Pre-Assesment

Discussion in 'Middle School / Junior High' started by bteach, Mar 29, 2008.

1. bteach

bteach Rookie

Mar 29, 2008

The buzz word this month during our PD's is pre-assessment. Even though we're given a pacing calendar to follow, and we have to prepare them for the state test, each unit and topic should be pre assessed. We should only teach it if we've assessed their prior knowledge. I started a graffiti wall so students can write down anything they want on a question I ask them before a unit. i.e. What is a hypotenuse? Answer(I have no clue) That is my pre-assessment tool for this week. Any other creative suggestions???

3. Vegas Art Guy

Vegas Art Guy Rookie

Apr 9, 2008

You could have a discussion about what you are going to teach and then have them tell you what they know, that way the pre-assessment is informal and the kids may not know that you're actually doing something useful. You could also give a pretest to see where they start and then compare it to the final assessment to see what they learned.

4. KCTeacher

KCTeacher Rookie

Apr 9, 2008

I agree that a discussion is a good way to do a pre-assessment. I'm not sure if a pretest would be good because you might end up wasting a lot of time. Instead of a pretest, maybe you can throw a few problems from the next lesson(make them worth less points) onto their test for the lesson you just taught. You would be already giving them the test so you wouldn't be wasting time and then you can actually see on an individual basis who knows about the next topic. I usually just begin the next lesson and see how well they are picking up the information. If they really understand it then I know I can move on quicker. If they seem confused I know i need to spend more time on that specific topic.

5. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Apr 9, 2008

I like the discussion idea. I don't formally pre-assess my students, but as a math teacher, one thing builds on the last thing, so I can constantly fast foward a little and see what they can handle. You don't say what grade/subject you teach. That could change how you would approach this issue.

6. jsfowler

jsfowler Companion

Apr 14, 2008

I have studied a lot about differentiated instruction and pre-assessment is essential. If doesn't have to be a big "to-do". Think-pair-share can be pre-assessment...a KWRL chart...a mini-quiz with the response clickers...a round table...Pre-assessment can be as little as 5 minutes or as much as an entire class period. If it is the beginning of a large unit, I may take 30-40 minutes...individual lessons, 5-10 minutes tops.

7. bteach

bteach Rookie

Apr 18, 2008

I like these ideas, especially not making it a formal assessment. The think pair share seems very useful and interactive. I've also come up with a warm up question based on the upcoming lesson. I think it may help with the preassessment. Also I think a knowledge rating is very useful to gauge the students of prior knowledge. Thanks.

8. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Apr 19, 2008

One of the pre-assessment tools I use is a bonus question on the test of the unit that's ending. I give them a problem that combines what we've been doing to what we're about to do. They're trained to attempt EVERY problem, no matter how off base they think they are, so they all attempt the bonus problem, and I get to see what they already know about the unit coming up.

9. bteach

bteach Rookie

Apr 20, 2008

Thanks mmswm I really like the idea of a bonus question that serves as a pre assessment as well. You gauge both what they learned and what their about to learn. I plan on giving that a try. Great idea.