Pre-Calculus

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by wcormode, Sep 2, 2010.

1. wcormode

wcormode Rookie

Sep 2, 2010

I am teaching a Senior Math class first semester to prepare them for College Algebra in the spring. I only have one book for myself and 6 students so I have been making copies for them.

A representative of a Federal Grant came in my room today and said she had a budget for my classroom to buy items needed for seniors to use.

Does anyone have an awesome Pre-Calc textbook that I should look up? I would prefer one that has a great online resource library to draw from.

3. wcormode

wcormode Rookie

Sep 2, 2010

One book that I have found is the Blitzer Precalculus book. I have the 3rd edition now. But if I ordered I would get the 4th edition. They also have a Blitzer Algebra and Trig. They say that it is a slower paced Precalc book. I have already had to slow down my course as it is. Does anyone know which would be the better College Algebra Prep course book?

4. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Sep 2, 2010

The last time I taught it-- in 2000-- we used the Larson PreCalculus text.

I have no idea about resources, online or otherwise. But I liked the topics and the problem sets.

5. wcormode

wcormode Rookie

Sep 2, 2010

That book looks very similar to the Blitzer 3rd Edition that I have now. If the books that I get can come with the access codes then I could possibly spend a year assessing them on MyMathLab. Then I could possibly show that it was invaluble and they would purchase the codes for me each year. (I assume they expire). I may go for the Blitzer version and just do the harder book. I have a week to decide. I need to look and see what their College Algebra book contains before I decide.