Prayers for a beginning

Discussion in 'Prayer Request Forum' started by texashistory, Aug 24, 2014.

1. texashistory

texashistory Rookie

Aug 24, 2014

This will be my first year teaching. I wanted it badly and so far I feel like the best school, location and team came my way.

But I've been doubting myself this past week. With some 11 hours countdown I'll officially be a teacher and all I can do is cry and be nervous.

I haven't had time to really sit down and study the curriculum since I started last Tuesday and that was professional development meeting/training after training and just brief overviews over changes to the curriculum.

Other than a "get to know you" I don't have anything set up for the kiddos to do. Everyone keeps telling me to relax and to just get to know them but other than lunch, PE, art and recess I have these kiddos for pretty much 6 hours and I just feel lost. In my heart I KNOW I'm going to do a good job and it's going to be okay but I just can't stop having doubts.

Prayers for confidence and a good beginning :unsure: :)

Thank you!

3. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Aug 24, 2014

First, breathe. You will do fine, but you won't think you did. I speak from experience, the same experience that 99.9% of us here would admit to. You have my prayers.
    What grade are you teaching? I teach 4th and we only have a 1/2 day that first day. I spend it collecting supplies (depending on the grade, you can have the kids help with this), going over my classroom expectations and behavior management plan (if you don't have one, you need one before the kids get there, talk to others at your grade level and if they have one, use it for the first year at least - don't reinvent the wheel - I did - bad bad bad decision). We practice how to line up, how to come in each morning, how to walk in the hall, etc. I also use the time to introduce myself to them. I've made a powerpoint of my 4th grade life. I've got a few picture, I show them the schools I went to, my family, my friends, music that I loved as a kid, etc. They love it. We have to teach a lesson in bus safety, I do that. You can have them get their supplies ready (binders and dividers set up, names on supplies, pencils sharpened). I have the kids write me a letter (to introduce themselves and to let me see their writing skills). Depending on your grade, there are other things you can do. Check out Pinterest, it can be your best friend. Feel free to message me if you like and I'll share all the first day things I have. I run them off and never have time for them all. :)
    Again, breathe, enjoy the kids and your day. I will be sending you lots of prayers!

4. texashistory

texashistory Rookie

Aug 26, 2014

Thank you ChristyF! The first day went really good. Today was not horrible but extremely overwhelming.

Since about noon I've been having doubts about it. I'm in my ACP so since noon my mentality has been 'do your year...get your certification and get out of dodge'

Prayers for courage and to just breathe. I know I got the position for a reason (of course my reasoning right now is that I got it to get my certification so I can move around!)

5. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Aug 27, 2014

Prayers for a good school year!

6. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Aug 27, 2014

You've got this! My first year teaching I thought I was horrible. Last year, I taught a kid again in high school I taught in 3rd grade that first year. He said he never noticed me being a horrible teacher, just his classmates being bad students! :) We are our own worst critics!

A few tips I wish I had known before my first day:

- Ask another teacher to walk through the lunch and dismissal procedures with you.

- Make sure you know how each kid gets home, and that they do, too.

- Plan two more activities than you think you can finish the first day.

- Have a plan for what kids do with school supplies when they bring them.

- Be ready to have to teach so many procedures, and know what your plan is for turning in papers, etc.

Worry about curriculum over the weekend!

7. sarahwilla

sarahwilla Rookie

Aug 28, 2014

hey @texashistory , wishing you all the best. i will remember you in my everyday prayers. a very good luck

8. jteach89

jteach89 Companion

Aug 28, 2014

Prayers to you! :) Im not a first year teacher, but a second year teacher in a public school. I still feel like a newbie. So I can rather relate. :) God Bless and to a great school year!