Prayer for the new school year and for my husband

Discussion in 'Prayer Request Forum' started by daisy, Jul 27, 2003.

1. daisy

daisy Rookie

Jul 27, 2003

I just want to lift up everyone for the upcoming school year. I'm already stressed worrying about it, and I'm sure I'm not the only one. I just want to feel like I am truly making a difference. I want to know that I am teaching everything I need to be, and discipline isn't making my days just a crowd control situation. I also want the kids to know that I believe in them, and will do everything I can to help them succeed.

As for my husband, we have been trying to find a job for him for a year now. He has been doing odd jobs, but that just isn't cutting it where the budget is concerned. Also, it isn't what he is going to school for. He is in aviation, and the aviation industry is not doing too well these days. I feel like I am as supportive as I can be, but it is still hard to see him not fulfilling his dreams. We NEED a break. If we could see some progression, we would see a light at the end of the tunnel. Unfortunately, we have been stagnant with no prospects.
    Please lift us up in prayer. The main prayer is for at least one door to open to get us going to where we want to be.

3. Amanda

Amanda Administrator Staff Member

Jul 27, 2003

I will pray that you will know God's will for your lives. Try to think positive thoughts about your class. Just as negative thoughts will build upon one another, so will the positive. When you catch yourself worrying, try to think about something positive. I will pray that you will be comforted in that area as well.

:)

4. daisy

daisy Rookie

Jul 28, 2003

Thanks!!!

Thanks so much. We just need direction in our lives because being stagnant is not good. I have always been the kind of person who had a goal in mind and stuck to it until I reached it. We have goals and ideas of things we'd like to see happen, but there are so many hurdles, and we haven't been able to jump over one in a whole year!! Please continue to pray for us. HUGS!:D

5. Love to Teach

Love to Teach Cohort

Jul 28, 2003

Daisy-hi! :) Keeping you and yours in my thoughts and prayers! :)

Jody

6. daisy

daisy Rookie

Jul 29, 2003

THANKS!!! We need it!!

7. daisy

daisy Rookie

Aug 17, 2003

The first week of school went really quite well. I think I have a great group this year. Also, even though we're not supposed to worry about whether kids like us or not, I really think they like me as their teacher. That always makes you feel good.

On my husbands job front, we are still feeling rather hopeless. Even the regular jobs (ones not on his career path)around here aren't hiring. When we get our hopes up about something, we just end up being defeated. PLEASE PRAY FOR US!! It was really hard going shopping last night and only have a few bucks to buy the necessities like bread and milk. The bills are getting harder and harder to pay. Once again, PLEASE PRAY FOR US!!:(

8. deann

deann Rookie

Aug 17, 2003

I'm so sorry you and your husband are having such a difficult time. I will be praying for you guys.

deann

9. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Aug 18, 2003

Daisy,

My husband also has been unemployed for over a year. As time went on & he didn't find a job we decided that God needed him to be home for me, now my husband feels that God still wants him home as I have taken a job at a brand new charter school. I know about bills being unpaid, I dread the phone ringing!! Is your husband on unemployment? What about state assistance? I'm reading Just Enough LIGHT for the Step I'm On by Stormie Omartian. It's about trusting God in the tough times, which I've had problems with this summer.

I'm right where you are now. I will keep you in my prayers. Feel free to PM me!

Kathleen

10. daisy

daisy Rookie

Aug 18, 2003

Thanks for your words of encouragement. It just seems like we'll never get ahead. We are still living in a small apartment, barely paying the bills, have a credit card looming above us, and we are no where near a better place in life. I can deal with not having things. I grew up without much, but I knew that there was always a way out. I just don't see one now.

11. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Aug 18, 2003

Do you have credit protection on the credit card? If so talk to them & see what they can/will do. Sometimes it takes multiple conversations but eventually most will work with you. State assistance has been very welcome in our household.

12. daisy

daisy Rookie

Aug 18, 2003

We are able to make the payments on the credit card, but it'll take forever to pay it off. That irritates me because I was never one to put anyhting on the CC. If I did, it would be paid off the next month. AS for assistance, I make too much money (HA! HA!)to receive any. I hate to go there, but TEACHERS GET PAID TOO LITTLE. I know, I know. I'm not saying anything new, but we are expected to shape the minds of young children while we get paid terribly.

13. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Aug 18, 2003

Our assistance was based on my husband's unemployment, mortage etc. They didn't figure my income in. Our income was cut in more then 1/2 when my husband lost his job!

14. daisy

daisy Rookie

Aug 18, 2003

We were told we couldn't do that unless we filed our taxes seperately.

15. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Aug 19, 2003

Must be a difference in states. We'd be ok if we didn't have the credit cards. Our income was cut in 1/2 & it hurts. I've finally reached the point where my husband & I believe that this is God's will and He will take care of us. We just let the phone ring! I will continue to pray for you.

16. daisy

daisy Rookie

Aug 19, 2003

I really don't believe this is where we are supposed to be forever. He wants to work, and I want to stay at home and have kids. Those are not just wishes, either. I truly believe I'm supposed to be a mom at some point. In the mean time, though, I am working, and he is getting what ever little work he can. Anyhow, we will get through it eventually. It's just the wait that really stinks. About the assistance, I personally would not feel comfortable in taking it to begin with. There are people worse off than us that deserve it more. The only reason I know I don't qualify is because someone looked for me. Funny, huh?

17. daisy

daisy Rookie

Aug 19, 2003

Well, we got our hopes up about something else just to have it not work out. After a year, this is getting real old. I'm having a real hard time with standing still and knowing he is God.

Thanks, Kathleen, for talking this over with me. It's nice to talk to someone in the same place instead of hearing things will work out. I know they will EVENTUALLY, but sometimes you just need to vent, right?

18. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Aug 19, 2003

I get very tired of people telling me that things will get better, that God is testing me or the devil is trying to get me to break. It was really scary this summer before I found this job, neither of us were working, plus we were having to pay health insurance through COBRA. Everyone in the house takes meds (including the dog, thankfully not the cat!) My faith has taken a real beating. I especially get tired of hearing that we will get through this. That doesn't take care of the here and now. Things are looking up now with my new job, but it will be a lot of work as it is a new school opening up next Thursday with no supplies but furniture! For some reason that doesn't bother me as much as I thought it would, but maybe after everything I went through last year at work this will be a breeze!

19. daisy

daisy Rookie

Aug 20, 2003

I hear ya!!

20. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Aug 28, 2003

It never ends!:mad: My daughter was having a fit, slammed her bedroom door shut and caught the cat in the door. The cat hissed & ran off. I then found blood, from the cat but I don't know where from!

My husband had an interview today, and he should hear something next week. My first day with my Kindergarteners was great! I pray that it keeps up this way.

How's your husband's job search?

Kathleen

21. daisy

daisy Rookie

Aug 29, 2003

My husband's job search is going nowhere. I keep telling God that we really need a break. I know I shouldn't be telling him anything, but we are so frustrated. We get our hopes up, and the next thing you know, we are deflated again.

22. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Aug 29, 2003

Sorry to hear it. Day by day .....

23. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Sep 1, 2003

You're right. It doesn't pay to get your hopes up. My husband & I talked about that this weekend. He's had so many people say "You're at the top of the list. We'll make a decision in the next 24 hours." And then we never hear from them again! I then take a step back and remind myself that this is God's will. If it is God's will he will be offered the job and my husband will accept it.

24. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Sep 27, 2003

Daisy,

How's it going at work? My husband still hasn't found a job, has yours? Christmas is beginning to look very sad.

Kathleen

25. daisy

daisy Rookie

Sep 28, 2003

Thanks for asking....Sorry to say, though, same old, same old. We have already started to worry about Christmas, too. Any ideas on some cheap presents that don't look cheap??? HEE HEE Anyhow, I'll keep you in prayer. Please do the same for us. :)

26. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Sep 29, 2003

Grandparents will get school pictures. I think that I'm going to let my kids pick out fabric & I'll make clothes for them. We told my daughter (a 6th grader) the truth about Santa, but my 2nd grader still believes. I think we'll pick up a toy here & there & that will be it. We will probably opt out of classroom gift giving this year. No Christmas cards this year. I've had friends who have said that they may be willing to help for the kids. I'll be happy just to survive until Christmas! I'll keep you in our prayers also.

Kathleen

27. daisy

daisy Rookie

Oct 4, 2003

Yup, my hubby and I have already made a list of gifts for people to see how much it would cost and see if we could cut it. Also, we already have cards because we bought some last year during all the sales. We did the same with wrapping paper. We got 3 boxes of cards and a whole bunch of wrapping paper for only about $5.

28. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Oct 5, 2003

It's not so much the cost of the cards, but the cost of mailing them out! Years past I've sent out 50-100 cards to family, friends & church members. I always buy wrapping paper after Christmas, but sometimes I make the cards, that's what we did last year. I'm feeling depressed again so I'm leaning toward no cards and gifts only for the kids.

29. daisy

daisy Rookie

Oct 7, 2003

We only send about 20 cards, so it won't hurt the wallet too much. :) As for gifts, we are going to get one for each of our parents and combined gifts for his brother and wife and both sets of grandparents. That makes only 7 gifts, thank God!!! We probably won't buy for each other, but we are used to that. On anniversaries and other holidays, we usually write each other really sweet letters.

30. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Nov 9, 2003

Daisy,

How's it going? My husband still is looking for work. He's had a few more interviews in the last couple of weeks, but so far nothing has panned out.

I'm tired of all this!

Kathleen

31. Jen

Jen Rookie

Nov 17, 2003

husbands jobs??

Dear Kathleen & Daisy

I have read both of your posts about your husbands being
    out of work for a while now. I hope you don't mind, I wasn't
    trying to evesdrop. It humbled me to read your posts.
    I hope you don't mind suggestions either, but I felt that
    if there was anything I could do or suggest, I should(besides
    saying prayers for both of your families. Has your husbands thought
    about substitute teaching? I know that it would not solve all your
    problems, but it may help. In my district they pay $55 a day for
    subs with no college and $60 a day with 2 years of college. It might
    be something to look into, plus they would have a flexible schedule for interviews or such. Again I'm not trying to pry just trying to help.

Praying for you,
    Jen:)