Pray for my student and her loved ones.

Discussion in 'Prayer Request Forum' started by Leatherneck for Life, Sep 30, 2016.

1. Leatherneck for Life

Leatherneck for Life Rookie

Sep 30, 2016

I teach history and literature in a Christian high school. There is a junior girl in one of my history classes. She's sixteen, very smart and quite the debater. She could take control of a discussion with little effort. Well, over the past few weeks or so, I noticed a change in her. Her grades were slipping, she was becoming very quiet, and she started wearing a heavy layer of makeup. I had my suspicions, but I dismissed it as "she's a teenager, she'll go through strange changes". Then one Friday, her boyfriend, came to me after class looking really upset. He said she was shutting him out and when they were together, she didn't seem to want to go home. I suggested he take her somewhere quiet on Saturday and try to get her to talk to him. In the meantime, I brought my concerns to the Principal and other school authorities. Principal said he would deal with it.

Well, the next day in the afternoon, I get a call. I give my cell number to all parents just in case they need to speak with me about their child's performance in class. It turns out, that the girl, whose parents are divorced; the mother's boyfriend had been beating her, touching her inappropriately, and then ultimately raped her.. I never got the impression that things were hunky dory between her and the mother, but to this extent... Jesus. She ran away devastated to her boyfriend's house and his parents called the police. Both the mother and her partner were taken in custody. The girl stayed at her boyfriend's house for the night. The girl's father was away on a work-related trip, but he came back and now she's living with him.

As for me, I'm trying to treat this as if everything is normal. No victim wants to be reminded that things are wrong in their lives and neither do their loved ones. The girl and her boyfriend are together almost all the time during their breaks, and I could tell she needs him to feel safe. He really cares about her and is putting everything into being a source of love, safety, comfort, and happiness for her. Her friends are also there to support her. The father is obviously very devoted and his daughter is his entire world. His new wife also obviously cares more about her than her real "mother" ever did.

The abuser's going to obviously be charged with aggravated rape and assault. The mother will hopefully be charged as an accomplice and with the endangerment of the welfare of a minor. This is going to court soon. I'm praying justice be done.

I need you to pray for this girl's physical, mental, and emotional recovery. Pray for the boyfriend that the love he has in his heart for this girl is stronger than all the hatred and anger he has towards her abusers. Pray that he'll do whatever it takes to help her in her recovery. Pray for her father that he gets sole custody of his daughter and that he'll provide her a safe, loving environment to live in. Pray that justice be done and the abuser doesn't see the outside of a prison until they stick him in the grave. Also pray that he'll find redemption in prison. As for the mother, pray that she receive the proper punishment for her negligence and that she too find redemption. Lord knows she has lost the right to call herself a mother.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2016
  3. Obadiah

Obadiah Groupie

Oct 1, 2016

I will definitely be praying concerning this horrible situation!

As an outsider reading your post, I'm seeing some precautions, too; I trust your judgment as a professional, but sometimes it's good to see things from an outside perspective. The red flag I noticed was that the girl has been relying heavily on the boyfriend; he's 16 also, and 16-year-olds are still developing in their social learning. In this horrible situation, it's wonderful that she has a friend among her peers to confide in and trust, and that his parents are so helpful. Most importantly, she needs adults to rely on. Teenagers change as they grow, and "romantic" friendships change. Today's culture tends to put pressure on kids to view boy-girl friendships as romantic rather than as an actual friendship, although from your post, this couple seems to be an exception. Teenagers are also still developing in how they deal with various hardships in life, and these two are dealing with one of the worst of possible tragedies. Even adults have difficulties dealing with such circumstances, but these are just kids. My mind keeps going back to a friend's teenage boy, whose father divorced the mother and at the same time the boy's girlfriend rejected him; he committed suicide. This is a lot for kids to deal with; they need consistent caring adults more than ever, both the boy and the girl.

4. Leatherneck for Life

Oct 1, 2016

Hey, it's out of my hands now. I'm a teacher, not a therapist. She's getting professional counseling too, and I'm glad for that.

5. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Oct 1, 2016

Prayers for all of them as they move forward.

6. Leatherneck for Life

Oct 7, 2016

Well, I think I did okay on the stand. So did the principal. The girl's boyfriend is testifying next week, as is his mother. Please pray that he contains his anger on the stand, no matter how justified his feelings are. I can tell you that if my wife were the victim, I would probably be burning with unbelievable pain and rage just like this boy.

Pray that he keeps a cool head and remembers that he is there, essentially, to protect the girl he loves by helping the state put the man who hurt her behind bars. He won't achieve this by angry outbursts, he needs to answer the prosecutor's questions to the point and add or omit nothing. He needs to act like a young man and not flip out on the defense attorney no matter how invasive his questions may be ( I have a few choice words to say about that attorney myself). So far, I'm very proud of him with the way he's been handling the situation.

The girl seems much happier now (she's also getting counseling with a woman therapist), and I think a lot of credit should go to her boyfriend for that. I also give a lot of credit to her father and stepmother, the latter of whom is trying to be the mother figure this girl should have had all her life. Both these kids have shown maturity and strength beyond their years, and this is going to be a test for him, not just of that maturity, but of faith as well.

7. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Oct 8, 2016

Prayers for all to keep their smarts during this time.
    So glad people are in here life supporting here.

8. Leatherneck for Life

Oct 8, 2016

Yeah, thanks for the prayers. I'm glad the school staff takes this situation seriously too. I ask her if she's doing okay when she hands in her work, but in order to not single her out, I make sure to ask that of every student.

9. Leatherneck for Life

Oct 12, 2016

The prosecutor's almost finished presenting his case. The defense attorney will be calling his witnesses soon. Well, I would be very surprised if this case continues far into November.