time
    12: dismissal

I taught this program at a church so once a week on Wednesdays we had chapel during music and story time. My schedule is flexible to meet needs of the kids but we followed this schedule the majority of the time.

I currently teach a part time program but it is longer MWF or Tuesday/Thursday from 8-2. I enjoy this schedule as well, but sometimes nap is stressful. The extra time spent at school is really just nap and lunch, there is a little more educational time but not much.
    The schedule I use for that is:
    8-8:10 welcome activities
    8:10-8:30 circle time
    8:30-9:15 playground
    9:15-9:30 bathroom hand washing
    930-1030- free choice centers and small group activities
    1030-11:15- lunch and bathroom
    11:15- 1:00- nap
    1-1:10 wake up bathroom hand washing
    1:10-1:25: snack
    1:30-1:45: playground
    1:50 story/dismissal

Our state where I currently teach requires 1 hour of outdoor play per day. I have to split it up due to other classrooms schedules.

I have also taught in a daycare/full time program and I have noticed that usually the parents are more involved (volunteering, bringing items/staying to help for cooking projects, cutting things out, etc) in the part time program as the majority of them do not work. For example I have a parent sign up to make Playdough every month and bring it in for the class to use. I tried this at the daycare and no one signed up. I am not saying this is the case everywhere, just something I have observed! I also send home "homework" with the kids occasionally, it is more like family projects which encourage the families to spend time and work together. My parents love things like this!

12. mr_post22

mr_post22 Companion

Mar 3, 2014

From a full time working parent perspective, I could not do that unless there is an after school care and them be available on T and R because it would be confusing to a caregiver if something happened and we had to the hospital or something. But I think it depends on how Kindergarten is run, because my kids Kindergarten was 8 to 2 with the rest of the school than they walked across the street to the daycare. But my kids Pre-K was 8 to 2 and than if they weren't picked up, they stayed in after school care with other kids their age

13. Shiloh17

Shiloh17 Companion

Mar 3, 2014

Got it. We do something similar. Alphabet Show and Tell...my kids love it as well :love:

14. Shiloh17

Shiloh17 Companion

Mar 3, 2014

Thank you for sharing your schedules. I have noticed the same thing with parents' involvement. So it's a plus to hear they are usually more eager in the part time programs. Currently, I teach MWF Pre-K, 9-2PM. No class on Tuesday/Thursday. Next year, I will have a class on Tuesday/Thursday which is why my hours may change. I am one of the new teachers at my school. I am just fearful there will not be enough time in the 9-11:30AM class, but I will have to make it work. Thanks again :)

15. Shiloh17

Shiloh17 Companion

Mar 3, 2014

Completely understandable. Thanks for responding.

16. melnm

melnm Companion

Mar 6, 2014

I do the part time program also. I teach a 3s class and 4s class. Both are only 2 days a week. I'd really prefer one more day for my 4s, but we make it work. My son did the same type of program when he was little, 2 half days when he was 3 and 3 days when he was 4. I was a SAHM and it was perfect for us!

I also have really involved parents. I need to ask someone to volunteer to make play dough like you did, msaly. That's a great idea! Ours is getting really dry and I am planning to make more, but really not wanting the extra work.

17. Shiloh17

Shiloh17 Companion

Mar 8, 2014

How many hours is the 4s day? Thanks for replying...parent involvement is something I have noticed as well.

18. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Mar 9, 2014

In a part time program there are more parents who don't work or work part time, hence you get a lot more volunteers, in my experience.

I can do a lot more because I have parents helping every day.

19. Shiloh17

Shiloh17 Companion

Mar 9, 2014

Very true. I will have to take an advantage of that. :thanks:

20. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Mar 15, 2014

I have been around long enough to have seen child care and preschool evolve. Our small town used to have 3 preschools, and few day cares. Now, no preschools exist, but there are so many day cares, I can't keep up with them.

A long time ago, the 3 half days and 2 half days were all we had. Most programs were 9 to 11:30. Four year olds went 3 days and 3s went two days. I think more parents are working and needing full time is why it changed.

Another big change is the length of a work day. Most teachers worked only 6 hours a day. It was thought that any more was too much for a teacher to be at peak performance.

I really love a half day program as the children don't get bored and tired.

21. melnm

melnm Companion

Mar 23, 2014

Both our 3s and 4s programs are three hours per day.

Blue, I think you are right. Daycares are taking over most preschools. I agree that it is because of parents' work schedules. We also have preschool available to everyone through the public schools in my area.

Other than this year my 4s class is usually really tiny because most parents send their children to the full day preschool at the public school. I had thought about someday opening my own preschool, but I just don't see that being the way to go for the future.

I also remember shorter school days. When I was in school in the 80s, we were out by 2:30 in elementary school. Now it is 3:30 and sometimes 4:00 for elementery schools here! That's such a long day for little ones.

22. brightstart123

brightstart123 Rookie

Mar 25, 2014

In my views, this kind of system for Pre-Kindergarten kids, break their link as they cannot think of what they are going to do the next day. Firstly they don't like going to child care center by leaving home and then when they get attached to the child care them they don't like being at home.