PRE-INTERVIEW SCREENING

Discussion in 'Job Hunting & Interviews' started by CAAISA, Jul 10, 2006.

1. CAAISA

CAAISA Rookie

Jul 10, 2006

Just wondering....since I was not an educationl major, I'm a little nervous about being able to answer direct education-related questions. Two questions:

1. At the interview, if I don't know the answer to a specific education-related question, how do I best answer the interviewer.

2. I've heard alot about Harry Wong's "First Days of School". Do you think this book will help me better prepare for interview questions? I don't want to sound cheapo but I don't want to spend the $30 if it's not going to help me considering that I already bought an $80 college course book!!!!

3. adria

adria Comrade

Jul 10, 2006

I can tell that you are nervous and I feel the same way..tomorrow I have an interview for a third grade position. I wish I knew the future as to what questions I will be asked.

I might be wrong but if you don't know the answer to a specific educational question you can ask the interviewer to further explain..let them see that you are willing to learn and you are not afraid to ask questions. I truly believe that is a great quality of being an effective teacher.

Try your best not to stress too much...who knows maybe they are nervous and hoping that they can sell themselves to you so you can chose their school.

4. Kris8806

Kris8806 Companion

Jul 10, 2006

CAAISA - Since your not an education major I wouldn't stress to much questions you might not know. I'm not an ed. major and I was scared about the same thing. I was just honest and would give the best answer I could with the disclaimer that I was unfamiliar still with terms. Also, what I had the most trouble with was that I had no prior education experience so I couldn't answer questions such as: What is your classroom style, or how would you teach reading.

As for the Harry Wong book, I have it and when you get the job it will be incredibly helpful. But for the interview I don't think it's so necessary. It does help because it talks a lot about discipline plans and at interviews they often ask what your discipline plan will look like. If you're tight on money though you can get just as much information off of this website for now as you can from the book.

GOOD LUCK!

5. CAAISA

CAAISA Rookie

Jul 10, 2006

Kris--Thanks...This information was very helpful. Out of curiosity, did you get the job?

6. Kris8806

Kris8806 Companion

Jul 10, 2006

UGH! That's a whole other story! I got offered the job the very same day. It was for a long term sub for a woman on maternity leave. A week later the principal called me and told me that the woman had decided to come back to school at the start in August rather than October because she felt it would be too hard on the students. So I lost it. I'm working on getting an interview with another school for a full year 3rd grade classroom so let's see! Pray for me! =)

7. CAAISA

CAAISA Rookie

Jul 10, 2006

Good luck....I'll pray for you and you can pray for me.

8. goopp

goopp Devotee

Jul 10, 2006

check out the interview thread on here. There are tons of great questions that people have been asked at interviews and a lot of really good answers. If you can at least have an idea of what others have been asked, it should help you to prepare. I know it has me.

9. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Jul 10, 2006

Hi

I think you can answer some of those education questions anyway, if you just stay calm and think it through. Honestly, so you don't have classroom experience- FAKE IT. What would you do?? Think of procedures and routines and answer honestly about how you would deal with things. I like to think of teaching as being a good parent. Just do what comes naturally.

Secondly, HWong's book is great- when you get the job! IF you really want help on the interview. Read over the thread entitled, "Let's start some interview practice"

Good Luck

10. kidatheart

kidatheart Habitué

Jul 11, 2006

Rather than buy it right now, why don't you visit the library and take it with you on vacation - you can skim through the sections on classroom management and the importance of procedures...
    I recently did the samething. It was very, very informative. But like others said - not necessary to buy it outright!

11. CAAISA

CAAISA Rookie

Jul 11, 2006

VERY GOOD SUGGESTION!!! I never even thought about that! Thanks!

12. kidatheart

kidatheart Habitué

Jul 11, 2006

best of luck to you CAAISA!!!