prayer for seriously ill hubby

Discussion in 'Prayer Request Forum' started by munchkin, Jun 6, 2006.

1. munchkin

munchkin Cohort

Jun 6, 2006

Please keep my family and I in your prayers. My hubby collapsed last tuesday with what we thought was pnuemonia, and has turned out to be massive pulmonary embolisms with further complications that we have yet to discover what they are.
    The doctors are confused, and we are exhausted and terrified since they can't find out why he hasn't been able to keep anything solid down for more than 4 hours or stop coughing. Of course the more he vomits, the more his acid reflux reacts and causes him to cough, which inturn causes a chain reaction of symptoms of which none of them are good.
    He has massive clots in his lungs, that look like a litter of puppies. Three deep big clots in his right leg: one in his crotch,one behind the knee and one in the calf. He' s on blood thinners, bp meds, oxygen etc.... He can't relax, as he is a small business owner that is in danger of losing his business since he can't be at work, and this inturn makes him stress even more, etc etc.
    I am signing off for a while until things settle down in our lives. Please Keep us in your thoughts and prayers. Thank you ahead of time.
    :( munchkin:confused: :(

3. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Jun 6, 2006

I am so sorry. I know that it is easier said than done..... But tell your husband to concentrate on getting better and not to worry to much about work. His health is all that matters. I am sending prayers to you and your family. Have faith.

4. Amanda

Amanda Administrator Staff Member

Jun 6, 2006

Oh, I'm so sorry... I will keep you in my prayers. My dad had a bought with blood clots a few months back and it is not a fun thing to deal with.

5. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Jun 7, 2006

Munchkin, I am keeping all of you in my prayers. You have a lot on your plate now. I will pray for his health, and your strength.
    Christy

6. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jun 7, 2006

I am so sorry; you and your husband are in my prayers.

7. Lesley

Lesley Habitué

Jun 7, 2006

Oh, I am so sorry to hear of your husbands health. I pray he is better soon.

8. missypoopoo

missypoopoo Rookie

Jun 7, 2006

Munchkin,
    I am sending many prayers for your hubby and for the whole family. You will be remembered daily in our family prayer.
    missypoopoo

9. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jun 7, 2006

I will pray for your hubby and you, munchkin.

10. GlendaLL

GlendaLL Aficionado

Jun 7, 2006

munchkin - I am sorry to hear about your husband's health problems and the stress that he is feeling about being away from his job. You are both in my thoughts and prayers.

11. hescollin

hescollin Fanatic

Jun 7, 2006

munchkin, Sorry, as we send prayers to heaven for you and your husband. Remember to take care of yourself, also. Drink plenty of fluids. Hugs to you all.

12. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Jun 7, 2006

Munchkin...prayers being said for all of you!!!

13. audrey1722

audrey1722 Rookie

Jun 7, 2006

I am praying for you as well. It seems as if you will have an army of prayers, which is wonderful. God Bless!

14. munchkin

munchkin Cohort

Jun 10, 2006

well he came home last night. He is on oxygen for awhile. He will be working from home. He is fortunate that he owns his own business and that alot, if not most of his work can be done by phone and internet. The leg work or sales, can be done by his new salesrep, who by the way has been doing a fantastic job pitching in and helping to do a bunch of administrative stuff in office and other stuff that is most definitely not on her job description. Everyone in his office has pitched in sooo well.
    None of his doctors can figure out why he has these embolisms, his body is a mass of contradictions. In addition to the embolisms, we found out he has a hiatal hernia which caused him to have his acid reflux that they diagnosed about five years ago. They told him that it is a miracle that he is still alive after passing out 2x. Most people never wake up, much less walk out of the hospital without extreme damage to their vital organs.
    We are so lucky and blessed! I've got my husband, and my best friend:) , and I am not taking that for granted.
    Thank you all for the prayers and well wishes. Heaven knows that that was what saved him! Even though we aren't out of the dark yet, we are using this as a catalyst for some positive changes in our lives and relationships.

munchkin

15. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Jun 10, 2006

That is good news muchkin- keeping you both in my prayers

16. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jun 10, 2006

Thanks for the update. Let us know how it goes. I'll keep praying for you both.

17. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Jun 11, 2006

Prayers for you two & the people "running" the business while he's gone!!

18. munchkin

munchkin Cohort

Jun 11, 2006

I wish I just knew what to do for him. One day he has energy, five minutes later he's out like a light. They say to call if there's changes in his breathing, color, appetite,etc.. Of course there are going to be changes! Life is all about changes. I want to know what to look for! Today, for example, he remained extremely pale all day. Though he has lost some weight due to not eating anything for 7 days, literately., he remains extremely bloated. Looks like he's carrying atleast triplets! :rolleyes: tease him and ask him if this is a tactic to get in the World book of Guiness records, yet I am terrified that is one of the emboli's that have burst and are causing hemoragging in his lower abdomen , just like what happened to his mother in the days right before she died. On the one hand they say imobility causes these clots, and the other... if you move/massage anything, it could cause one of them to break loose and go straight to the heart or brain and cause stroke or death quickly. So do I pester him to move around, rub his legs/back/tummy, or do I nottouch him and fuss when he crosses his ankles/legs???:sorry: It may sound cruel/callouse to be teasing him, but truthfully it is the only way we have stayed married for 25 years. It is one of the foundations ofour relationship= without it, we'd be divorced.
    I wonder if its normal for me to feel like biting off everyone's head one moment and trying to do everything for everyone the next? I am exhausting myself, but I can't seem to stop.
    I will have to call the patient advocate tomorrow to try and get some clarification on his release and his case.I pray that I am doing the right thing.
    On the one hand, I can't imagine life without being by his side, and the other I find myself thinking that if he is gone, I am outa this awful town faster than you can say supercalifragilisticexiallidotius. I do not care if I lose this awful house, I just want out of here.

19. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jun 11, 2006

Munchkin, can you get someone to stay in the house with you? Do you know any nurses? You have to take care of yourself right now. Right now. Stop worrying about anyone else but your husband and yourself.
    All of your feelings are normal. I know it's hard, but just try to let them come and go.
    Ask the doctors specific questions. Have you kept a log of your hubby's symptoms? It would be helpful to have it all written down, with times. Include a page for medicines, if he's on any.
    Keep us posted.

20. munchkin

munchkin Cohort

Jun 11, 2006

Thanks for the concern, Upsadaisy. No, I don't know any other nurses besides the ones he had in the hospital. I have tried to set up a log of meds(directions on this area alone is confusing to say the least!) and his symptoms. The doctors are very difficult to get ahold of, as they serve on that particular hospital staff only. I am not sure that these guys even have their own patients & office hours other than the hospitals. ... They appear to only show up for their shift, then they go back and hide in their closets at home or whereever and don't take calls.
    It's very confusing. If you are in their hospital, there is a bunch of doctors that go around the hospital and serve on multiple floors on set dates, and if you are not one of the patients on the particular floor that they are working on that day, then you are regulated to seeing a strange doctor who doesnt' know you , your medical history, and half the time hasn't read up on your chart to even know what your in there for!!
    There was a doctor on my hubby's "team" that treated him for acid reflux 3-4 years ago... Then, when his digestive areas were finally brought to his attention as having caused problems, this doctor comes out and tells the nurse: " this is the first I've heard of this man having digestive problems." OH REALLY!?!?!? we had been complaining for days that my husband was in abdominal agony and throwing up everything even remotely solid for 7 days, before they called in a GI doctor to test for stomach problems, and found a hiatal hernia. GRRRRRR Oh, and no they didn't feed him through a tube, or give him nurishment through an IV, except fluids the first day cause he was extremely dehydrated.
    We will be seeing several doctors within the next few weeks, and hopefully will get some answers then.
    Until then, I struggle to maintain my sanity, be a mother and try to appear semi intelligent with my recently started summer job as a receptionist for a German manufacturer without getting fired for being a ditz ball with no brains.

21. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jun 11, 2006

It is certainly no reflection on your capabilities that you are in a tailspin. It is a very stressful situation.

22. munchkin

munchkin Cohort

Jun 15, 2006

Progress report on hubby: Well, here it is one week from when he came home. today the doctor told him he could get off the oxygen tank! Woo HOO!
    When Terry heard this, he was sooo happy, that whenthe nurses weren't looking he jumped and clicked his heels together ! he of course immediately took it off and told everyone how grateful he and his sore nose was to be off that thing. (snicker)
    He is allowed to go back to work on a limited schedule. Today he pushed himself too hard, and stayed all day , then walked the mandated exercise in the local mall with me. When we came home, he got overheated due to the humidity and started coughing up a storm again. :: sigh::
    We got a message from his doctor, that he is to up the coumadine to 2x a day, as his blood isn't thin enough to dissolve the clots and they fear further clots. He will have another blood protien test on MOnday to see if the double dosage is working.
    HE struggles to accept his limitations, but he is chomping at the bit to get back to working a full salesman schedule at his advertising company. He is very afraid of losing his business that he has struggled to build up in the past 5 years. But, losing a business is alot better than losing your life. And I quote his doctor on that one.

We continue to be grateful for the second chance at life he has, and will work on being alittle more humble and accepting at our limitations.
    Thanks for your continued prayers.
    MUnchkin

23. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jun 15, 2006

Thanks for the update. I've been thinking about you.

24. munchkin

munchkin Cohort

Jun 23, 2006

anyone out there know of a drugstore/computer program that can put together all the medicine/crappy prescriptions that the medical field puts you on, combine it together with all of the side effects and come up with a DO NOT TAKE THESE PILLS EVER TOGETHER????
    My poor hubby is on 12 different meds, the doctor keeps changing the dosages. Some days he takes 1/2 a pill, then the next day he has to take 2 of the very same pill. THen also put it in context that some of these meds are prescribed by Doctor "A" and others by Doctor B,C, & D.... and NONE of those "professionalS" seem to try to match up notes and come up with one game plan and to make sure the patient understands it???
    I am at wits end in trying to understand what these people are saying. Sometimes they talk to us, sometimes just hubby, and he doesn't take notes and remembers only portions of what they tell hime. I try to be there with him, but I can't always be. I don't have the option of being there at theirconvenience times, I too have to work.
    As an example. Today, I get up plenty early enough,but when I am driving down the road 15 miles from the house, I discover that I have no makeup on, my hair isn't brushed, my teeth aren't either, and I am out of time to turn around and start over. I count my blessings that I am dressed in decent clothes atleast as I drive down the road, calling around to make sure that he has a ride to get to the doctors, work, etc since he isn't able to drive himself yet.

The key lpoint is this: any time that man wants my attention, time, affection, I am there, always. He comes first. I am not willing to take a chance of saying no and never being able to take it back. ITs wearing me down, and I am afraid that its hurting my chances at my job, and definitely hurting my chances of ever even getting a interview much less a classroom of my own this fall. Therefore, making him more upset, cause he wants me to have a "real" job with benefits etc... and the kids college tuition is due....
    Man, oh man there don't seem to be a big enough bottle of Calgon to take this one away!!!
    Night yall. Im going to sleep before I blow a gasket.

25. hescollin

hescollin Fanatic

Jun 23, 2006

The county health office might help you. You only pay what you can afford. The nurses at our office are super nice and they know what they are doing. It wouldn't hirt to at least call and talk to them. Saying a prayer and sending a hug. Petunia

26. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jun 23, 2006

Awww, munchkin, this is a terrible time for both of you. Can you take it one day at a time and try not to worry too much about the future? That mix of doctors stuff is worrisome. I think that the best bet is to talk to the pharmacist where you get his prescriptions. The pharmacist would be the most knowledgeable about the interactions. Get your rest!

27. Brenda

Brenda Companion

Jun 24, 2006

If you can list them for me and then send them to me (either by pm or by email), I will search for them in my med books and get back to you with what I know and can find in the drug book that I have here (one of my nursing books).

28. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jun 27, 2006

Good thoughts are w/ you during this difficult time.

29. munchkin

munchkin Cohort

Jun 27, 2006

a bit of good news. My hubby got clearance todrive himself to and from work. Woo hoo. Now the problem is, I can't get him to come home when he's suppose to work only 6 hours.
    He SAYS he understand what the doctors want, he says he feels ok, but he worked 9hours at the office and the bugger is still at it on the computer at home. :eek:
    How can I get it through to him, no matter how valuable that one client is to his business, it ain't gonna do him any good if he;s 6 feet under?!? I am gonna call up his doctor and read that man the riot act. I don't care if he is cheif of surgery in the hospital and a high muck a muck. That ain't gonna keep me warm and snuggly when my baby is 6 feet under and I am out of the street becaues we've lost our house, business and everything due to the medical bills!!!
    Sorry. I will get my temper under control. I will get my temper under control I will.....;)

30. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jun 27, 2006

Good news, though, munchkin. Glad to hear it. That's progress, anyway!

31. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Jun 27, 2006

I am so happy that your husband is feeling better!

32. munchkin

munchkin Cohort

Jul 1, 2006

More serious news

Well, Hubby is doing much better, I think. Still has worrisome symptoms, but we are dealing with it.This illness has brought about alot of changes in both of us. One of them is we seem to have more patience and tolerance of one another.

Found out early this week, my sister has cancer!:eek: They have found a 9mm tumor in her breast that is very deep. It is malignant. They believe they can remove it all, without further work. Since it is a slow growing tumor, they want to try a "new" proceedure of injecting radiation seeds 2x a day for five days to kill any remaining malignancies. If it is encapsulated. If it is not, or if it has spread, they will ofcourse do more drastic proceedures. she will be operated on sometime this coming week.:sorry: Her family isn't handling it very well.:eek:
    The better of the two scenarios means she will be able to go home the same day. WHat a difference in cancer treatments in the past 15 years.!!! Our mother had breast cancer also... 15 years ago and had a 20% chance of survival, yet is still alive and cancer free so far.:wow:

I am scared to death that a third shoe will drop and yet another family member will be ill with a catastrophic illness.... I just don't think I could survive if I lost another family member, right now.

Well, only time will tell, and I know that somehow this too will pass.

g'nite yall. Please keep our family in your prayers.

33. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Jul 2, 2006

Munchkin- So sorry to hear about your sister. I will continue to keep you and your family in prayer.

34. missypoopoo

missypoopoo Rookie

Jul 2, 2006

Oh my goodness!!!!

Munchkin - I am so sorry to hear about your sister. Praying that nothing else will happen to your family. My family will keep you all in our prayers.

35. munchkin

munchkin Cohort

Jul 5, 2006

well, my sister's surgery was today. They got the whole tumor and surrounding area and think they got it all. She starts here round of treatments in about a week , and will continue them for two weeks.

What a relief. Now, for hubby's 2nd recheck... its tomorrow. He seems to be feeling much better, and is getting back to be saucy!!:D

36. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 5, 2006

I'm glad your sister withstood today's surgery. You are all in my prayers.

37. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Jul 5, 2006

Good news munchkin

38. munchkin

munchkin Cohort

Aug 10, 2006

Well, hubby's better. Sister is worse. They found more than 2 sites with malignancies. They don't know how far its gone, which treatment options,and she's going bonkers. I feel so bad for her, but there doesn't seem to be much I can do for her, except pray, which I have been doing alot of.
    There's some kind of test called fish, that they did. And another that is suppose to see if and when the cancer will return in the next 5 to 10 years.... no results yet.

39. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Aug 11, 2006

Prayers for your sis!!!

40. selem

selem Rookie

Aug 19, 2006

Glad that your husband is better. I'm thinking of your sister. :)