Prayer for a small child

Discussion in 'Prayer Request Forum' started by ChristyF, Feb 12, 2006.

1. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Jul 12, 2006

Just to update you on Jake. They are going to work on the tumors in his lungs. They want to avoid cutting him open again so they are doing a radiofrequency abalation. (Putting a needle into his thorax and down into the tumor(s) in his lungs. They will then send radio waves into the needle which is supposed to heat it (the needle) and obliterate the tumor.) Of course there are dangers with any procedure. The biggest concern at the moment that his lungs have already been damaged. They are hoping that he won't have to go on the ventilator because of the procedure.
    He is having the procedure Friday at noon so take a few minutes to send a prayer up that it goes well. (They've posted new pictures if you haven't been to his site in a while - http://www.caringbridge.com/la/jakeowen/)

2. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Jul 12, 2006

Christy, I just viewed the photos and tears are streaming down my face. I love that little guy. Thanks so much for sharing.

3. kathy2215

kathy2215 Companion

Jul 12, 2006

I will be praying for him. I hope that God looks out for this little fellow.

4. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Jul 14, 2006

Christy, I don't know this family but I find myself checking on him daily!!! I think cause I have a lil' one and would want prayers being sent as well!!!!

I pray he comes through the procedure ok!!!!

5. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Jul 14, 2006

The latest update says that they think they got both tumors. Jake is hurting a fair amount, but he is on a morphine pump and mom and dad can give it when he needs it. The best part is that they were able to extubate him. They were worried he would have to stay on the vent.I pray that this is it for him. Diznee, I know what you mean. I have a link on my desktop so that I can just go right to his page (although I can type it in just as quickly!) My nieces check him all the time when they are here. Cbaby is 4, Jake's age. I look at the pictures of him, see Staci looking so strong, and wonder how we'd be in the same situation. Cbaby had to have surgery for a club foot and I just about fell apart seeing her in that hospital bed. I can't imagine what it's like for them with Jake. I check him a couple of times a day. Just seeing that first picture on the page puts a smile on my face!

6. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Jul 25, 2006

Things are looking good for the little man!!!

7. Kelster

Kelster Comrade

Jul 25, 2006

Wow, ChristyF I just looked at Jake's web site. What a cutie he is. My thoughts and prayers are with him.

8. krwaggieteach

krwaggieteach Companion

Jul 25, 2006

Wow! I just can't stop looking at this webpage! My thoughts and prayers are with this family!

9. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Jul 28, 2006

I know, once you go, and see those eyes, you're hooked. The news has been better lately, though, so it's easier to read.

10. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Aug 2, 2006

Happy update!

Jake is home! Not home as in the Target house, but home home. They are watching his immunity, but he is doing great. Thank you all for the prayers. He truly is a little miracle!

11. Kelster

Kelster Comrade

Aug 2, 2006

Wow Christy, that is so great!!!!!! I know that your family must be truely happy to have Jake home. I will continue to keep him in my prayers.

12. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Aug 2, 2006

Christy....I was so excited to read that on Jake's site this morning...power of prayers...now we just need to keep those good thoughts going so he continues to get better!!!!

13. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Aug 2, 2006

Thanks, Kelster. Actually Jake is the nephew of a friend that I work with. I just sort of got swept up in Team Jake! :love:

Diznee, you're right, those prayers are still free flowing.

14. kathy2215

kathy2215 Companion

Aug 2, 2006

I am so happy to hear that.

15. mssing children

mssing children New Member

Aug 14, 2006

I will Pray for this child

16. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Aug 18, 2006

Well, reality has bitten hard again for Jake and his family. His AFP had gone up. That meant the cancer was back. He just got through with scans and they showed tumors on the lungs again. He had a few days at home to enjoy. I'm not sure if they have made any decisions yet. They need lots of prayers though.

17. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Aug 18, 2006

Oh, Christy...BUMMER...I checked earlier but didn't see the scan update!!! Prayers continued!!!

18. kathy2215

kathy2215 Companion

Aug 18, 2006

I am so sorry I hope he is able to beat it

19. selem

selem Rookie

Aug 19, 2006

I am definitely praying for him.

20. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Sep 14, 2006

Christy, checked on Jake...sounds like a lot of prayers needed again!!!

21. Nat the Cat

Nat the Cat New Member

Sep 14, 2006

Poor little man; I will keep him in my prayers.

22. Good1

Good1 Rookie

Sep 15, 2006

I will pray for him.

Maybe this will help him through it. I used this on my own mother who has had cancer.

TELL HIM TO KEEP SAY THE WORDS .. I CAN and I WILL.

As in I CAN get through this and I WILL, or WILL MYSELF well.

I also told her to stay strong.

It's a mind over matter thing, but it made my mother pull through it.

I hope it does the same for Jake.

GOD BLESS YOU, JAKE !!

23. Good1

Good1 Rookie

Sep 15, 2006

I have an idea. on feb 21st, let's all either pray or call in on a prayer line, like the 700 club or any other way you can think of to get as many people to pray for him as possible. There is power in prayer. So, anyone with me on this?

24. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Sep 16, 2006

I haven't updated in a while, because at first, it looked good, then when things took a turn, we were all hoping for better. This is the latest. The Raborns and Jake need your prayers more than ever, please keep them all in your prayers.

It has certainly been a roller coaster of a day. Jake went to MRI at 10:00am, but by 4:00pm, we still had no definitive results. Finally, word came that no, Jake didn't have a stroke... but Yes, Jake DID have "many" new tumors in his brain. Some were "deep" and the covering of his brain is also diseased. (Don, I hope I translated what you told me correctly.) So, with a very heavy heart, we just moped around a little while to let that sink in. As Staci has said many times, only when there are no options will she panic. I must admit, I didn't panic, but I was pretty pissed off! Harsh word, and harsh feelings! Once I bounced back, I processed what Staci and DOn had told me would be the likely treatment option of choice. Now get this... this is the "best-sounding" option presented. Jake will have a port put into a vessel of his brain where chemo will be directly administered into the head. Because there is a blood brain barrier, the bone marrow transplant is supposedly not useful for any disease in his brain. Well, chemo directly to the brain does not sound like much fun, but it does sound like St. Jude is not giving up on Jake! Bless their hearts... no one can ever fault them for not trying everything their little minds can fathom to save a life!

25. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Sep 19, 2006

They are going to try to start weaning Jake off the sedatives so that he can wake back up. This is a rough time for his little body. Don (his dad) is here in Louisiana because of work so I'm sure it's doubly hard for him and Staci (mom) to not be together and for Don to not be there with Jake. Please pray that he is weaned off the sedatives without incident.

26. kathy2215

kathy2215 Companion

Sep 19, 2006

i will pray and i wish there family god luck

27. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Sep 20, 2006

Christy...many prayers continued here for that little man...things are sounding tough for him right now!!!

28. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Sep 20, 2006

He stopped breathing today, but as of fourish, he is back on life support and is breathing over the vent a little. This little guy has gone through so much.

29. wifemomteach06

wifemomteach06 Companion

Sep 20, 2006

Praying for this sweet child!!

30. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Sep 22, 2006

Prayers urgently needed

Here is the latest update on Jake. It's the update the family has dreaded. Up until now St. Judes has not said that there was nothing else they can do. That's what they are saying now.

Today has not been a very good day. About 1 hour ago the St. Jude staff came in and told Don and Staci there was nothing else they could do. About 2 hours ago they tried to put a temporary shunt in Jake's head to relieve pressure in his brain and serve as a drain. When they made the incision, he started to bleed and continued to bleed so they stopped the procedure. What they wanted to see was some clotting so they could continue. Because of this there is no "hope" for the port in his brain to deliver chemo. What they will do is wean Jake from paralytics tonight at midnight and start halfing the sedation until he can breathe on his own.

NOW! What we need is a miracle in that Jake will breathe on his own and we all get to see those baby blue eyes again. We pray the weaning process will go well and there is not a lot of agitation or fear. Staci has demanded that there will be no sadness tomorrow!!!!

Please continue your prayers. We want this boy to come home-home. Focus on breathing alone in your prayers.

31. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Sep 22, 2006

You've got all the support I can give.

32. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Sep 22, 2006

Miracles do happen. I'll pray for one.

33. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Sep 23, 2006

I prayed last nite & this morning when I read that on his site...FIGHT little man & BELIEVE!!!

34. Kelster

Kelster Comrade

Sep 24, 2006

Wow, I am definately praying for Jake. Come on Jake dig deep and fight hard you are too special and have so much to offer the world, so fight hard little man, fight hard.

35. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Sep 24, 2006

This song seems fitting for Jake........God is there with you Jake and you are loved! DON'T GIVE UP!!!!!!(you can hear the song by following the link at the bottom of this)

Don't give up
    It's just the weight of the world
    When your heart's heavy
    I, I will lift it for you
    Don't give up
    Cuz you want to be heard
    If silence keeps you
    I, I will break it for you
    Everybody wants to be understood
    Well I can hear you
    Everybody wants to be loved
    Don't give up
    Because you are loved
    Don't give up
    It's just the hurt that you hide
    When you're lost inside
    I, I'll be there to find you
    Don't give up
    Because you want to burn bright
    If darkness blinds you
    I, I will shine to guide you
    Everybody wants to be understood
    Well I can hear you
    Everybody wants to be loved
    Don't give up
    Because you are loved
    You are loved
    Aaaah
    Don't give up
    It's just the weight of the world
    Don't give up
    Everyone needs to be heard
    You are loved

You can hear this song by following this link and click on "You are Loved."
    Praying for a miracle Jake!
    http://www.joshgroban.com/main_news_frame.html

36. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Sep 25, 2006

Latest info

I just received the following about Jake, it's heartbreaking to hear:

I don't really know what to say right now. This is so heartbreaking. Jake is coming home tomorrow on Hospice. As of right now this is all I know . Thanks to everyone that prayed and believed in him. Please continue the prayers. The family will need them in the days to come. Mom talked to Aunt Jinnie alittle while ago and she said that they had just finished making molds of his hands. They do this for the kids that they know won't be back. They have a special place they put them. So so sad. Thank you all.

37. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Sep 25, 2006

I'm sorry Christy. I pray for the family and I am so sad to hear.

38. Kelster

Kelster Comrade

Sep 25, 2006

Don't really know how to respond, but to just say I am so sorry to hear this news. I was so hoping that Jake would be able to make a fight for recovery. I will pray for strenght and peace for the family.

39. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Sep 26, 2006

Oh, Christy...(tearing up) I was praying for this little man to receive a miracle!!! Isn't cancer such a weird disease a few weeks ago he was home & playing and in a blink of an eye something like this happens....I guess all we can do is pray for him & his family and for someday a cure so more little ones don't have to keep going through this!!!

40. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Sep 26, 2006

How heartbreaking. I'll keep them in my prayers still.....for comfort and peace. That poor little man and family.