Prayer for Student Teaching

Discussion in 'Prayer Request Forum' started by makingthebook, Jan 13, 2012.

1. makingthebook

makingthebook Rookie

Jan 13, 2012

Please pray for me and the school I will be student teaching at. It is in a pretty rough neighborhood. To say I am unprepared to deal with some of these issues would be an understatement. In addition to that, I am feeling pretty nervous about teaching period. I know it's kind of late to have this uneasiness, but I am feeling so unsure. I don't know if this is natural or if I made a really bad decision.

3. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Jan 13, 2012

:love:Consider yourself prayed for.

4. Cerek

Cerek Aficionado

Jan 14, 2012

It's perfectly natural to feel this sudden wave of uneasiness right before you start student teaching because - all of a sudden - the idea that YOU are going to be in front of the entire class becomes REAL! I had that same feeling of anxiety the morning I got my very first call to substitute in a class. Add to that the fact that you will be going into an environment you're not used to and that only adds to the anxiety.

Just take a deep breath, close your eyes and relax. Don't worry about making mistakes. You're expected to do that and learn from it. It's all part of the job. I'm sure you will do just fine.

Being placed in areas or situations outside our comfort zone helps us grow as a person and as a teacher. I'm sure you will do just fine.
    I'll be happy to send up a prayer for you. Just remember; if God will bring you to it, He will bring you through it. ;)

5. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jan 14, 2012

I was a sheltered Catholic School kid from the suburbs when I student taught at a large NYC public school.

And you know what? It was fine. The school was run by a caring group of professionals. Yes, it was a lot louder and bigger than my 750-student high school. But once the classroom doors were closed, it was a math classroom, just like any other math classroom.

You'll be STUDENT teaching. That's a million miles away from being the only adult authority in the room. You'll learn a lot-- that's great.

Go into this open minded. Having that school on your resume will show your willingness to grow as a teacher. But, more than that, working a that type of school will make you better able to work with the kids you'll see over the course of your career.

As to the rough neighborhood: speak to the other teachers about how they safeguard their cars, where they park, and so on. And stop and clear your mind before leaving the building each day, particularly at this part of year when it's dark so early. Don't be so preoccupied with schoolwork that you're not aware of your surroundings.

Then go, and learn how to put all those theories you've learned into practice.

As to your nervousness about teaching in general: I think that's probably pretty common on the cusp of student teaching. You've spent years learning the theories. Now you realize the huge void between a class in adolescent pyschology and being the adult dealing with a 14 year old in crisis mode.

But again,remember: you'll be STUDENT teaching. There will be a safety net in the form of your cooperating teacher.

My hope for you is that you find the kind of joy in teaching that I find. I've been teaching math since 1980 and I absolutely love what I do and where I do it. I love interacting with the kids, and seeing those "aha" moments. I love that kids leave my class more confident in themselves and their abilities than when they entered it. There's not a career in the world I can imagine loving as I love teaching.

You have my prayers and best wishes.

6. linswin23

linswin23 Cohort

Jan 14, 2012

Positive thoughts and energy sent your way :)

7. luv2teachmath

luv2teachmath Rookie

Jan 18, 2012

I am also sending a prayer your way! I am going through exactly what you are. My student teaching is also in a rough neighborhood, and like Alice, I grew up a pretty sheltered Catholic school kid. Things so far are going well.....when the regular teacher is in the room. When I'm there by myself, i.e. substituting, let's just say it's not so pretty. Well anyway, I just wanted to let you know that you are not alone. I'll pray for you, and be sure to pray for me too! :)
    Feel free to message me if you ever want to talk!

8. gemgirlxoxo

gemgirlxoxo Rookie

Jan 18, 2012

I felt the same way as you do before I started my student teaching last spring. I was really anxious and nervous and never taught a lesson before student teaching. I was also in a rough neighborhood (Harlem, NY). It may be hard at first, but you'll get used to it and it'll be fine. Being in the classroom learning about teaching and actually teaching are very different things so at first I definitely felt unprepared, but that is why student teaching exists. You're not prepared to be a teacher until you get practice, no matter how much education you have. Things will not always go perfectly and you may make some mistakes but you will learn a lot and gain a lot more confidence.

9. gettingthere12

gettingthere12 Rookie

Jan 23, 2012

I will pray that God will.keep you through your journey! Please pray that God will give me the knowledge and relieve my test anxiety to pass my remaining certification exams!

10. gettingthere12

gettingthere12 Rookie

Jan 23, 2012

Do not fret about the neighborhood. All children regardless of race, religion, SES need teachers to educate them and last but least, love them. I had to complete a class internship hours in a urban school.The children were intellligent and loving. I wanted go go back to the school because the kids were wonderful ! Go into the school with a positive heart and grin, the kids will love you!:love: Always pray to God to help you throughout your journey, do not doubt yourself,!