Pre-Admission Field Experience Question

Discussion in 'New Teachers' started by Magnolia, Jul 17, 2010.

1. Magnolia

Magnolia Rookie

Jul 17, 2010

Hi all!

I'm working on applying to a multi-subject credential program in CA and I am totally stumped on one of the requirements.

The school website states that I need to complete 45 hours of pre-admission field experience in a K-5 classroom. Ways to accomplish this include subbing, being an instructional aide, or being a classroom volunteer.

In the districts around me in CA, subbing is nearly impossible for inexperienced teachers, since so many laid off teachers are in the subbing pool. My question is this: does anyone have any advice on how I should go about becoming a classroom volunteer? I have no teacher friends that I can call, and no contacts in any districts. I am kind of just lost right now, and any advice you all can offer would be greatly appreciated.

For a little background, I have passed the CBEST and am in the process of studying/taking the CSET.

Thanks!

3. Irissa

Irissa Cohort

Jul 17, 2010

Did you go to school in CA? If so you might ask your former teachers to let you volunteer. Do you have friends who have teacher relatives? Beg their indulgence to let you work in their rooms. Do you have friends with children in school? Ask them to talk to their child's teacher for you. If all else fails walk into your neighborhood elementary school and tell them about your interest in education and how you would like to volunteer there.

4. Mrs Ski

Mrs Ski Companion

Jul 17, 2010

Call and ask. I had zero contacts in any schools, until i called a local school told the P what i needed, and they were more than willing to let me come in and observe, volunteer, and even teach some lessons.

5. milteachwife

milteachwife Rookie

Jul 18, 2010

I think another way to familiarize yourself with the school and teachers is to volunteer in one of their after school activitities like scouts, or sports, or clubs. Once the teachers know that you will return to the school on a regular basis they will wecome you into their classrooms.

6. dovian

dovian Comrade

Jul 18, 2010

See if you can find out what clearances you might need before you start asking around. Here you'd need a child abuse clearance and I think also a criminal background check before they'd let you work directly with the students, even if the classroom teacher knows you. It may save you some time if you get those documents in place before you start looking.

7. Magnolia

Magnolia Rookie

Jul 18, 2010

Thanks for all the advice!

I guess I will just give my old elementary school a call and see if I can get the ball rolling there. I hadn't even thought of trying to contact my old teachers, but that sound like a great idea!

I suppose I should go ahead and call now, even though the schools are out for summer, so that I can begin the clearance process. Hopefully that will make it easier for me to start right up when school's back in session.

Again, thanks for the ideas. I'm so glad I found this forum! :)