Prayer for a small child

Discussion in 'Prayer Request Forum' started by ChristyF, Feb 12, 2006.

1. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Feb 12, 2006

I got this email today from a friend I work with. She is one of our PreK paras. We have followed Jake's battle for the last 2 years at school and are keeping them all in our prayers. I wanted to pass this along to you and ask for you to join in on the prayers for a very precious little child:

Hey Everyone,

I am attaching a picture of Jake Owen Raborn. I hope it works. This is my cousins little boy from West Monroe who has cancer. He has been battling this terrible disease for 2 years of his life. He is now 4. February 21st he will be getting a bone marrow transplant. He has had 18 rounds of chemo already. He will be the second person in the world to receive this kind of transplant and the first one did not survive. They have pretty much lived at St. Jude for almost 2 years. Staci (my cousin) also has two older boys who miss their mom terribly. So this has taken a big toll on this whole family. Please put them on your prayer list and pray daily for little Jake. Thank you very much. Also if you would please go to www.caringbridge.org/la/jakeowen and sign the guest book to let them know that you are thinking and praying for them. Let them know who you are and how you know about Jake.

Thank you

Cherry

3. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Feb 15, 2006

Jake's family is working hard to keep their spirits up. It was a rough weekend them, but they are putting a lot of hope into the bone marrow transplant. Please keep them all in your prayers as they go through this rough time.

4. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Feb 22, 2006

The news is good so far. Here's an update on Jake:

For anyone out there wondering...Jake had his bone marrow transplant last night around midnight. It lasted for about 3 hours. He did not have any problems as of yet. He has been released already and headed for the Target House. I hope he continues to do well. In the past few days with all the scans, test, and MRI's he has had ...they found a small brain tumor. They said it was in the best place possible to have one. It is just a wait and see now as to what to do. Please pray for this family. www.caringbridge.com/la/jakeowen

Please sign on the guestbook on this sight and let them know that you are praying for them. Some of you signed in before and I want to thank you. Their motto is BELIEVE!

Cherry

5. Amanda

Amanda Administrator Staff Member

Feb 22, 2006

Poor little guy. I think it is so amazing that someone would volunteer to do a bone marrow transplant... What a wonderful gift. I will keep him in my prayers.

6. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Feb 22, 2006

I read his story...it is sad ... but hopeful. When you check out his site, take a look at another. Go to caringbridge and click on 'VISIT' and then type in "babybrooke." She is the grandaughter of our cook where I work. She was burned in a housefire a couple of months ago. She is making great progress.

7. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Mar 26, 2006

Update on Jake and another prayer request

The battle that Jake and his family have faught continues. I'm attaching the message from his mom. He is having brain surgery Monday for two tumors. Please take a moment to include Jake and his family in your prayers.

The results from all the scans are in and well, Jake is scheduled for surgery Monday. Yes you read it right-MONDAY!!!!! Jake will have brain surgery on Mon. to remove 2 tumors. The tumors grew a lot in size from the last MRI, so they have decided to get them out as soon as possible. As far as the lungs, there is one large tumor, one that is questionable, and one that we have been watching for sometime now and it still has not grown in size. We will have to just watch these for awhile and focus on the brain for now. We don't have a lot of info on the surgery because it has just been set up. The surgeons will look at Jake's scans this weekend and we will discuss the details then. I know this all seems,well, a little crazy and it is!!! I just have to have faith. We asked for a clear and presice answer and I guess we got one! Let's just pray for the surgeons to have a clear and precise path. Pray that all goes smoothly during surgery and they are able to rid Jake's brain of all tumors.
    We are also cutting the dose of one of his rejection medicines by half to see if we see any German cells acting up. Our hope is that the new marrow will take care of the lungs and rid them of any small or cellular tumors. The big one will likely have to be resected.

8. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Mar 26, 2006

Wishing the best for all of you and that he will be ok...
    The little girl I talked about is home now recovering, so miracles do happen.

9. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Apr 2, 2006

Just a quick update on Jake, Cherry came in Friday telling us that he was back in the hospital again (not St. Judes, but LeBonheur where he had the brain surgery). He has swelling on the brain. They are still hoping that he will be able to avoid surgery on his lungs, but he is facing a complication now. His stomach is horribly swollen and he hasn't had a bowel movement in over a week. He's a pretty miserable little boy at the moment, but they are all working to stay positive. What makes it worse is that his brothers had all come up hoping to spend the week with him. So they are doing a lot of hanging around waiting. Please take a moment to say a prayer for this family as their struggle continues.

10. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Apr 2, 2006

Prayers to all involved!!!

11. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Apr 10, 2006

Cherry got in touch with us this afternoon to say that Jake was now in ICU because of seizures. At that point the family was hoping it was a result of his low sodium. Now she has emailed us again to say that they just found 2 more tumors on his brain. Their spirits have really fallen at the moment and they truly need your prayers. At this point, the tumors in his lungs are the last thing on their mind. Please take a moment to say a prayer for this family that has been through so much.

12. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Apr 10, 2006

So sorry to hear...my heart goes out to all of them family and that darling of a boy.

13. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Apr 12, 2006

New update...Jake is about to have his second brain surgery in 2 weeks because of the new tumors. The doctor said he feels two will be taken care of with radiation and he can get the other in surgery. However, he told them, "We can't keep doing brain surgery on him every two weeks, though." They are working hard to keep a positive outlook, please send a prayer out for Jake and all of his family as they continue to fight this battle.

14. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Apr 12, 2006

o.k. Christy.

15. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Apr 13, 2006

Sending prayers for that lil' one & his fam!!!!

16. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Apr 13, 2006

The surgery went well. You can check all the details on his site (www.caringbridge.org/la/jakeowen) but basically, because of the placement, the doctor was able to go back in through the same incision and the tumor was located in an area he could get to easily. The best results of a bad situation.

17. Lesley

Lesley Habitué

Apr 14, 2006

Many prayers for this family going through a tremendous ordeal. God Bless.

18. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Apr 18, 2006

Latest update on Jake is mixed. They did allow him to eat a little today, and one small bottle of water (the past day or two has been spent with him crying for anything to drink, even for his medicine because it would mean drinking something. They had to stop him from sucking on the wetwipes they were using on him.) He hasn't been very thirsty today, though, and only ate a few bites, still it's better than nothing. His sodium level is still a concern. He sat in his mom's lap for a few minutes, but was uncomfortable so he laid back down. He is very weak and his stomach is cramping. They also had to give him blood, which has confused the family. With the bone marrow transplant, his blood should be ok. One of the biggest concerns at the moment is his "buddies" (I would assume they are like a portacath.) where they put his iv med in and take blood. They are clogged and not working well. If they don't work tonight he will have to have another line put in. He still has 15 rounds of radiation waiting for him when he gets through this. It's been a couple of weeks since he has been up and walking around. The faimly is working on staying positive. It's been really hard on them all to watch him go through this, but they are staying strong. They have a huge support network of extended family that has done everything they can for them. All of the prayers are here are much appreciated.

19. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Apr 18, 2006

Makes me hug my own kids a little longer and with more vigor after reading about this little guys ordeal. Prayers for he and his family to remain strong and not to give up.

20. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Apr 18, 2006

I've never even met Jake, just several of his family, but my heart breaks every time I find out more info about it. I have forwarded all the posts from here to Cherry and her family. They have a really strong faith and all the prayers mean so much to them.

21. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

May 15, 2006

Just an update. Jake is not doing very well at all. They are trying to stay positive and keep fighting, but it's very uphill at the moment. Please say a quick prayer for this family and they continue their battle.

22. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

May 15, 2006

prayers already sent to heaven:love: ..................

23. Tanya1976

Tanya1976 Rookie

May 15, 2006

I will pray for the family.

24. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

May 18, 2006

More prayers from MI...

25. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

May 23, 2006

Thank you all for the prayers that you have said for Jake. The update tonight isn't good. I'm posting part of it. Please keep them all in your prayers. You can visit his page to read the full update and sign the guestbook at www.caringbridge.org/la/jakeowen.

Of all the scary things Jake has been through, tomorrow's procedure may take the cake. It is right up there with the liver resection surgery that they couldn't guarantee he would even survive (over a year ago!) When Staci and Don decided to go through with the bone marrow transplant, they jumped from the CHEMOtherapy train over to the IMMUNOtherapy track! Now, we are in it thick as thieves. Jake's problems right now basically stem from haveing a very weak and immature immune system. He has new marrow, it just isn't building its own cells like it should yet in order to combat all the infection, yeast, fungus, etc. Lots of these are a biproduct of the meds (namely antibiotics) he has to be on to protect him from bacterial infection. It is like a dadgome vicious cycle. He is still not breathing well, and the docs feel that it is largely due to a yeast infection (candida, for all you nurses) that has settled in hid lungs, and who knows where else. It is showing up in his bloodwork from both lines, so they are going to pull his lines (aka "buddies") tomorrow morning. The usual way they do this is come in, pull back the sheets and yank. It makes me want to throw up just to think about it. His buddies have been stitched into his little chest for two years, and the tissue around it has grown to securely hold it in place, and it has done a great job! We are really blessed that it has made it this long. However, once the candida gets in the line, it is typical for it to cling to the plastic and VERY hard for it to ever clear up with antifungals alone. Jake's persistent fevers and difficulty getting breath is likely due to this infection. In Jake's case, they are going to sedate him in the morning to get the line out. Then, they will put in a new IV in his groin for getting blood draws for labs and to administer meds. He will be a candidate for new buddies in a few days. Ok, that is "simple" enough. However, the biggie is what is happening tomorrow afternoon. They are planning to use granulocytes, in the form of donated white cells, to go in and "clean house" on any fungus/yeast. The problem here is that if Jake's lungs already have hepatoblastoma, yeast, and then get inflamed from the attack, this could be very, "dangerous" to use the doctor's word. They said it could cause an inflammatory process setting up acute respiratory distress. Oh, man! The only way to then treat this would be wiht high dose steroids which has no impact at all on the yeast, and only suppresses what was just purposefully set in motion. Does all that make sense? They said we should know within an hour afterwards how he is going to resond to it. The docs will be hanging around, ready with a VENTILATOR, just in case. Oh, man, again! Basically, there are no other options. Meds are not taking care of the fungus, and in fact it is getting stronger. The lines need to GO because they are infected, and are just sitting there seeding his body. His lungs are getting weaker by the day, and he is really struggling to breathe! So, that is the plan.

I think that I have actually only called out the lurkers one time in the "history" of this website. As for prayer warriors, I will "direct" you with our prayer requests, but even then, I don't think I have pleaded with you for banning together, signing on with prayers, scriptures, etc but a handful of times. This is definitely one of those times!! We NEED you to pray, encourage, send positive affirmations, claim scriptures of strength, hope, and healing!

I asked the docs, after listening to their "worse case scenario" talk if I need to contact our extended family to come in tomorrow. I explained that the whole gang usually comes up for surgeries and "biggies" of the such. They said, "If that is the case, then I would certainly call this a 'biggie'".

26. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

May 23, 2006

Oh Christy...I'm REALLY praying for this young lil' angel...I just couldn't get through this without tears!!! I can't imagine the families fears...I'll be PRAYING for all who love & work w/Jake!!!

27. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

May 28, 2006

I read on the site that Jake had a good day today.

28. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

May 30, 2006

Thank you all for the prayers and for stopping by his site. I was grateful to see that, teacherintexas. I know that they all needed that good day. He's back on his belly and seems to do better there. For anyone interested, they are getting together a prayer vigil for him, for 48 hours. They are asking people to sign up for 48 hour sittings. You can find the latest update on Jake and the information on the vigil at his website:
    http://www.caringbridge.org/la/jakeowen/
    If seeing his pictures and reading the updates gets to you (I know it does to me sometimes, and you just want the page for the vigil it's:
    http://www.caringbridge.org/la/jakeowen/

When I went back to get the addresses for you, I saw that they were asking people to wait to email for the vigil because they had gotten so many. Oops! Just like a teacher, I didn't read all the instructions.

29. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

May 30, 2006

Christy, I checked the site and read the info again...he is so darned cute...I wish them the best and that Jake will get better.

30. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Jun 6, 2006

31. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Jun 6, 2006

This is truly heartbreaking. My prayers to little Jake that he continue to fight. He's such a little angel.

32. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jun 15, 2006

I checked his site today. It sounds like Jake's doing well. He's starting to wake up. He was on some paralyzing meds when he was on the vent. He's taking some breaths on his own, and will have another transplant on Friday I think.

Two little boys at the same hospital (I think) died recently. I read their sites. One was a six year old who was a triplet- the other two boys are fine. He had some rare cancer. The other little boy was about four and had ALL. It's just heartbreaking. Both of them were just beautiful.

33. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Jun 15, 2006

I had been keeping up with Jacob (the triplet). It was heartbreaking to see them lose two friends in one day.
    The family sent out an email today that they really think Jake is turning a corner. Between the two prayer vigils there was almost a solid week of consistent prayer for him. He'll be having the second bone marrow transplant in a few days. That'll be another milestone for him.

34. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Jun 15, 2006

Christy, I've been checking on Jake on a regular basis...I'm praying for the bone marrow to do it's job once transplanted!!!

The journal from Jacob (the triplet's) mom is just heartbreaking...tears running down my face!!! Those bright blue baby blues!!! I'm praying for that family as well!!!

35. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Jun 15, 2006

I know, I saw those eyes and was hooked. They know they still have a long road with Jake, but they are really feeling good about where he is right now.

36. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Jun 15, 2006

Thank you all for keeping up with him, too. Cherry told me that they the family had discussed over and over how they couldn't make it without all the extra support. The extra prayer, the love.
    Thanks for keeping up with him.

37. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Jun 20, 2006

THings are looking up...prayers for that little Jake to be strong!!! Those baby twins are soooo tiny!!!

38. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Jun 24, 2006

I know some of you have been keeping up with Jake, but I wanted to update the others. He's doing really well right now. He has been completely removed from the vent and best of all, last night his parents both got to hold him. He still has a lot of obstacles to overcome, but they are all in a really good place right now.
    Please continue to keep them in your prayers. It is amazing to see what our prayers have already done.

39. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jun 27, 2006

Good thoughts are w/ Jake. There's nothing more heartbreaking than an ill child because they are so innocent & defenseless. I almost went to grad school to get an MS degree in Child Life. I even went to the children's wing of a local hospital to observe the staff treating sick children. It was so sad to see all those sick little children.

40. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Jun 27, 2006

Christy,
    Through Jake's site..I've been checking on the twins Asher & Jacob & Benny...Benny passed last nite & the twins not too well...prayers for them!!

41. kathy2215

kathy2215 Companion

Jun 30, 2006

My heart goes out to your family and I hope the best for you. I have a friend who lost a son and has a sick daughter from cancer. My mom died of cancer So I feel for his family I will keep him in my thoughts and prayers